Trying to set up A139

Thanks. Hope it is OK to copy and paste what you wrote in the review. My question is, why would Viofo under specify the FOV? What would be the purpose?
Ask this question to Viofo directly.

So, I finally got the A139 running. This has been a frustrating dashcam to set up. The wifi connection has a very noticeable delay. like 5+ seconds before any change shows up in the app. Let's say I raise my hand and 5+ seconds later, the raised hand updates in the app. I suppose this is normal.

I noticed the Interior cam has a short cable, so placing it at the back of the car is not possible (I had considered placing it at the back of the car, pointing frontward into the cabin.

In the Viofo app, I can't see any other setting for the video resolution other than the two options: 1440?? (the 2k option) and the 1080p. Only 2 settings. I thought there were more resolution options (let me reread the manual). Right now I only have the Front and Interior cam installed. Will install the Rear cam soon.

a bit late to the party to reply... but...

The rear windshield camera is wide at 170* FOV but I may set it back to cover from pillar to pillar. Needs to be adjusted. I noticed the infrared lights on the interior cam does not light up so assume that's how it works. All the better.
There's a setting in the app that turns has options of "on" (always on, no matter the light level), "off" (self-explanatory) and "auto" (turns on based on ambient light levels, e.g. the darker it is, the more it comes on, you'll notice it flicker on and off as you go through tunnels etc.

So, I finally got the A139 running. This has been a frustrating dashcam to set up. The wifi connection has a very noticeable delay. like 5+ seconds before any change shows up in the app. Let's say I raise my hand and 5+ seconds later, the raised hand updates in the app. I suppose this is normal.

I noticed the Interior cam has a short cable, so placing it at the back of the car is not possible (I had considered placing it at the back of the car, pointing frontward into the cabin.

In the Viofo app, I can't see any other setting for the video resolution other than the two options: 1440?? (the 2k option) and the 1080p. Only 2 settings. I thought there were more resolution options (let me reread the manual). Right now I only have the Front and Interior cam installed. Will install the Rear cam soon.
Yes, the delay is normal.

You can also purchase another long cable from the viofo website:
https://viofo.com/accessories/213-7...able-for-a139a139-pro-2ch3ch-dash-camera.html

The normal resolutions change depending on how many cameras you have connected:
Front Camera + Rear camera: 2560 * 1440P 30fps / 60fps Front + 1920*1080P 30fps Rear
Front Camera + Interior camera: 2560 * 1440P 30fps / 60fps Front + 1920*1080P 30fps Interior
Front Camera + Interior camera + Rear camera: 2560 * 1440P 30fps / 60fps + 1920*1080P 30fps Interior + 1920*1080P 30fps Rear

As you can see the only switch is 60fps/30fps on the front camera, the others are set.

a bit late to the party to reply... but...

There's a setting in the app that turns has options of "on" (always on, no matter the light level), "off" (self-explanatory) and "auto" (turns on based on ambient light levels, e.g. the darker it is, the more it comes on, you'll notice it flicker on and off as you go through tunnels etc.

Yes, the delay is normal.

You can also purchase another long cable from the viofo website:
https://viofo.com/accessories/213-7...able-for-a139a139-pro-2ch3ch-dash-camera.html

The normal resolutions change depending on how many cameras you have connected:
Front Camera + Rear camera: 2560 * 1440P 30fps / 60fps Front + 1920*1080P 30fps Rear
Front Camera + Interior camera: 2560 * 1440P 30fps / 60fps Front + 1920*1080P 30fps Interior
Front Camera + Interior camera + Rear camera: 2560 * 1440P 30fps / 60fps + 1920*1080P 30fps Interior + 1920*1080P 30fps Rear

As you can see the only switch is 60fps/30fps on the front camera, the others are set.
Thanks for sharing this. I will need to go over it several times to get it into my brain. Right now I am only running Front and Interior. I will soon set up the rear camera.

Is the cable linked above useable for the Interior camera? The Interior camera has the short cable.

