Time lapse ( Video ? )

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
What I would like ...
Time lapse ( Video ) as opposed to pictures ( if possible )
I know the mobious does time lapse ( photo )

I would love a cam that you can set the video rate , say down to 1 FPs or 2FPs or 5FPs ...
I have been playing with motion detect on my cams ( cheap nasty cams ) and out of the 4 cheap nasty cams I still have in my possession ( others were thrown in the rubbish bin ) only half of them have functioning motion detection .. The other half have motion detect in the menu , but dont actually detect motion or certainly do not start recording .. ( anyhow a great time waster )

I would like something you could start and leave running at 1 FPs
Another important consideration , will they Loop in time lapse (?)
Yeah just leave a cam running 24/7/365

The mobius natively supports time lapse video as well.

According to the latest mSetup loop mode is not supported; the file length is fixed at 4GB. My interpretation is that you have to manually erase the files before the microSD card fills up. @petepete and @Isoprop can probably answer whether it would be suitable for 24/7.

as @ddnut mentioned, timelapse video recording is one of mobius' features given the limitations as shown below:

z5qNiGd.png

*Screenshot take from the mSetup application

Here's another sample video taken by a mobius...

Yeah , that 4GB thing ...
Hmmm , 30 seconds per second , or 30 minutes per minute or 1 hour per 2 minutes / 24 hours per 48minutes @ 1 FPs ( Video plays @ 30FPs )
And according to the mobius web site 33min into 4GB , so not quite 24 hours @ 1 FPs

Is it a case of so many cams so little to chose from ( Like local TV ) ..

What I would like ...
Time lapse ( Video ) as opposed to pictures ( if possible )
I know the mobious does time lapse ( photo )

I would love a cam that you can set the video rate , say down to 1 FPs or 2FPs or 5FPs ...
I have been playing with motion detect on my cams ( cheap nasty cams ) and out of the 4 cheap nasty cams I still have in my possession ( others were thrown in the rubbish bin ) only half of them have functioning motion detection .. The other half have motion detect in the menu , but dont actually detect motion or certainly do not start recording .. ( anyhow a great time waster )

I would like something you could start and leave running at 1 FPs
Another important consideration , will they Loop in time lapse (?)
Yeah just leave a cam running 24/7/365

Even with photo rather than video, why not the Mobius time-lapse then? You can achieve essentially the same results all the way down to .25 secs.

Mobius_004.jpg

??????????????/

I dont know ?
Im just wondering if there is a cam that does what I want ..

1 FPs and loops ...

If not , then what ever cam that comes the closest .

I thought Dome released a firmware for the G90 that did timelapse video (maybe for the A7la70 version) - I've done a few now with the Mobius and the timelapse videos are probably my favourite part of that camera - it's like a swiss army knife that you should have with you at all times!

Thank you "reverend"
It was under my nose all the time , I was actually thinking of selling the G90 as I thought I had no further need of it , and it does exactly what I want ( I think ) ..

Again thank you !

??????????????/

I dont know ?
Im just wondering if there is a cam that does what I want ..

1 FPs and loops ...

If not , then what ever cam that comes the closest .

The problem is that dashboard cameras are not designed to "just leave a cam running 24/7/365", so before long you will need to replace your looping, time lapser when it burns itself out.

Quite possibly ...
Im currently looking at security Cams / Video recorders ( HDD )
I will have to play with the G90 , it might work @ 1 FPs and motion detect (?)
I might buy a Solar - Power Bank , and hook it up to the G90 in the car .. ( If it works time laps and motion detect )
Just set it up now to run the night @ 1 FPs , will see how much power it consumes and SD card space taken . ( Powered by a Power Bank )
Then tomorrow I might see about testing motion detect with the cam set to 1 FPs

Still a nice way to waste time ...

Not sure the G90 would loop but you could try it. Like Dashmellow says it will help it on it's way to an early grave if you're wanting to run it 24x7.

Otherwise for CCTV look into Hikvision as they do some good cameras for that which are designed to run fulltime - I've got a couple of the Hikvision and a Dahua ready for fitting on the new house. A friend of mine runs Axis cameras and they're at a higher price point but the quality they achieve is great.

Quite possibly ...
Im currently looking at security Cams / Video recorders ( HDD )
I will have to play with the G90 , it might work @ 1 FPs and motion detect (?)
I might buy a Solar - Power Bank , and hook it up to the G90 in the car .. ( If it works time laps and motion detect )
Just set it up now to run the night @ 1 FPs , will see how much power it consumes and SD card space taken . ( Powered by a Power Bank )
Then tomorrow I might see about testing motion detect with the cam set to 1 FPs

Still a nice way to waste time ...

I was going to suggest a "real" CCTV camera too but it wasn't clear if you intended this for full time use in a car or as a residential surveillance camera. There are many good CCTV solutions on the market and the Hikvisions are excellent but they wouldn't be something you could easily deploy in a vehicle, or would want to.

As far as those Solar Power Banks are concerned I personally wouldn't go near one with a ten foot pole and a flame-proof Hazmat suit, especially in a climate like Australia. The whole concept of putting a pack full of lithium-ion batteries with a little solar panel stuck on top out to bake for hours in the hot sun seems seriously ill-advised to me. Who the hell ever came up with such an idea for a product, considering the all too common problem of thermal runaway with lithium batteries even under normal circumstances? :confused::eek:

Last edited:
The problem is that dashboard cameras are not designed to "just leave a cam running 24/7/365", so before long you will need to replace your looping, time lapser when it burns itself out.

not surprisingly people tend to do this with all sorts of dashcams and none live to tell the tale, easy way to kill them

not surprisingly people tend to do this with all sorts of dashcams and none live to tell the tale, easy way to kill them
Well, technically the cameras with parking mode are supposed to be run 24/7/365?

Naaa , I want the cam in the car ...
+ I run it at home just to test how it functions , power consumption , file size etc ...
The Dome looks to be power hungry , doing 360mAh to 450mAh all night , which is close to what it does @ 30fps .. I did hope for lower power consumption @ 1fps .. ( oh well )

Next I will test motion detection and time laps , see if both work together ... + I might bump it to 2fps since there is no energy saving ...
If motion detect and time lapse work , I might pop it in the car with a Solar Powerbank ... And have it on the back window looking forward to cover as much of the car as possible .

I know a cam will never make good a good home security cam , but Im just playing ( Time wasting ) , and to see whats what ..
+ It helps to figure out what I would need at home .. ( Angle of lens , time lapse speed and so forth ) One frame per second is not enough , 2 frames per second would be much better .

Parking mode or motion detect (?)
Parking mode detects an impact while motion detect is looking for motion in the field of view ( lens ) .
Again I will run some tests , especially for power consumption ...
I have a another cam that does motion detect , but its way sensitive .. But that could be good from inside a car ..

Back