Trying to set up A139

DashCamUser123

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Currently have A129 Duo in car. Connected to Viofo app. I tried to set up A139 while the A129 was still running in the car.

The Viofo app doesn't see the A139 when wifi is turned on. Does the app only recognize one Viofo model at a time? Meaning, do I have to disconnect the A129 Duo first and then have the app try and see the A139?

Yes, one phone can just connect to one camera at the same time. To connect the A139, you need to disconnect the A129 first.

One other cautionary statement about using the VIOFO app with multiple VIOFO dash camera models. If you connect and configure one VIOFO dash camera model and then disconnect and switch the Wi-Fi connection to the second VIOFO dash camera and then use the same app instance of the VIOFO app to try and configure settings in the second unit, there may be some settings missing from that second unit's settings screen.

It appears that the VIOFO app internally caches some dash camera model specific data, so that when you change from A129 Duo to the A139, there might be some settings missing from the settings screen for the A139. The same is true in reverse (A139 then changing to the A129 Duo). I've reported this as a bug a long time ago, but it still behaves this way.

To work around this issue with the VIOFO app, you should terminate the VIOFO app instance after disconnecting from the first dash camera and before using the VIOFO app for the second dash camera model. Forcing the VIOFO app to start fresh for the second VIOFO dash camera model allows it to work correctly with that camera model. Use your phone's method of listing the apps that are "running" and terminate the running instance of the VIOFO app.

Yes, one phone can just connect to one camera at the same time. To connect the A139, you need to disconnect the A129 first.
Thanks. By disconnecting, I assume you mean just not power up the A129 Duo. Disconnect the power. I will try that.

I put the A139 aside for some time when I couldn't get the A139 to connect to wifi. It's unfortunate that Viofo made it difficult to connect to wifi which should have been a simple thing to do. I will try again as I need the IR camera and the wider FOV.

I put the A139 aside for some time when I couldn't get the A139 to connect to wifi. It's unfortunate that Viofo made it difficult to connect to wifi which should have been a simple thing to do. I will try again as I need the IR camera and the wider FOV.
Does your phone support cloning apps? If it's Android then you may have the option. I use that on my Xiaomi phone, that way I can have two sets of data using the same app.

Does your phone support cloning apps? If it's Android then you may have the option. I use that on my Xiaomi phone, that way I can have two sets of data using the same app.
There is one way to close apps on the iPhone. I will attermpt again to get the wifi to work. I will update.

It's unfortunate that Viofo made it difficult to connect to wifi
At any point in time I have 5-6 Viofo dash cams installed in my car;
A229 Duo
A139 Pro
A119 Mini
A119 Mini 2
WM1
XXXX Pro
I have no problem controlling each one using the Viofo APP with the same iPhone SE 2020 (iOS 13.5.1) to change settings, format the SD Card, etc. in order to gather test footage.
You need to be able to configure your Wi-Fi, Cellular Data, Air Plane Mode, Bluetooth, etc, on your device correctly.

Attachments

• 2 .png
    2 .png
    207.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1 .png
    1 .png
    155.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here is the situation. I am able to get the Viofo 139 connected to my iPhone by wifi. "Wifi Connected" is the audible message from the Viofo. But it never 'connects to the camera' because I can't see the video feed from the camera in the Viofo app. Now it doesn't even work with the A129 Duo. It used to.

Attachments

• viofoa139.jpg
    viofoa139.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Here is the situation. I am able to get the Viofo 139 connected to my iPhone by wifi. "Wifi Connected" is the audible message from the Viofo. But it never 'connects to the camera' because I can't see the video feed from the camera in the Viofo app. Now it doesn't even work with the A129 Duo. It used to.
Your screenshot shows a VPN being connected. On my iPhone, I have anti-virus software which includes a VPN. If an iPhone or third party VPN is active when using the VIOFO app, the connection to the camera will not work. I've never had to use the VPN feature within the VIOFO app.

O yes a VPN will often throw a spanner in the works, i tried that with my phone and several cameras, simply would not work ( street guardian - viofo and others too as i recall )
Cyberghost VPN

Last edited:
Your screenshot shows a VPN being connected. On my iPhone, I have anti-virus software which includes a VPN. If an iPhone or third party VPN is active when using the VIOFO app, the connection to the camera will not work. I've never had to use the VPN feature within the VIOFO app.
Thanks rcg530 and Kamkar. I will disable VPN (I also have Norton 360 on my phone) and see if that was the problem. Hopefully get it to finally work. I'm still looking at the A229 3-channel for its 512 GB card capacity and the Starvis 2. The only thing I don't like about the A229 is the FOV on the interior and rear cameras are not as wide as on the A139 3-channel.