Now that I know to disable VPN temporary, the wifi connection and viewing the cameras on the app and changing settings using the app is easy. I have been using the A139 for about 2 weeks now. I like it a lot. The verbal announcements are very helpful and let's you know how quick the A139 is reacting to different events such as entering driving mode, entering parking mode, etc.).

I only see one glitch. I enable wifi on the A139. I enable wifi on my iPhone. I connect the A139 to my iPhone and use the Viofo app. Then I turn off the wifi on my iPhone and close down / disconnect the Viofo app. But it takes quite some time for the A139 to announce, 'wifi disconnected or disabled' - I forget the exact message. If I physically press and hold the wifi button on the A139, the A139 announces immediately that wifi is disconnected.

I may want to remove the memory card to view video footage from time to time on my computer. I also did this with the A129 Duo. However, I find the card slot on the A139 can have a strong ejecting force. If I don't keep a finger at the memory card slot, memory cards have shot out and go flying. Then I have to look all over the car to find the tiny memory card. Now, I make sure to use a finger to block the memory card slot.

The Interior cam sits on the entertainment display. It still covers part of the driver and passenger side windows. If I move it more forward, like closer toward the windshield, the Interior cam might cover more interior space, perhaps the complete driver side and passenger side windows. But there is no place to stick the Interior cam, from the steering wheel to the windshield unless I stick it on the windshield itself. But then it would be a distraction, right there on the windshield. Oh well, nothing is ever perfect. :)

PS. Trying to hold the rear cam in place temporarily, to check best placement for ideal coverage was not easy, at least it wasn't easy for me. One reason being the rear camera mount for the A129 Duo is still attached to rear windshield. But I purchased these temporary square stickers from Amazon and will use them to stick the A139 rear cam to the rear windshield. Scotch Reusable Mounting tabs, double sided tabs for lightweight, clear 1 in x 1 in, R100 C. I stuck one onto a car window and it sticks well but I can also take it off too. I will stick one of these to the back of the A139 rear cam mount, play around with the placement and then peel off the adhesive on the rear cam mount to place it permanently.

Last edited:
I only see one glitch. I enable wifi on the A139. I enable wifi on my iPhone. I connect the A139 to my iPhone and use the Viofo app. Then I turn off the wifi on my iPhone and close down / disconnect the Viofo app. But it takes quite some time for the A139 to announce, 'wifi disconnected or disabled' - I forget the exact message. If I physically press and hold the wifi button on the A139, the A139 announces immediately that wifi is disconnected.
If you just turn off the wifi and close the app on your phone, the wifi has not been turned off on the camera actually. It will turn off automatically after 10 minutes without connection. So you will hear that notification after 10 minutes.

Thanks for sharing this. I will need to go over it several times to get it into my brain. Right now I am only running Front and Interior. I will soon set up the rear camera.

Is the cable linked above useable for the Interior camera? The Interior camera has the short cable.

Now that I know to disable VPN temporary, the wifi connection and viewing the cameras on the app and changing settings using the app is easy. I have been using the A139 for about 2 weeks now. I like it a lot. The verbal announcements are very helpful and let's you know how quick the A139 is reacting to different events such as entering driving mode, entering parking mode, etc.).

I may want to remove the memory card to view video footage from time to time on my computer. I also did this with the A129 Duo. However, I find the card slot on the A139 can have a strong ejecting force. If I don't keep a finger at the memory card slot, memory cards have shot out and go flying. Then I have to look all over the car to find the tiny memory card. Now, I make sureto use a finger to block the memory card slot.

The Interior cam sits on the entertainment display. It still covers part of the driver and passenger side windows. If I move it more forward, like closer toward the windshield, the Interior cam might cover more interior space, perhaps the complete driver side and passenger side windows. But there is no place to stick the Interior cam from the steering wheel to the windshield unless I stick on the windshield itself. But then it would be a distraction, right there on the windshield. Oh well, nothing is ever perfect. :)
The bolded part: Yes, the interior camera operates correctly with a longer cable :) I have done it.

