Turning truck VS SUV SF Bay area, CA

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many

Even though the SUV seems to be using a turn lane to pass the truck, I don't think the trucker is without fault.
He could have seen the SUV moron if he looked...and you always need to keep checking for morons doing stuff like this.

I think each will get assigned a percentage of fault. To begin with, neither one maintained their lane, I saw no signals, and both were going too fast for the situation :(

Stupid + stupid never = smart :eek:

Phil

damn that's the first time i have seen a self loader in the US, here its pretty rare to see a truck with its own forklift.

Yeah as a trucker, or biker for that matter you really need to be aware of the idiots out there.

In the truck mostly cuz if you dont you will cream them, on the bike you get creamed by them.

first time i have seen a self loader in the US, here its pretty rare to see a truck with its own forklift.

Pretty common here now. It's faster and less likely to cause personal injury than unloading by hand ;) Back in my youth I unloaded and carried all the lumber and shingles for a 2400 SqFt house up a hill that the trucks couldn't get up all by myself. The driveway was in the middle of a blind curve in the road and when they dumped it, the load would slide out and block the road :eek: I had to hustle and pray that nobody would be speeding through there and run me down while doing that. The contractor gave me $40 per truck and with the hill so long and steep that wasn't a good deal on my end of things but we couldn't build any other way so I did what I had to :cool: Stunts like that is why my back is shot today :oops:

Sad to say but that kind of work ethic is totally absent from my business today and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to do what I did at 10X the price :( That's the real reason why they're all self-unloaders now :whistle:

Phil

I saw the left turn blinker on the truck, but it was hard to see when in the sun. Also I don't think the truck would've been able to make the turn without swinging wide. That's pretty normal for a semi, but the SUV definitely looked like it was speeding to pass the truck in the left turn only lane.

KuoH

I think each will get assigned a percentage of fault. To begin with, neither one maintained their lane, I saw no signals, and both were going too fast for the situation :(

We had a reverse of this happen yesterday.
So a guy drive along in his car on a highway and then get to where he need to turn left, problem is he do that right in front of 2 oncoming guys on motorcycles killing them both.

Make me wonder 2 things.
1. how the hell can you miss 2 other motorists right in front of you.
2. who the hell drive a motorcycle this time of the year, we barely had temperatures around 10 degrees C for weeks, and we had several nights with below 0 temperatures.

I can see the turn signals, (Most of the time) and there is also a set on the rear of the forklift.

I hate delivering to stores or small businesses in urban areas. (and I have to do so tomorrow morning) :eek:

You just have to expect somebody to try sneaking around you from any direction if you're trying to make a hard turn, or back into a hard loading dock or ????

Yeah the fun go out of driving a big rig when the world start to tighten up around it, i remember taking my license driving around in Aarhus town and the suburbs, none of the places really suited for a rig like that.
A bus are doable there but the rig i drove was at lest 16 feet longer than a bus, and hinged on the middle, but i figure that was preparing us for the worst the world could throw at us.

I always keep my distance to truckers trying to make a delivery, give them a couple of flashes to let them know im cool with them blocking the road reversing into or out of some place., and then they can get on with their stuff.
But there are a lot of car drivers that couldn't care less about truckers :rolleyes:

Trucker was clearly signalling and in my opinion the SUV driver was in possession of a LOT of selfish ignorance.... or stupidity, but I don't think either would show up in blood tests

The SUV driver, despite the speed, would (SHOULD) have been very aware of the truck in front for several seconds, why the hell would they not even look for the possibility of turn signals, especially as the truck begins to manoeuver wide (like the cam car did)??? People just seem to "see what's in front" without thinking about what CAN happen.

I hope the authorities viewing the footage, and insurance assessors, put clear blame on the SUV driver for being so thoughtless and inconsiderate

I still see a lot of videos that get posted but the cammer does NOT appear to stop. I am sure the affected motorist would love to know there is some evidence to verify their story. Although this specic one may be a 50/50 case.

'Stopping' to provide video or being a witness is probably something I won't do unless it's a very serious accident, involving injury, death, or significant damage. or a hit and run. I saw one fatality wreck and provided video to the cops on the scene. Never heard back from them. On two separate, somewhat serious wrecks that I had decent footage of, it wasn't really feasible for me to stop in that location, but I stopped within an hour, checked the footage, saved it,and contacted the appropriate police department. Never heard back from them, either. Nothing is permanently adjudicated on the roadside by the cop. Charges can be laid later,dropped, or changed.
(Like we saw in that Canadian video where the cam car was initially ticketed, and 'witnesses' claimed it ran a red light, but the video proved otherwise.) Yeah, it's a pain in the ..... In the fatality accident I was involved in, years ago, (not my fault), the young investigating trooper initially stated I was somewhat at fault. When his 25 page accident report was reviewed by an experienced accident investigator......things were totally reversed.

And this is the crap I deal with on a daily basis. I honestly think driving an SUV kills brain cells. :)

It is the mentality that they do not want to be behind a slower vehicle - their time is important !

I used to have fun in the old days when I was towing my ski boat with my v8 powered sedan. Many cars and SUVs tried to sneek past after the traffic lights, like the video above, but the v8 and boat outran them :D:D

It do seem like SUV / 4X4 give many people a false sense of security.

I often outrun regular cars while towing a trailer with my quad bike on it, same with my little Suzuki car, i often leave every one at a traffic light, and most fun of that are if i am in the left lane and there are a car in the right hand lane other cars coming up from behind will merge in behind the other car as its a more powerful one and so should launch faster, but that's just not the case often.

Off course if the person in the other car know how to use it i am screwed as i after all only have 55 or 60 BHP to make good with, but i often shift from #2 gear to #5 gear cuz by then i do the 80 km/h limit and just need to get into cruise gear :D

It is the mentality that they do not want to be behind a slower vehicle - their time is important !

I used to have fun in the old days when I was towing my ski boat with my v8 powered sedan. Many cars and SUVs tried to sneek past after the traffic lights, like the video above, but the v8 and boat outran them :D:D
Reminded me of:

OP !
Truck was signalling ....
Dont know what the rules are in regard to overtaking a turning vehicle there ?
Trucks generally need more space to make turns , some times the entire road .

If that occurred here ( Oz ) the car driver would be completely at fault .
Truck drivers have enough to watch out for ( semi trailers ) . once they commit they have other things to watch out for aside from idiots ...
If you can't understand ? Go drive a truck ..
Ring up a driving school and do a 45 min lesson driving a truck ..
One place I worked at I got to drive semi trailers , its like driving a whale ..

^^ I've got close to 4 million miles driving tractor trailers.
My sorry bum is sitting in one, now. :p

The truckers (Mostly his employer) biggest problem will be the civil suits that follow. (regardless of who was cited, if anyone, in this incident)

You have to do some creative lane usage when making a lot of turns in a large truck, but you also have to be very vigilant about traffic around you. They will do stuff like this one did, on either side of you. The trucker should have seen the SUV. You look, look, look again...and then AGAIN as you start your turn.

Now that I look at the video more closely, my guess is the trucker was in too much of a hurry to make that left turn in front of the oncoming traffic you can barely see at about the :25 second mark. Light colored vehicle. He was concentrating on what was coming at him, not checking for idiots behind or alongside of him.

I did the same thing on a motorcycle one time. I was waiting for a traffic light to turn, and saw a truck approaching the intersection from the other direction, and thought if I 'goosed' it when the light turn green I could make my left turn before the truck entered the intersection. I would have made it, except I didn't notice the car running the red light to my left.
:mad:

Back