Towing another car in the fast lane, in 90km/h!

you wouldn't believe how often I see that, but usually in the Southern US.

^^^^ Until something goes wrong No power steering, no power brakes, loose nut behind the wheel. What is swedish for 'redneck'? :)

No consideration for the safety of themselves or anyone else on the road.

Dont feel like a snitch, more people should put the foot down when they see people do wrong.

DR is right- that used to be normal here but it's now illegal in SC though you still see it occasionally. It's not too unsafe if you do it right. but only at low speeds, never on a highway. Tow dollies can be rented cheaply and are a much better bet ;)

Phil

I saw some 'country folk' towing a car on a boat trailer one time. Somehow they got the front of the car up onto the back of a boat trailer, tied it down with some rope, and off they went...wobbling all the way. They had to jack the front of the car up and move the trailer under the front of it, somehow.

Literally seen nothing wrong in that tow technique!
... just a tad of jealousy on the part of recorder'er maybe, perhaps etc?

Jealous of an old, broken down car?
In Sweden you are only allowed to tow another one at 30km/h.
And on an highway, only to the next exit.
Apparently these had been driving like this for several miles.

Only once have I seen this, in Ontario. Haven't been to the southern states in 25 years.

Given my experience in boating, where I have towed boats and others have towed mine ... I would have kept my distance. Perhaps boats being towed are more susceptible to side to side sway than vehicles, but I would feel uncomfortable having that to either side of myself making a turn.

As a courtesy, boat owners will tow disabled boats. First time someone towed us and picked up the speed too much and we went all over the place ... side to side. Another time someone refused to tow as he had a smaller lighter aluminum boat and we had a 26 fiberglass.

I have towed several boats, but one time someone got frustrated that we went as slow as we did.

In Alberta (and i believe the rest of Canada as well) tow truck unions got any sort of towing like that made illegal regardless of speed or being on a paved road or not.
I dont agree with that, i think it should be allowed on back roads for shorter distances and lower speeds but this looked pretty dangerous, wow...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

You have some real super highways in your Country, and you really got the police to talk with you, here in my cow path highway City calling the cops would take going through someone in an answering center first, then maybe you would get the police dispatcher by that time you start thinking my call was for nothing.

Last edited:
I once saw a guy pushing the car ahead of him with a rope :p:ROFLMAO:

I think you're still allowed to tow a car here as long as there's a solid towbar in between. The car being towed must be legal (insurance, working lights, licensed driuver etc) and only one person is allowed in the car being towed. When the law changed cars still had metal bumpers, so we'd use am old driveshaft for the 'stiff hitch' and it worked well if you didn't mind scratches on the bumpers :whistle: And no towing like this on the interstates.

I've known a couple instances where a car was pulled to the next interstate exit on a chain with a Cop's implied permission but it is illegal and if done wrong very unsafe. And it's not done much anymore around here as most insurance coverage (even strict liability only) includes limited towing which will at least get you and your car to a safe location off the highway. The towing business is pretty competitive here and if you can wait till they can work it in, you can usually find someone to do a 15-20 mile tow for $40 or less. I've got AAA premium coverage and free towing which with my old vehicles pays for itself in the long term :rolleyes: It covers the person, not the car, so if I'm a passenger whatever vehicle I'm in is covered :cool: IMHO it's a bargain everyone un the US should have ;)

Phil

Back