U3000 rear camera RADAR does not work

It’s crazy that an item this expensive will not work out of the box.

I tried to contact their support multiple time. They are literally ignoring my requests.
Worst customer service. Never ever I buy Thinkware crap again.

So I don't speak for Thinkware, but in my recent conversations with them, they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

This is news to me, in the UK i have not had a single Rear Radar issue reported. I know my one works as the Security LED on the Rear camera comes on when i walk past (i can see it when it's dusk/dark).

Bad news here!
I visited my dashcam installing company today. They performed all the testing and tested many REAR U3000 cameras in my car. ALL REAR CAMERAS FAILED WITH DETECTING MOVEMENTS WHEN RADAR FUNCTION IS ACTIVATED
Congratulations! Thinkware sold us a lemon, not fully working product right from the start!!!!! Great job!
Then now they are keeping silence about the well-known issue.
The installers contacted THINKWARE support today and THINKWARE confirmed that they know about the issue, they confirmed that - ALL REAR RADAR CAMERAS DO NOT WORK AT ALL IN RADAR MODE!
Thinkware support promised to issue a software update but they do not know when it happens. They did not confirm that they would be able to fix the problem or not.
It is so frustrating that such a reputable brand as THINKWARE is so bad in communication and is hiding such a big issue.
Any ideas what should we do?
I personally switched PARKING MODE from RADAR to MOTION DETECTION now since I have an external battery. I assume in motion detection all my cameras will be always in recording mode and I hope for the quick update. I truly believe thinkware management should say a word about the REAR CAMERA issue
Very curious about this. i was going to test it but this is installed in my vehicle. My vehicle had to go for service. I may have to go drive down there and rip it out so I can test. I think I missed this in testing because front camera radar must have been getting triggered. I will try and confirm on my end.

They sent me a replacement rear dashcam, but that does not work either.

I contacted support 2 times by email. They just ignored me both times.never ever I buy from them.

So - what's the story here - does the rear radar work or not?

I've just got the U3000 and the U3000-R's coming in tomorrow and I'm scheduled for an installation on Wednesday, but if the rear radar doesn't work I'm returning the whole kit and caboodle to Thinkware.

Does the rear radar work at current firmware levels (as of September 9, 2023)?

-- Thanks, Verne

So - what's the story here - does the rear radar work or not?

I've just got the U3000 and the U3000-R's coming in tomorrow and I'm scheduled for an installation on Wednesday, but if the rear radar doesn't work I'm returning the whole kit and caboodle to Thinkware.

Does the rear radar work at current firmware levels (as of September 9, 2023)?

-- Thanks, Verne
I have exactly the same question, I've been wanting to order the U3000 for a long time, but I'm still shying away from it because I read about all the problems. Installing a dash cam is not that easy, so the dash cam you choose should work 100%.

I have exactly the same question, I've been wanting to order the U3000 for a long time, but I'm still shying away from it because I read about all the problems. Installing a dash cam is not that easy, so the dash cam you choose should work 100%.
Yeah, I'll be replacing a U1000 dual channel with a U3000 dual channel.

I think I can keep my hardwire, but the U3000 is not compatible with U1000's rear camera, and even the video cable from U3000 to U3000-R has to be replaced with a really thick cable.

I'm having Best Buy put it in - I had 'em put in my Q800 dual channel was was able to just swap components when I installed the U1000, but I'm just gonna let the experts put in the U3000.

I guess I'll go ahead with the install since the only mentions of U3000 rear camera radar malfunction is this thread on DashCamTalk, and I'd really like the longer duration parking mode.

They sent me a replacement rear dashcam, but that does not work either.
I have received my U3000 REAR Dash Cam replacement and have conducted a comprehensive test of the motion detection capabilities, specifically focusing on the detection of moving objects within the range of 1 to 5 meters. Each meter range, from 1 to 5, was meticulously examined, and I am pleased to report that the U3000 Rear Dash Cam performed exceptionally well. It consistently detected motion within the specified range and promptly recorded corresponding videos.

Upon reviewing the videos captured by the U3000 Rear Dash Cam, I was impressed to find that every recorded video accurately depicted the motion detection scenarios simulated during the test.

