Two New Mobius Lenses Coming Soon.

So some diesels cut power to get all possible to the engine starter, and some don't.... Well, that means I just got lucky then...

Euhm, wasn't this thread about lenses?

:D

A2 looks significantly better. Not so sure about D.

Pity I can't get my M1 B up and running again. However, I can't afford to buy as lens and sensor package, and the lens alone I'm reluctant to buy as my M1 was suffering from the edge distortion issue which I believe from others is down to a warped back plate on the sensor - a manufacturing issue, and the last thing I want to do is stick a new lens onto a warped sensor, as then I've wasted the cost of the lens if the issue persists.

Out of what I've seen, I'd definitely buy an A2 and take a narrower viewer for in car use. It looks quite a bit sharper.

Does that also apply to M2?
The M2 is almost exactly the same size as the M1 so there's no space for additional hardware or a larger supercap. There is also no secondary permanent power supply. So yes, the same applies.

Anyone tested the A2 or D lens in night rides?

Dashmellow has been testing the A2.

@Dashmellow Can we get some preliminary views on the A2?

Sorry, it will have to be a while. Things have been a bit crazy for such things as testing cameras at the moment and also the weather has not been cooperating.
I did do a little testing the other day with the new M1-A2 and the footage seemed oddly dark and I had forgotten to rotate the orientation as well. I need to recheck the settings and start over.
What I really need to do is come up with a way to test the original M1-A next to the M1-A2 side by side with the same settings for comparison.
Stay tuned.

Sorry, it will have to be a while. Things have been a bit crazy for such things as testing cameras at the moment and also the weather has not been cooperating.
I did do a little testing the other day with the new M1-A2 and the footage seemed oddly dark and I had forgotten to rotate the orientation as well. I need to recheck the settings and start over.
What I really need to do is come up with a way to test the original M1-A next to the M1-A2 side by side with the same settings for comparison.
Stay tuned.

They should send you the D lens one too.

Please take your time, no hurry.

They should send you the D lens one too.

Please take your time, no hurry.

BTW, we've had snow, then it rained and now it is 19º Fahrenheit. Later it will be 12º, then 8º. I need to put on my hiking boots and STABILicers just to get out to where my truck is parked! That's the second time this has happened in the last two weeks so it's been a challenge and part of the reason for not going out there to mount and test cameras. It is also just about impossible to get a temporary extra suction cup mount (or any kind out mount) to adhere in frozen weather next to my existing tripod threaded mount so that is another reason it is hard to do side by side comparisons right now. Such is life in Northern New England in January.

Last edited:
BTW, we've had snow, then it rained and now it is 19º Fahrenheit. Later it will be 12º, then 8º. I need to put on my hiking boots and crampons just to get out to where my truck is parked! That's the second time this has happened in the last two weeks so it's been a challenge and part of the reason for not going out there to mount and test cameras. It is also just about impossible to get a temporary extra suction cup mount (or any kind out mount) to adhere in frozen weather next to my existing tripod threaded mount so that is another reason it is hard to do side by side comparisons right now. Such is life in Northern New England in January.

Enjoy the winters. Here it still hasn't dropped below 12° C, should be touching 2-3° C by now. So miffed!

Stay tuned.

ALRIGHT!!

I am looking forward to it, only thing I don't like of test footage in the snow is that it never really gives you a good impression of how it would look like in normal conditions. Same for wet roads, reflection of lights on the wet makes you think the camera is great in low light, but next day when all is dried up, you may conclude the camera is crappy.

So above freezing point and in dry conditions the better camera's really stand up imho.

I mean, when there's snow, or wet, it really is everywhere and only needs minimum illumination. With that, snow is white as well.....

I mean, when there's snow, or wet, it really is everywhere and only needs minimum illumination. With that, snow is white as well.....

I know what you mean but it's not the white colour but rather the reflection of the light off the white. As every photographer knows, 15% grey is the ideal composition of a frame for metering. More white and it causes underexposure and more black, over exposure. It's the light reflection be that sunlight or moonlight or star light that's critical to ambient levels. However, I'm not picking hairs here, I know what you meant. Even at night, ambient light levels are significantly increased due to this reflection making a true comparison of low light performance impossible. It's much the same as we often see with low light levels in videos from China - they're shot in very brightly lit city streets, so whilst it may be dark, it's not far off dull day levels making true unlit road performance immeasurable.

we often see with low light levels in videos from China - they're shot in very brightly lit city streets, so whilst it may be dark, it's not far off dull day levels making true unlit road performance immeasurable.

That's always been a big beef of mine, and a lot of independent reviewers also miss that mark too :mad: Unlighted roads are a part of normal driving and since that's the weakest point of dashcams it is a very important parameter to see ;) With some cams oncoming headlights help a bit but with others you just get blobs of headlights and dimmer details elsewhere :(

We got our once-every-2-years two inches of snow Friday night and it's still on the lawns but the roads are mainly clear now. Whatever is left there will freeze tonight catching the local idiot drivers out :p It's going to get down to 15F again which is about as low as it usually gets here. My C2 Mobius 'sees' the driveway where I park and normally it just barely captures images with nearby lighting, but with the snow helping reflect that light it 'sees' details about twice as well. I'm still ready to see the snow gone even with that :cool:

Phil

Speaking of snow and unlit roads here are a few screen grabs from this evening on my way home testing out a new Mobius with A2 lens. In northern New England less than three weeks out from the Winter solstice it gets pretty dark out by 4:45 PM but these don't look too bad. It is actually quite a bit darker than it looks in these screen shots. I'm just beginning with my testing of the A2 and have not yet reach any definitive conclusions though.

So far the camera seems to have a tendency toward darker looking images and here I've boosted the exposure setting slightly. (I can't quite recall how much at the moment; think it was +10.....need to check.) Edit: turns out it was +15
A2_1b.jpg

A2_1a.jpg

A2_1c.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of snow and unlit roads here are a few screen grabs from this evening on my way home testing out a new Mobius with A2 lens. In northern New England less than three weeks out from the Winter solstice it gets pretty dark out by 4:45 PM but these don't look too bad. It is actually quite a bit darker than it looks in these screen shots. I'm just beginning with my testing of the A2 and have not yet reach any definitive conclusions though.

So far the camera seems to have a tendency toward darker looking images and here I've boosted the exposure setting slightly. (I can't quite recall how much at the moment; think it was +10.....need to check.)
View attachment 28544

View attachment 28543

View attachment 28541

Not too shabby at all dude! Looking pretty good.....

I'm really very interested to see some day and night footage soon!

Cheers!

Here are a few new A2 lens screen shots from today. The camera seems to require an increase in both the exposure and sharpness settings for decent results but these adjustments do work well. The camera performs well and the lens is quite well corrected.

Still waiting on a bright sunny day which I'm starting to think we may not see until maybe April. :(

MobiusA2a.jpg

MobiusA2b.jpg

MobiusA2c.jpg

MobiusA2d.jpg

mSetup.jpg

Back