The list of shame fake 4K dash cameras Ultra HD

you must have seen well lit scenes, in low light the 750 performs better than the 900

I will add my opinion to the 750 VS 900 argument.. To me, if I'm paying $379 for the 750 at 1080 (and there are plenty of good 1080P setups that could be had for a much better price if I didn't want the 4K) the $100 more for the industries best 4K 8MP camera is a no brainer... if it's only low light you are worried about, you can just set the camera to the 1080p setting but will always have the option to turn on 4K (long daylight trips, or when it fits).

Cropping don't work, you will have to bin those pixels instead.
It is what i am hoping for regarding 4K cameras, so full sensor 4K in the daytime, pixel binned 1080p in the evening, with some form of automated change in between the two modes of operation.
Or a super duper 4K sensor, which i also think are out there reading up on some sensors, but these we will not see in dashcams anytime soon i am afraid.

Larger sensor size is best way

Dashcams seem to be limited to very small 1/3" sensors even though they would benefit a great deal from larger sensors and lenses for more light gathering.

A 1" sensor would have 9 times the surface area

A lot of these devices are sold on Amazon. Last time I looked you can easily report a listing if it is inaccurate and typically Amazon suspend the listing until they have checked

So do you not just need to report these “not really 4K” cameras via the Amazon site which in itself would send a pretty clear message to those listing stuff who think they can get away with things.

Sorry if you have already done this.

A lot of these devices are sold on Amazon. Last time I looked you can easily report a listing if it is inaccurate and typically Amazon suspend the listing until they have checked

So do you not just need to report these “not really 4K” cameras via the Amazon site which in itself would send a pretty clear message to those listing stuff who think they can get away with things.

not sure how much weight they put on those types of reports, particularly if you haven't purchased the product, given the amount of clueless (and fake) reviews most products have that praise the products it might be a hard job to convince them of the problem

not sure how much weight they put on those types of reports, particularly if you haven't purchased the product, given the amount of clueless (and fake) reviews most products have that praise the products it might be a hard job to convince them of the problem
I have a family friend who has built quite a business on Amazon and she tells me that actually most of the time she is almost in fear of this sort of thing.
Because Amazon are so focused on customer service, it can only take a couple of reports to destroy a business. They really do take these sort of reports very seriously
I’m not suggesting a load of forum members all jump on Amazon and complain in order to destroy a business but it really doesn’t take much for Amazon to suspend a listing and then investigate. And of course if the listing is genuinely wrong, the seller gets a strike and the listing gets pulled
I was quite surprised by the level sellers on Amazon are held to but it’s good for customers.

I purchased, reviewed and returned a fake 4K dashcam by Aukey, one of the big electronics companies. I stated 'product not as described' in my reason for the return and stated it was not real 4K. I also left a 3* review on Amazon stating it was not a real 4K product. In addition to the hassle-free return, Aukey tried to placate me by offering a replacement dashcam for free, which I turned down. I didn't increase my star rating either. It's still for sale, and lots of people are giving it 5* reviews.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0771DYFTZ

I purchased, reviewed and returned a fake 4K dashcam by Aukey, one of the big electronics companies. I stated 'product not as described' in my reason for the return and stated it was not real 4K. I also left a 3* review on Amazon stating it was not a real 4K product. In addition to the hassle-free return, Aukey tried to placate me by offering a replacement dashcam for free, which I turned down. I didn't increase my star rating either. It's still for sale, and lots of people are giving it 5* reviews.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0771DYFTZ
I think the key is to actively report the listing rather than just leaving a bad review and return the item

I had similar with my recent purchase of a DDpai mini3. I returned it because the quality was so poor and whilst I appreciate the seller following up to find out why, the offer of a good discount to keep the product in order to placate me are just wrong. On stuff like this, I don't want poor image quality at any price

I think the key is to actively report the listing rather than just leaving a bad review and return the item

I had similar with my recent purchase of a DDpai mini3. I returned it because the quality was so poor and whilst I appreciate the seller following up to find out why, the offer of a good discount to keep the product in order to placate me are just wrong. On stuff like this, I don't want poor image quality at any price
Maybe I was too polite? It's not a bad camera for the asking price. Just falsely advertised, that's all!

Maybe I was too polite? It's not a bad camera for the asking price. Just falsely advertised, that's all!
Your review explaining the fake 4K is fairly obvious to those that bother to read the non-5 star reviews, so probably a better result than it being removed and then relisted without your review!

And a lot of people seem very happy with it, so as you say, not a bad camera. If people don't bother to find places like dashcamtalk to find out which are truly good value then they know they are taking a bit of a gamble.

We can win only if we will return back to sellers the false advertised products! More returns, more changes to win.

