Thinkware F750 Card Error

My US-purchased F750 came with a puny 16GB card and I wanted to swap in a (suitably fast) larger 3rd-party 32GB card instead. The dashcam complained about memory card errors just like you said when I attempted to start it up with the pre-formatted card fresh from the card's packaging.

I just got off the phone with ThinkWare tech support and discovered the secret to using a 3rd party MicroSD card with the unit. Format the new card using Windows (don't know about Mac options) and select the "exFAT" format and the 128kb allocation unit size. I did that on my PC, then put the newly-formatted card in the DashCam and it started up normally. Upon successful startup, I used the dashcam's "Format" button to ensure that the card was ready to use, and then browsed/adjusted all my settings to ensure that it was still they way I liked it. Done.

I wish it was that simple. I did all that and still no go. There's something else going on that has to do with the technicalities of the particular card itself. I'm not going to spend any more money on cards until Thinkware start selling their own. Then if they don't work, there won't be any guessing...it's back to you Thinkware for an answer

yeah not so sure about the advice to format the new card exFAT, cards over 32gb are already formatted exFAT

Thanks Scott.
I tried most of that with the exception of the 128kb. the card from Thinkware was 32kb allocation size. I shall try it with my Toshiba and see what happens.
When I telephoned Thinkware about something else I had great difficulty in understanding the chap I spoke to so I emailed regarding the card problem and they ignored me. Perhaps I now have the answer.
So far I am very pleased with the F750. I have it installed in my car and my wife's. Just hope I never have to use it in anger!

I have a Thinkware F750 (2CH) which comes with 32GB card. I have a 64GB microSD XC UHS-1 card which I wish to use. When it is inserted the F750 says card error and restarts (again and again). Anyone know what could be wrong??

Hi guys, after doing some research on dash cams I chose the Thinkware F750 (2CH) with 16GB card. I had the device professionally hard wired and all works well. However I out smarted myself in getting the 16GB card thinking I'll be saving a few dollars by not going for the larger card, and latter I'll up date to a 32gb or 64GB non OEM card. So after more research off I go and buy a Samsung 32GB EVO Plus class 10 from a reputable retailer. (not e-bay).

After formatting the card I got a memory card error and system restarting message, sometimes this may happen only once before getting the correct message, but when I stop and start the car frequently after a few short trips the error persists and throws in "insert a memory card system restarting" or something similar. This can go on for the entire trip or till I pull over and power the device down. Sometimes the card works as it should and sometimes it doesn't, thats when the error messages start. Of course I want a card to work all the time when I'm on the road. I've replaced it with the original Thinkward 16GB card and the device now works as its suppose to.

I contacted the local Thinkware customer support service asking if they sell their OEM cards. I was told I could order one through any Thinkware distributer. I did this and they said they will order one for me. A short time latter I was contact by the distributer saying Thinkware don't supply their cards and I should be able to purchase any class 10 card from any supply. Of course now I'm regretting I didn't get the larger card.

So after reading most of the threads about the F750 I'm none the wiser on what card to buy. I know I'm not the only F750 owner thats had problems with their third party memory cards, so is it something you were able to fix or have you had no problems at all from the start. I can't afford to have a card that will work at the start of the day and then experience problems later that same day. Thinkware just gives the impression that any class 10 card will work fine, well I'll like to tell them that that is not the case.

As I said the Thinkware 16GB works well but I'd prefer a larger card when I do longer trips, and what I've read these memory cards don't last for ever so at some stage we'll all have to buy new cards.

So can you guys tell me what card your using. These cards can get quite expensive and I don't like throwing money down the drain.

Thanks guys

there isn't much point asking for suggestions on what to buy, design spec of cards from even the same make and model might be different between batches made. in short, I could give you the name of mine, you could buy it and it might not work.

we don't know what the design spec is needed for the camera to work correctly but clearly its quite picky, its important to note that it is nothing to do with class rating or speed.

if you do insist in knowing what folk use, you will need more that the brand and the size, you will need the exact model number
for example

Sandisk 128GB
SDSDQUA-128G-G46A Micro SDXC Mobile Ultra Class 10 UHS

in theory that will statistically improve your chances of getting a working card but as with all statistics, there is always a chance it wont work, so don't spend money you cant afford to waste if the card doesn't work

Great idea Gill. Lets get a List going on what card works and doesn't work.

Its not a great idea, its shoddy at best and will result in people buying cards based on this list that won't work

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Dee_82
if you do insist in knowing what folk use, you will need more that the brand and the size, you will need the exact model number.

I understand what your saying, basically it's a hit or miss situation when buying new cards.

The card I spoke of in my previous post was a Samsung 32GB microSDHC UHS-I model: MB-MC32D. When I find one that finally works I won't be experimenting any further with other brands/models.

Cheers
GILL

I think you misunderstood my response.

Only post what is tested and working from others. It's just some extra info.
People can then decide if they want to take the risk and purchase the card.

It's better than blindly purchasing random cards don't you agree ?

Its not a great idea, its shoddy at best and will result in people buying cards based on this list that won't work

Well as it turned out it was a great idea and I thank you for supplying those card details in your previous post. I understand what may work for you may not work for other but people have to start from somewhere rather than a hit or miss approach. So I took the punt and purchased a 64GB SanDisk, model: SDSDQUA-064G-UQ46A. Guess what...it works perfectly. I dropped the card in and it went straight to continuous recording mode. It didn't however ask me to format the card which I was expecting it to.

