Travel dashcam - suction mount

I dunno about those. You could always still try the DIY one. I just used some parts I found in my shop like an old broken bamboo cutting board for one and a piece of old plate glass for the other and I had a bunch of tripod screw mounts lying around including a suction cup one. Didn't take long to make them. Most of the time was spent waiting for the epoxy cement to cure.

at $25 Cdn , I think I will try the DIY. I plan to work on it this weekend

at $25 Cdn , I think I will try the DIY. I plan to work on it this weekend
Good luck! It's really a pretty easy project to take on compared to other DIY things I've done. If I had it to do all over again I would try to find a 1/4 inch thick piece of plastic for the platform which would be thinner than the glass or wood versions and be just as stable.

I have some 3/8" to 1/2' pieces of wood that I could use on this.

I have some 3/8" to 1/2' pieces of wood that I could use on this.
Sounds good! It all depends on what kind of 1/4-20 hex nut you use. A standard hex nut will be thinner, and will fit in a thinner platform, a lock nut will be taller and give more depth for the tripod screw but needs a thicker platform material for it to more closely match and be flat with the front and back surfaces. I prefer the lock nut method for the increased screw thread depth and it holds tighter and is more secure when you screw in the suction cup mounting screw.

standard hex nut
hexnut.jpg

lock nut or stop nut
locknut.jpg

Back