For your glitch; I personally leave "wi-fi" on (connected to the A139 wi-fi), but I disconnect "mobile data" and/or a "VPN" connection, if it doesn't properly connect to the cameras.

For the SD-card slot, I found the same problem with mine... I used a flat-head screwdriver to poke it carefully to let the ejection spring do it's thing, but leave the card still in there, then grabbed the card softly with needle-nose-pliers... but then I searched around on the internet and got this, which is a hugely better option:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/store/micro-sd-card-removal-tool/
The SD card doesn't slip off the end of the flat-head and go flying, as the flat part is wider and easier to control the ejection spring... the "grabby" part of the thing is much better, too, as it's plastic and not metal and unlikely to damage the card like needle-nose-pliers could. It's a little expensive for a tiny 3d-printed part, but absolutely worth every cent I paid (~$35 AUD for 2 of them, at the time) when I think about the amount of times I've had to go searching in the footwells of my families cars to find the tiny micro-SD card haha.

The bolded part: Yes, the interior camera operates correctly with a longer cable :) I have done it.

For your glitch; I personally leave "wi-fi" on (connected to the A139 wi-fi), but I disconnect "mobile data" and/or a "VPN" connection, if it doesn't properly connect to the cameras.

For the SD-card slot, I found the same problem with mine... I used a flat-head screwdriver to poke it carefully to let the ejection spring do it's thing, but leave the card still in there, then grabbed the card softly with needle-nose-pliers... but then I searched around on the internet and got this, which is a hugely better option:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/store/micro-sd-card-removal-tool/
The SD card doesn't slip off the end of the flat-head and go flying, as the flat part is wider and easier to control the ejection spring... the "grabby" part of the thing is much better, too, as it's plastic and not metal and unlikely to damage the card like needle-nose-pliers could. It's a little expensive for a tiny 3d-printed part, but absolutely worth every cent I paid (~$35 AUD for 2 of them, at the time) when I think about the amount of times I've had to go searching in the footwells of my families cars to find the tiny micro-SD card haha.
I read your post earlier but replying now. Thanks for the tips. I will likely purchase the longer cable. Just to have it around so I can play with the placement of the Interior cam.

Now that the A139 is working fine, what took me so long? :) I still hope Viofo will put a warning somewhere about disabling VPN on the iPhone temporarily so the Viofo app will work with the wifi connect to the dashcam. Happy with the purchase but may still get the A229 3-channel for the bigger storage of 512GB and the Sony Starvis 2 sensor. Near future. But may miss (or may not) the wide FOV of both the Interior and rear cams based on the earlier FOV post in this thread.

The members of this forum have been extremely helpful.

Last edited:
I read your post earlier but replying now. Thanks for the tips. I will likely purchase the longer cable. Just to have it around so I can play with the placement of the Interior cam.

Now that the A139 is working fine, what took me so long? :) I still hope Viofo will put a warning somewhere about disabling VPN on the iPhone temporarily so the Viofo app will work with the wifi connect to the dashcam. Happy with the purchase but may still get the A229 3-channel for the bigger storage of 512GB and the Sony Starvis 2 sensor. Near future. But may miss (or may not) the wide FOV of both the Interior and rear cams based on the earlier FOV post in this thread.

The members of this forum have been extremely helpful.
No worries, mate.

By the way, I've safely run a 512GB card in my A139 basically since I've had it (since around Nov 2022). I regularly take the card out and review all of the footage (splice it all together and watch it at 8x speed and note down timestamps of interesting events to review at slower speeds haha, yes, I'm weird), which has kept the card from filling up completely which probably has helped with such a large capacity card in a camera that doesn't say it supports it.

Viofo have given the FoV of the lens, which is the standard thing to give for camera specifications in general. So it should allow you to compare Viofo cameras to other brands... doesn't actually work very well, doesn't even work well for comparing different Viofo cameras, but it is the industry standard.

