200GB microSD cards now available on Amazon.

Not sure on why the font size changes for the quotes. I checked the BB Code and it seems that a size was selected. Doesn't happen frequently I don't think.

only $240 for a 200Gb card, how cheap is that. When I first went digital (in photography) in 2004, My first CF memory card 512meg (half a gig) cost me in those days over £125

pretty amazing as it is that they can cram 200gb into such a small form factor
I started working in IT back in the mid 1960's. The first memory expansion unit I can remember was a 4K (characters at 6 bits each plus parity bit plus 'word mark') memory unit for an IBM 1401 mainframe computer. The cabinet was about 1.5m x 1.0m x 1.0m, was on wheels and took 2 people to move it around. :eek:

The memory itself consisted of individual iron cores with wires running through them and were assembled by hand. The attached pictures show the cabinet, core panel and a closeup of individual cores (bits in today's nomenclature).

Edit: To put this in perspective it takes 609,039K to store 301 seconds of video from my SG9665GC - or 2,023K per second. This memory expansion could store about .002 seconds of video (4 divided by 2,023).

To say that I'm amazed by the level of data density today would be a gross understatement.

1406.jpg core.jpg cores.jpg

Last edited:
I was at a place today called the Powerhouse Museum and they had a part of the first computer in Australia from 1959 which basically took up half a room, don't think it could even do a lot really, I'm sure it was impressive back in the day though

In 1994 I spent $1000 on 40 Megabytes of Ram for my 66Mz computer.
It was a worthwhile investment in my business because it allowed me to do things in Photoshop 3.0 that nobody else could do at that time.
Later that year I bought a "huge" 300MB SCSI hard disk drive that I recall I paid about $375 dollars for which was an excellent price at the time.

Twenty one years later $240.00 as the initial introductory price for a tiny 200 Gigabyte memory card that can sit on the end of a fingertip doesn't seem all that bad in the scheme of things.
There is technology in the works that will make it seem like a quaint antique in a few short years from now.

hardrivewaitingfor.jpg

In 1994 I spent $1000 on 40 Megabytes of Ram for my 66Mz computer.
It was a worthwhile investment in my business because it allowed me to do things in Photoshop 3.0 that nobody else could do at that time.
Later that year I bought a "huge" 300MB SCSI hard disk drive that I recall I paid about $375 dollars for which was an excellent price at the time.

Twenty one years later $240.00 as the initial introductory price for a tiny 200 Gigabyte memory card that can sit on the end of a fingertip doesn't seem all that bad in the scheme of things.
There is technology in the works that will make it seem like a quaint antique in a few short years from now.

View attachment 14467
I guess I got a really good deal on my first HD expansion back in the early '80's. Picked up a 10MB drive for $600... :(

This was to expand an 8088 based, dual 5 1/4" floppy drive, 512K memory system that cost about $4K... :(:(:(

It's really been fascinating/exciting/scary watching this technology evolve. I could not have picked a better career field to get into at the time I did. :)

my children just don’t know how cheap their internet and technology is

my first computer in 1987,was Atari ST1040, about £750 came with one meg RAM, and with that one meg it had to run the OS and the application, now days I shouldn’t think these’s much one can fit on one meg.

in 1990 30meg HD for this Atari, was £300

in 1992 I got my first Apple Mac, an Apple LCII, £900 and it came with 4meg Ram and 40 Meg HD, can’t even fit 3 digital photos on that HD now, the 40meg HD it came with, was about 15cm x 12cm x 5cm and felt like a house hold brick :)

got the internet in 1994 and was with Apple’s eWorld,

With my dial-up, speed was 14.4 kb/s. sending a one meg B/W image in size to someone at the other end of eWorld, after 40 minutes and only able to send just under half a meg, I gave up and stopped

I was paying BT (the phone provider) £0.30p a minute (£18 per hour off peak and weekends) and then Apple’s eWorld another £1.95 per hour to be on line,

was costing me about £20 per hour to be connected to a very slow network, to put that in perspective,

Now Virgin media, 100meg download £13.5 a month unlinited

I'm sure when my children get to my age, they'll look back and think just how prehistoric our technology of today is

Last edited:
hehe :D
Some how i hope for things to keep on going at the same pace, then i will be able to jump in a time machine and go back and tell myself to dont do this and this stupid things, and since i feel what i feel about sertain things when i go old do this and this to not go there.

And with any luck my old self should then vaporize in front of my old self as i will never have any reason to go back to myself in the past, and if things dont work that way well, then the me setting off on a parralel timelime will be much smarter and a lot happier when he grow old.

PS. If "the fruit company" have its way ppl in the future, as now ppl will still pay premium price for the new stuff they buy, but i do have a hope ppl will actually start to smarten up soon.

DashCamMan just updated the calculator page. :)

https://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

Recording Time Calculator

hWgDUMd.png

30 hours at 15Mbps!!

Give it a few weeks and we'll be hearing of plenty of issues with $19.99 eBay 200GB cards :)

I feel sorry for the plonker who's bidding on it!

I'm sure when my children get to my age, they'll look back and think just how prehistoric our technology of today is
Just as we look at CD's and DVD's as things of the past. :)

Back