Turning truck VS SUV SF Bay area, CA

All truck drivers I know have killed a car this way !
Some car drivers are just suicidal !
Here in Oz there are rules against overtaking a turning vehicle .. If you do it , ur at fault ... ( End of story )

This happened in California. Common sense doesn't apply, there.

:)

The trucker should have seen that SUV. Even though some drivers deserve getting crushed under our wheels, it's frowned upon.

my take is that the trucker wasn't expecting to get passed on the wrong side of the road, so shouldn't have had to look. IMHO the little SUV is 100% to blame here, for driving on the wrong side of the road and speeding.

Yeah i think the same about the SUV, overtaking are a option you have, its not a god given right.

On the other hand it might pop up as a amendment to the constitution, and now i wonder how that might be phrased.

The right to overtake with no consideration for own well being ?
Maybe it will go down in history as the "get the hell out of my way act"

Yes, somebody always sneaks around you.
I can't tell if the trucker works for an actual trucking company, or for the feed mill company?
Most trucking companies in the US, (and some private carriers) subscribe to a pre-hire driver check system. It used to be called DAC, I think it's called hireright or something now. Companies voluntarily provide employment info on truckers, and pay to use the system to get info on drivers they are thinking about hiring. The company can really screw you over by putting false info or inaccurate info. It's hard to remove it, or correct it.
Think of dealing with a 'credit bureau'. It's kind of the same.
Accidents you were involved in, but weren't at fault show up also.
And then we have the civil suits.....which are noway based on reality or common sense. The SUV driver will collect on this.
The trucking companies generally pay off instead of going to court, even more so in California.

(25 plus years later I'm still annoyed that one of the cars that ran into me near bakersfield while they were doing 2x the speed limit collected 1.5 million...for an accident that was totally his fault. The party of the second car that hit me in the same accident held out for a jury trial......lost...got nothing. This was a civil action, I wasn't ticketed for anyting.)

I'm the last person to jump in on the 'you could have done something different' game when blaming truckers, but this guy screwed up....not to the point of a major traffic infraction, but the trucking industry judges accidents as 'avoidable', or 'non-avoidable', regardless of whatever the cops say.
This was avoidable, by having good habits, and not doing anything extreme.
(Like not being born)

One of the usual processes you go through with safety departments after even a minor wreck is either a conversation in person, or on the phone.
What usually is asked is 'what could you have done that would have prevented this?'

I usually answer something like 'not been born', 'stayed in bed watching tv that day', etc.

:)

This guy doesn't have that option. He just needed to do the normal thing of checking, check again. It's the same process that keeps you from running over other stuff in a turn like that. (Fire hydrants, pedestrians, telephone poles, etc) He didn't do it. He was in a hurry.

2 to 3 seconds ....
3 seconds for approach , 2 seconds from being just behind the trailer ... ( SUV )
So if the driver checked 3 seconds before the accident he would probably have thought he was ok ....
You simply can not look at everything all the time ...

That SUV driver was STUPID ! , did a stupid thing ..
Could the truck have avoided him/her , sure that possibility exists ..
But I think we are missing the obvious , did the SUV driver have to be stupid ?
What could the SUV driver have done to avoid the accident ?

My god, you could tell what the truck was doing before the SUV even came into view. You didn't need to see the blinkers, you could see the truck start moving left (after moving right to make the turn easier.)
But the old "I saw an opening, I've started so I'll finish" mentality always prevails for some.

And sure, the trucker might have done a better job of checking his mirrors. But I'm getting sick of the fact that you need to spend so much time checking your mirrors for dumb moves, that you spend less time looking forward where you really need to! The person doing the dumb move is the problem, not the person who failed to see it and correct the situation. When you overtake, it is primarily your responsibility to ensure it is safe.

Back