Please schedule a test for the motion detection feature on your U3000 REAR Dash Cam in RADAR Parking Mode:
  1. Connect to the Thinkware Dash Cam App.
  2. Navigate to Dash Cam Settings > Recording Settings > Parking Mode > RADAR.
  3. Adjust the Rear Radar Sensitivity to MID (This corresponds to a 1–3-meter detection range).
  4. Exit the settings.
  5. Ensure that the Parking Mode is activated.
  6. Create some movements in front of the Rear Dash Cam for approximately 1-2 minutes (e.g., walk towards the Rear Dash Cam within the 1–3-meter range). Take note of the time when these movements occur.
  7. After the movements, log in to the Thinkware Dash Cam App and check if the Dash Cam has recorded videos of these movements.
These tests will help determine whether the Rear Dash Cam is functioning correctly or not.

I contacted support 2 times by email. They just ignored me both times.never ever I buy from them.
I have received my U3000 REAR Dash Cam replacement and have conducted a comprehensive test of the motion detection capabilities, specifically focusing on the detection of moving objects within the range of 1 to 5 meters. Each meter range, from 1 to 5, was meticulously examined, and I am pleased to report that the U3000 Rear Dash Cam performed exceptionally well. It consistently detected motion within the specified range and promptly recorded corresponding videos.

Upon reviewing the videos captured by the U3000 Rear Dash Cam, I was impressed to find that every recorded video accurately depicted the motion detection scenarios simulated during the test.

Please schedule a test for the motion detection feature on your U3000 REAR Dash Cam in RADAR Parking Mode:
  1. Connect to the Thinkware Dash Cam App.
  2. Navigate to Dash Cam Settings > Recording Settings > Parking Mode > RADAR.
  3. Adjust the Rear Radar Sensitivity to MID (This corresponds to a 1–3-meter detection range).
  4. Exit the settings.
  5. Ensure that the Parking Mode is activated.
  6. Create some movements in front of the Rear Dash Cam for approximately 1-2 minutes (e.g., walk towards the Rear Dash Cam within the 1–3-meter range). Take note of the time when these movements occur.
  7. After the movements, log in to the Thinkware Dash Cam App and check if the Dash Cam has recorded videos of these movements.
These tests will help determine whether the Rear Dash Cam is functioning correctly or not.

I did notice that it has "RADAR" printed on the rear camera, doesn't mean that is where the sensor is though, microwave sensors are not easy to see...

Should be easy to test if it is actually in the rear camera, but it seems that people are doing tests on the rear camera and finding that it isn't there, so maybe it isn't!

Not sure if you are saying that you know it is in the rear camera, or if you are just looking at the label?
It would be highly dishonest to have the rear radar actually in the front camera. Especially, without advertising the ability to effectively have 3 channel capability with 2 cameras, as the rear radar mounted in the front camera would detect motion inside the car.

REAR RADAR does not work. It was tested by professional installers (they tested many U3000) and they called to Thinkware special phone line for installers. Thinkware confirmed a defect over phone to my installers.
Then Thinkware decided to hide all the information from the public. It is dishonest and disgusting.
My installers (professionals company) performed many tests with rear U3000 and apologized that rear radar does not work at all. Thinkware informed them that they are working on the fix.
Fak them all

I call them twice a week to get this resolved. Every single time I get the same answer i.e. Product Managers are reviewing my case and they will get back to me.

We should all file a group lawsuit against the company. This is just unacceptable.

This is news to me, in the UK i have not had a single Rear Radar issue reported. I know my one works as the Security LED on the Rear camera comes on when i walk past (i can see it when it's dusk/dark).
Maybe they only fail under North American regulations?
Since they are microwave transmitters, there are probably differences in the regulations.

Can i just ask anyone that is having this issue, this question. I have done some more testing this week including putting the Front U3000 in a Metal box so the Radar could not escape and then walking to the back of my vehicle. The Radar IS in the Rear camera for certain as it still picked me up at the Rear no problem as it should do.

I did find a couple of times on the App though that the below screen didn't always show me the latest recordings when i presses the '2 Motion' button. If i Closed that and pressed the Centre circled button, then used the filter at the top to just show Parking Recording the clips did then show. Anyone with a suspected issue can you confirm you get the same results this way please?
Dashcamlink.png
Many thanks
Steve

Back