Panzer Platform has given the Horizontal FoV of recorded image, measured at 50% image height, which is much more useful when choosing a dashcam.

PP's figures would be much closer to Viofo's if he gave the diagonal FoV, which is more common in camera specifications, since the diagonals are longer than the horizontal, and there is a lot more fisheye distortion in the corners, but it would be less useful for comparison use.

No worries, mate.

By the way, I've safely run a 512GB card in my A139 basically since I've had it (since around Nov 2022). I regularly take the card out and review all of the footage (splice it all together and watch it at 8x speed and note down timestamps of interesting events to review at slower speeds haha, yes, I'm weird), which has kept the card from filling up completely which probably has helped with such a large capacity card in a camera that doesn't say it supports it.
Thanks for sharing that. How much of a 512gb card have you filled up without any issue? How do you splice it together?

Thanks for sharing that. How much of a 512gb card have you filled up without any issue? How do you splice it together?
got it to a touch over 490GB once...

I splice it together by a script of my own design which uses a "for loop" to create "text tokens" of the names of the files into a "text file" like so (FrontForMerge is a folder for just all of the *F.mp4* searched files manually "moved" as I'd rather not script that, same for "interior" and "rear" camera):
file 'E:\DCIM\Movie\FrontForMerge\2023_1108_202045_F.MP4'
file 'E:\DCIM\Movie\FrontForMerge\2023_1108_202346_F.MP4'

the cmd script is like so:
Code:
for /f "tokens=*" %a in ('dir E:\DCIM\Movie\FrontForMerge /b /O N') do echo file 'E:\DCIM\Movie\FrontForMerge\%a' >> D:\Dashcams\FrontFileList.txt

Then I splice them all together using ffmpeg "concat" command with something like this:
Code:
D:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -safe 0 -f concat -i D:\Dashcam\FrontFileList.txt -c copy D:\Dashcams\FrontCombined.mp4

Then I watch all 3 "combined.mp4" videos via VLC with another powershell script that I wrote that starts the playback at whatever speed I've specified and using the OnTopReplica windows software, it displays all 3 nicely visible on one 2560x1600 (same horizontal resolution of the 1440p video, but slightly taller) display of my laptop.

got it to a touch over 490GB once...

I splice it together by a script of my own design which uses a "for loop" to create "text tokens" of the names of the files into a "text file" like so (FrontForMerge is a folder for just all of the *F.mp4* searched files manually "moved" as I'd rather not script that, same for "interior" and "rear" camera):
file 'E:\DCIM\Movie\FrontForMerge\2023_1108_202045_F.MP4'
file 'E:\DCIM\Movie\FrontForMerge\2023_1108_202346_F.MP4'

the cmd script is like so:
Code:
for /f "tokens=*" %a in ('dir E:\DCIM\Movie\FrontForMerge /b /O N') do echo file 'E:\DCIM\Movie\FrontForMerge\%a' >> D:\Dashcams\FrontFileList.txt

Then I splice them all together using ffmpeg "concat" command with something like this:
Code:
D:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -safe 0 -f concat -i D:\Dashcam\FrontFileList.txt -c copy D:\Dashcams\FrontCombined.mp4

Then I watch all 3 "combined.mp4" videos via VLC with another powershell script that I wrote that starts the playback at whatever speed I've specified and using the OnTopReplica windows software, it displays all 3 nicely visible on one 2560x1600 (same horizontal resolution of the 1440p video, but slightly taller) display of my laptop.
Thanks for sharing this but I have no experience with scripts. I know what they are as our technical support people use scripts all the time. I'm into computers but my background is more computer programming. COBOL to boot so, ancient stuff :)

With my A139 running well and quite happy with it, I will soon try out a 512gb card in the A139. If it worked for your A139, then it should be ok for my A139 as well. I'll let the A229 Plus 3-channel firmware mature a bit before I upgrade to it (there are enough incentives to upgarde). Maybe in one year.

Back