Thinkware F750 Hardwire Issue

ryankluger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just bought F750 along with hardwire kit. My car is Toyota highlander and I've been able to locate fuses for installation. I tapped red power cable to 'Dome' which provides continuous battery and yellow cable to 'cigarette lighter' fuse, and black cable to chassis bolt. However, no matter what I tried, the camera has no power. So I tested cable and fuse tap using Ω setting in multimeter, and have following result.

I tested fuse tap in a different way, placing meter leads one at each end of fuse or cable, meter beeps and reads near zero.

Then I touched meter probe to tips of the two ends of yellow cable, it also beeps. However, when I touched probe to the tips of the two ends of red power cable, no beeps and meter reads nothing at all.
I got confused, does this mean my red power cable is faulty and broken? or is this normal and it's meant to be like this?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I just bought F750 along with hardwire kit. My car is Toyota highlander and I've been able to locate fuses for installation. I tapped red power cable to 'Dome' which provides continuous battery and yellow cable to 'cigarette lighter' fuse, and black cable to chassis bolt. However, no matter what I tried, the camera has no power. So I tested cable and fuse tap using Ω setting in multimeter, and have following result.

I tested fuse tap in a different way, placing meter leads one at each end of fuse or cable, meter beeps and reads near zero.

Then I touched meter probe to tips of the two ends of yellow cable, it also beeps. However, when I touched probe to the tips of the two ends of red power cable, no beeps and meter reads nothing at all.
I got confused, does this mean my red power cable is faulty and broken? or is this normal and it's meant to be like this?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

open circuit my friend (a brake in the wire )

This is my first thought, but I bought this kit brand new.. Unlikely to be faulty, maybe because the parking mode feature? The red cable can only be switched to closed circuit when key is removed? Anyone who bought this can test if red cable always has a closed circuit?

There should be a fuse holder on the red wire - check the fuse.

I solved the problem with a bit luck. Before making hardwiring work, I need to tap the yellow cable to red cable, this is kind of to activate something so the cam can be powered on.

That's how it is supposed to work. The red wire is for permanent power and the yellow for switched power. When power is applied to the yellow wire the dashcam will go to continuous mode, and when it is removed it will go to parking mode. If you have not connected the yellow wire to a point in the car which is powered when the ignition is on, then the dashcam will not operate.

Back