Anyhow after an hour and a half driving with a couple of stops all my recordings show up on my phone and computer.

I hope this is a starting point for other people that may be looking for a replacement card or just updating like me.

Cheers

Too bad with the dashcams that only work with some brands/modelss of memory, its the same with RAM for computer motherbords, but thankfully the motherbord makers have lists of RAM that will work good with ther bord.
But those lists are often short and so if you like me is/was a entusiast user you will find the high end RAM you intend to buy will not be on the list for the motherbord.
But i only encountered RAM problems on a motherbord 1 time, and that was back in 2001, back when a 1400 MHZ cpu was pretty good,and it was a build for a friend with cheap RAM modules.

Dashcam makers should really list what memory cards ther cameras are tested with, there is still a lot of memory cards to choose from.
Some recomend stupendous fast memory cards though the camera only unload < 5 MB/ second to the memory card, so its a bit wierd they recomend memory cards with > 40 MB/s write speeds.

The kingston SDXC cards i use the most have pretty mondane write speeds, Less then 20 MB/s as i recall, and i often use even slower SDHC 4 Gb cards to flash the firmware on cameras.

As long as people are aware that it might not work its fine, but I remember a time with another online community where a similar problem with SD cards and phones was going on, some folk were extremely pissed for buying a card which didn't work. We really don't want to go down that road, more so if its money these people don't have to waste. Make a list if you want but it needs to be big and bold that it might not work

there isn't much point asking for suggestions on what to buy, design spec of cards from even the same make and model might be different between batches made. in short, I could give you the name of mine, you could buy it and it might not work.

we don't know what the design spec is needed for the camera to work correctly but clearly its quite picky, its important to note that it is nothing to do with class rating or speed.

if you do insist in knowing what folk use, you will need more that the brand and the size, you will need the exact model number
for example

Sandisk 128GB
SDSDQUA-128G-G46A Micro SDXC Mobile Ultra Class 10 UHS

in theory that will statistically improve your chances of getting a working card but as with all statistics, there is always a chance it wont work, so don't spend money you cant afford to waste if the card doesn't work

Hi Dee 82

Can you confirm that you are using this 128Gb card?

I've just ordered my camera, but need a 128Gb card for it.

Thanks
Phil

Just purchased my F750 front, X500 rear, Hardwire kit, 2 add-a-circuit taps & 64GB MicroSD card from Amazon. Amazon was having a $110 off sale for the Thinkware products. The F750 was $219.99. The sale is over now and the price is back to $283. Usually it's a little under $300. Amazon still has $20 off coupon for the X500 rear cam and $10 off the hardwire cable kit for the thinkware.

I got the Thinkware F750, X500 & Hardwire kit for $317US before taxes. Add the MicroSD card + Add-a-circuit fuse taps and tax grand total was $381US.

The amazon ad for the F750 unit doesn't state what size MicroSD card it comes with. I went ahead and ordered a 64GB Sandisk anyways. Well when my F750 unit arrived it came with a 16GB Thinkware MicroSD card. I took my 64GB MicroSD card and popped it into the unit and for now everything works with no errors. My computer says it has 59GB of available space.

I ran tests on the Sandisk 64GB MicroSD card because there are a lot of amazon reviews claiming fakes and counterfeits are sold. I used CrystalDisk software and it came in at about 37mb read and write just incase anyone is wondering.

Here is the model # of the MicroSD card by Sandisk

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00M55C1I2
SDSDQUAN-064G-G4A [Old Version]

I purposely bought this "Old Version" instead of the newer updated version because the model # was closest to the one posted by member "GILL" in Post # 32

I tried searching for the specific model # s/he posted which was "SDSDQUA-064G-UQ46A" and found 0 results on Amazon so I decided to take a risk and purchase the one I posted above.

I am slightly worried because it seems like the MicroSD card problem usually occurs after 2+ weeks of use. I'll find out eventually. The 64GB Thinkware MicroSD card is about $80!

I just purchased the Samsung Pro+ microSDXC 64gb form Best Buy (on sale now for $29.99 with a 95 read/90 write speed). Specific model #: MB-MD64DA/AM. I purchased 2, one for the F750 and one for other devices. The card works out of the box in the Thinkware F750 Dashcam. It comes formatted exFAT but I did re-format it exFAT in my sole Windows PC using Windows XP and didn't have to change the allocation to 128kb as mentioned in a previous post. Looking forward to attaching the rear cam at some point today and using the hard-wire option.

anyone tried this?

• Lexar hardware
  • Model: microSDXC™ data storage card
  • Model no: LSDMI64GBBANZ633R
  • Colour: Blue/white/black
  • Capacity: 128GB

I just tried a Sandisk 128GB card from Amazon
Website shows that it is a SDSQUNC-128G-GZFMA but there's no such marking on the card which is worrying
However it passed h2testw_1.4 and seems to work fine in the F750

I just tried a Sandisk 128GB card from Amazon
Website shows that it is a SDSQUNC-128G-GZFMA but there's no such marking on the card which is worrying
However it passed h2testw_1.4 and seems to work fine in the F750

That's good news.

Back