Thinkware F770

Yeah, the problem with thinkware is that the camera is great but they fill it with crap such as the lane warning system and the collision avoidance, I mean, yeah you CAN have these things turned on but if for a second I as a driver thought I needed such things I should pull the car over and either go to sleep or cut my licence up. features that would be cool are things like tracking, add a 3G SIM card and let the camera track the car, perhaps even have a remote camera function, have remote module that can be hidden for GPS tracking so a would be thief wouldn't beable to disable it by just pulling the plug.. Have a proper Web based interface rather than bespoke OS APPs. they need to push the bit rate harder, I know its limited by the SOC on this unit but its a limitation they need to get around somehow, if they could even get it up to 15Mbps it would help reduce some of the artefacts that the camera has in bright lit / dark conditions.

you mentioned the SoC they use wasn't capable of dealing with more than 20Mbps from dual cameras, that limitation needs to be overcome

that's a chipset issue, not something they can fix themselves
I know, which is why I said the need to overcome the limitations of the SoC they use, I think you mentioned that the disabling of features would allow for 15Mbps on that SoC but if they could change the SoC or think of an alternative work around, 2 SD cards for example (not ideal at all but all I can think of just now! :) ) then that would be a work around

I think you mentioned that the disabling of features would allow for 15Mbps

no

in single channel mode it will happily run at 40mbit, dual channel it gets flaky at anything over about 20mbit total for both streams, it's a hardware limitation, it's an Ambarella problem

I'm sure it was yourself that said it can do more than it does if they didn't have all the crap running on it, but I defer to your better understanding on the matter. In any case, i still think the F770 is just a redesigned F750 with no added benefit, if they had pushed the bar out and changed the SoC perhaps they could have got more out of it? Are there any SoCs out there that will allow for dual 15Mbps yet?

I'm sure it was yourself that said it can do more than it does if they didn't have all the crap running on it

not something I would have said as that's not an issue, I wouldn't run all that ADAS crap anyway, it's all sales gimmick stuff, strip down to the basic record only functionality and it still won't do better than 20mbit combined for the 2 channels

In any case, i still think the F770 is just a redesigned F750 with no added benefit

I don't know what's changed but it doesn't seem like a lot has

Are there any SoCs out there that will allow for dual 15Mbps yet?

yes

The Panorama X2 has been available for over a year, & offers 15Mbps front & rear ...

https://dashcamtalk.com/panorama-x2/

I wouldn't classify that as doing what he asks as it actually has 2 processors, it's effectively two cameras that share a screen and power supply

nothing in the A7 chipset family can do better for dual channel, don't know if any of the A12 models can do it, remains to be seen I guess, I used to do Ambarella product but have lost faith in their chipsets, I think a lot of their perceived appeal was riding off the back of a 'GoPro use it so it must be the best' marketing spin, I really think they've failed to deliver on a lot of their product range unfortunately

I wouldn't classify that as doing what he asks as it actually has 2 processors, it's effectively two cameras that share a screen and power supply

I know, but I was answering the question he should've asked ... are there any DashCams out there that will allow for dual 15Mbps yet? :)

Dual channel at 15mbit or greater on each channel on a single processor product can be done, just not using the chipset they use

First time poster here.
Never owned a dashcam before but the F770 has tempted me.
Phoned Thinkware Uk this morn and their stock has been shipped and they're expecting delivery soon.
Was hoping to read a few more reviews first so will probably delay ordering.

Pre order placed, hope I do not have to wait long :)

Last edited:
If I don't already have a setup or upgrading from a lower end 1-ch system I would probably go F770 over F750 but I would agree that if you already have a F750 it might not be worth updating to F770.

The design is an important step up for buyers that were on the fence over Blackvue DR650 vs. F750
Many North American consumers went with Blackvue because F750 looked big and the light grey colour was too eye catching
Price for DR650 and F750 is roughly the same across the board and the video (rear camera especially) are on different levels.
Interestingly in Korea it's the reverse and Blackvue isn't nearly as popular as Thinkware/iNavi

In our experience the Thinkware build quality/reliability has been impressive, in the last 3 months we've only had one defective F750 (<1% defective rate) which is lower than any other brand we carry/carried.

Hi, it's my first time post and I'm not fully up to speed with dash cams, but done a considerable amount of research of many dash cams related site's . I like the Thinkware F770 as it looks discreet and is available to pre - order at thinkwaredashcam.uk for £249 front and rear cams 32GB with hardwire kit. No mention of delivery date. Does anybody know if the functions such as lane detection and alarms for other stuff like voice commands, which you may not need, can be turned off?

on the 750 everything can be switched off.

the only thing (if i'm not mistaken) that you can not switch off is the startup sound (after both "off and "park mode")
and the report it gives (how many movements and impacts it recorded during park mode)

personally i like that cos it tells me the camera works.

Thanks, So if the 750 is very similar to the 770. I've looked briefly at the 770 and scant info available. But don't know if it has an indicating light at the front? I hope not!

Thanks, So if the 750 is very similar to the 770. I've looked briefly at the 770 and scant info available. But don't know if it has an indicating light at the front? I hope not!

It does, as far as I know all Korean cameras have this "security LED"
The front light can be turned off on the F750 and F770

I just picked my F770 at blackboxmycar yesterday (thanks Justin!). I was able to see F750 andF770 side by side.

The F770 is noticeably smaller than the old model. The new model is slimmer and more streamlined. Gone is the stuck-out silver cylinder-shaped lens housing. The lens on the F770 is part of the unit's body. There is also a compartment on the side of the body for better cable management. The windshield attachment is now a thin solid piece of plastic. So the dashcam will be much closer to the windshield and appears even smaller than the old F750.

Back