I was fighting against fake 4K action cameras here. Now is time to fight against fake 4K dashcams! This is the biggest dashcam forum in the world so we should raise our voices.
4K Ultra HD resolution is 3840x2160 and FPS over 24FPS. 2880x2160 found on some dashcams is not 4K, is just 2160p and you will see that in reality is just 2K! The camera is recording the video at 2880x2160 but in the header of the videos is written an information for the player which is telling him to play the video file at 3840x2140, so the player is making a resize of the image. You will see in reality a 2880 resized to 3840 but keep in mind that also that 2880 was resized by the camera software before encoding the image into the video.
It is expected that some manufacturers to use some poor chipsets which are resizing a Full HD video to 4K and in this way they will cheat you. Is expected such manufacturers to not use real 8MP CMOS so we can catch them here but also their video could be recorded at just 15-20FPS which is also fake.

Please look at this image to understand why is so needed a camera to be a real 4K. We need that much more video information over the Full HD. We do not need a FullHD or a 2K resized to Ultra HD because we are not obtaining more details on our videos because we will have the same Full HD or 2K recorded at higher bitrate and wasting space on the card.

View attachment 36711

The golden rule: a 4K dashcam must to have at least a real 8MP Image Sensor. No 8MP at least = fake 4K.

How to look if a camera is a fake 4K:
1. The real 8MP CMOS specifications: must to contain at least 3840x2160 resolution
  1. Chipset specifications: must to contain at least 3840x2160 resolution; but take care to the FPS because recording at everything under 24FPS is considered fake because Ultra HD standards are not accepting FPS like 20FPS, 10FPS, 15FPS. Normally UltraHD is over 30FPS.
  1. Brand (an well known brand are expected to release real 4K dash cameras)
  2. Price: right now is expected a real 4K camera to cost over $150 China price

The list of fake 4K dashcameras you should not buy:
1. Aukey 4K dash cam DR02 J. Reason: Aptina AR0521 CMOS which is just 5MP = 2.5K, not 4K. Aukey was releasing also fake 4K action cameras so creating fakes is a common thing for them.
View attachment 36710

1. Rove R2-4K Reason: OV4689 4MP CMOS. Trying to cheat you that 4MP = 4K. No! 4MP = 2K. 4K needs 8MP CMOS.
  2. Azdome GS63H Reason: OV4689 4MP CMOS. Trying to cheat you that 4MP = 4K. No! 4MP = 2K. 4K needs 8MP CMOS.
  3. Rexing V1 4K UHD Reason: OV4689 4MP CMOS. Trying to cheat you that 4MP = 4K. No! 4MP = 2K. 4K needs 8MP CMOS.
  4. Acekool 4K Dash Cam Reason: OV4689 4MP CMOS. Trying to cheat you that 4MP = 4K. No! 4MP = 2K. 4K needs 8MP CMOS.

As you can see most of them are using the OmniVision OV4689 4MP CMOS. On its specification it is written: The 1/3-inch OV4689 (which is a small sensor compared to others) can capture full-resolution 4-megapixel high definition (HD) . This 4MP does not means the video is recorded at 4K (3840x2160p), but it can be recorded up to 2688x1520 (4085760 pixels = 4MP) which is only about 2K resolution. So in reality you will have a Full HD or 2K video resized to 4K Ultra HD. Very Fake!
The Aptina 0521 size is 1/2.5" which is bigger than 1/3" OV4689 which means more details and better for Aptina and it also have more pixels: 5MP vs 4MP. But the Aptina maximum resolution is just 2592x1944 (5MP) so it is not even 2880x2160p as Aukey declared. They are doing software resizing.
Both OV4689 and AR0521 are offering smaller images than the declared 2160p and this means the 2880x2160p image from the cameras specifications are also fake! So even the declared 4K Horizontally Interpolated 2880x2160p image is fake!

The fake 4K cameras from the same manufacturer costs a little more compared to their Full HD versions just to take more money from you, by cheating you, because on the case is printed that fake 4K Ultra HD.
For example the Rexing V1 Full HD version is with Sony Exmor chipset and costs about $100. The Rexing V1 4K is with OV4689, a cheaper CMOS compared to Sony Exmor but it costs 40% more ($140) just because they printed the fake 4K resolution on the case. So you will pay 40% more just to be cheated.

To be continued...
Please report!
Please, not too much offtopic. I will add your reported cameras to first post of this thread.

enjoy,
Mtz

very userfully thread! Many products exaggerated the video resolution to cheat the consumer. it is so badly.

So many fake 4K dash cam on amazon!
As a non professional conumer,how we can check our 4K dash cam if is real 4K?
Now i share a simple method:
Normally the resolution of computer is under 4K.So most of the computer can not play 4K video.If you can play your dashcam video on your computer.You need to doubt your dashcam,s resolution.
But some notebook computer or smart phone.

It is a real 4K camera, image quality may not be great, but that is mainly due to having a bitrate no better than many 1080 cameras
Nah, it's mainly because the optics needed for 4K are very expensive so, in a way, all 4K dashcams are "fake".

Back