The only thing I don't like about the A229 is the FOV on the interior and rear cameras are not as wide as on the A139 3-channel.
Boy, do I have good news for you. lol

Thanks everyone for your help. Greatly appreciated. Yes, the VPN was the issue. It works now. Finally, I can set up my A139 3-channel just in time to upgrade to the A229 3-channel. Well, let me enjoy the A139 for a bit first.

I use VPN on my phone so I will disable it long enough to place the 3 cams for best coverage. Set up my preferred settings. Then I will turn VPN back on. So this disables the VIOFO app for changing settings.

This may be a problem if f I can’t adjust things like the following: disable interior cam except for parking mode (I can leave it on for driving if I can only adjust this feature via Wi-Fi but will eat more battery resources as I only need it when parked for better coverage). Let me dig into the setup guide.

I am hoping I can dig into the menu directly on the A229 3-channel via the camera directly without having to use the VIOFO app via wifi.

Other options are to bring along my old iPhone SE to connect to the VIOFO app.

I use VPN on my phone so I will disable it long enough to place the 3 cams for best coverage. Set up my preferred settings. Then I will turn VPN back on. So this disables the VIOFO app for changing settings.

This may be a problem if f I can’t adjust things like the following: disable interior cam except for parking mode (I can leave it on for driving if I can only adjust this feature via Wi-Fi but will eat more battery resources as I only need it when parked for better coverage). Let me dig into the setup guide.

I am hoping I can dig into the menu directly on the A229 3-channel via the camera directly without having to use the VIOFO app via wifi.

Other options are to bring along my old iPhone SE to connect to the VIOFO app.
For A139, you can press and hold the emergency button for seconds to turn off the interior camera. There is no button to turn on/off the interior camera quickly on the A229Plus/Pro( All the buttons have been added functions). But you can easily unplug and plug the interior cable since it is a normal 3.5mm plug as below:
1695777035341.png

For A139, you can press and hold the emergency button for seconds to turn off the interior camera. There is no button to turn on/off the interior camera quickly on the A229Plus/Pro( All the buttons have been added functions). But you can easily unplug and plug the interior cable since it is a normal 3.5mm plug as below:
View attachment 67823
Thanks for sharing this. I will be Googling the A229 soon. I need to set up my A139 first, use it for awhile and see how I like it. Then see what advantages the A229 3-channel will offer over the A139 3-channel. Likely the Starvis 2 may sway my decision making. Also, how good the infrared is on the A229 vs the A139 interior cam. I use the interior cam (with (night) and without (day) the infrared turned on) not for the interior cabin of the car but to see thru the windows at night. I want to see how well it does for recording things just outside the windows of the car.

Well, all cameras are working. I find having the interior cam in the rear windshield area pointing forward to the front of the cabin is the best for my needs. It covers the two rear windows. I may have to adjust.

The rear windshield camera is wide at 170* FOV but I may set it back to cover from pillar to pillar. Needs to be adjusted. I noticed the infrared lights on the interior cam does not light up so assume that's how it works. All the better.

Thanks again to all who helped out and for your patience. If there is one thing I would put in the setup guide is to Turn off VPN so you can set up the cams. Turn it back on once everything is setup (got your camera angles right, etc.).

Boy, do I have good news for you. lol
Thanks. Hope it is OK to copy and paste what you wrote in the review. My question is, why would Viofo under specify the FOV? What would be the purpose?

Panzer Platform wrote in his review linked above:
"Another quick note the A229 Pro 3-CH has a listed specification of;
140° Front + 160° Rear + 150° Interior “Viewing Angle”.
Based on my testing I’ve found the true “FOV” to be closer to;
160° Front + 160° Rear + 170° Interior"

My question is, why would Viofo under specify the FOV? What would be the purpose?
Viofo have given the FoV of the lens, which is the standard thing to give for camera specifications in general. So it should allow you to compare Viofo cameras to other brands... doesn't actually work very well, doesn't even work well for comparing different Viofo cameras, but it is the industry standard.

Panzer Platform has given the Horizontal FoV of recorded image, measured at 50% image height, which is much more useful when choosing a dashcam.

PP's figures would be much closer to Viofo's if he gave the diagonal FoV, which is more common in camera specifications, since the diagonals are longer than the horizontal, and there is a lot more fisheye distortion in the corners, but it would be less useful for comparison use.

Back