UK - £30 DashCam at Aldi with 3 Year Warranty

Enhanced 1080p – Real 720p HD 1280 x 720
So it's FoolHD. :rolleyes::D

From the back, the screen and the buttons look similar to my AT11DA but it seems the similarities end there.

So it's FoolHD. :rolleyes::D.
I wondered what "enhanced 1080p" meant & the only definition I could find was applied to televisions - it's a poor man's 4k, a stepping stone between 108p and 4k.

Surely this would have to say 108p (720p interpolated) or even enhanced 720p or similar?
I guess the only real way is to buy one, open up the case & see what components it uses? Unless anyone can tell me differently?

I wondered what "enhanced 1080p" meant & the only definition I could find was applied to televisions - it's a poor man's 4k, a stepping stone between 108p and 4k.

Surely this would have to say 108p (720p interpolated) or even enhanced 720p or similar?
The "p" stands for progressive, as opposed to interpolated, which is "i", so it could never be 720p interpolated. ;)
The correct way should've been upscaled 720p.

I guess the only real way is to buy one, open up the case & see what components it uses? Unless anyone can tell me differently?
I bet it's a Novatek 96220 but no one better than @jokiin to answer that question.

Last edited:
I currantly use a polaroid cube which is great and last approx 90 mins in 1080 and 720 and they both work just as good. I manage to get this at a bargain price of £30. But I might go out and buy one of these Aldi ones for £30, so I could have a front and rear camera. But for £30 you can't go wrong and with a 3 year warranty.

Great forum guys thanks

I'll pop round to see how they look on the shelf! With a 3 year guarantee, possibly better than no camera.

buy one and try it as aldi refund anything..

With a 3 year guarantee, possibly better than no camera.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. No manufacturer would produce a 720p camera just to keep the price down when there are proper FullHD cameras around that cost the same or just a little over.
"Something is better than nothing" doesn't quite work in the dashcam world.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. No manufacturer would produce a 720p camera just to keep the price down when there are proper FullHD cameras around that cost the same or just a little over.

yes and no, a good 720p camera can still be better that a poor 1080p one, that's not to say it's good, bad or otherwise, that remains to be seen, not expecting miracles at the price though

yes and no, a good 720p camera can still be better that a poor 1080p one, that's not to say it's good, bad or otherwise, that remains to be seen, not expecting miracles at the price though

G1W ?

G1W sells cheap from online vendors, if it was an Aldi product where they had paid VAT, duties etc it wouldn't be a comparable price, in other words for the price of this one they're selling work backwards from the retail and account for duties, VAT, freight etc and you can see it needs to be a very cheap camera, at those kind of prices you don't get much in the way of quality at 1080p

at the low end good 720p can still be better than poor 1080p, at the price though it's going to be a stretch either way

G1W have Novatek 96620 and Novatek 96650 version,I know China market have many fake G1W ,the quality could not compare with original manufacturer
Dome's G1W is real 1920X1080p30, cost is nearly same as G1WH,if you are in UK,could try to enquiry at www.joovuu.com

yes and no, a good 720p camera can still be better that a poor 1080p one,
I'm not an expert but I don't think a good 720p camera would cost so little.

Hi All

Purchased two of these ALDI dash cams, one for front one for rear, to replace a very cheap no name dash cam.

Did some testing: Both dash cams set to same settings and max resolution, and both recording at the same time.

ALDI dash cam 1 image was seemed blurred (out of focus) (only just better quality than the no name cheap dash cam) and no number plates or road signs could be read on play back on a pc.

ALDI dash cam 2 image was much sharper and in focus and number plates when pulling up behind a car could easily be read.

So ALDI dash cam 1 will be returned as faulty for a refund.

Why is it the end user is now the final quality control!

Phoned support number in supplied manual and asked what is the true resolution of the video sensor answer "don't know, we only know what's printed in the manual".

BTW anyone know the video chip inside and its true specs?

Regards Mike

Just to say I purchased one of these.

Yes, it's not a true 1080p camera but it's decent enough and displays the reg. numbers of cars OK.

It's running the same software and the C600 dash cam available online and places like BHS Direct etc.

Screen shot from a recording below.

Attachments

• dash-cam.jpg
    dash-cam.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 20
Would you have any pictures of what the camera looks like?

Hi

Link from the support website listed in the manual
384_1_LARGE.jpg

The mount is different from the one in the box.

Link to the pdf manual on line http://quesh.co.uk/data/images/products/66704UG.pdf

Regards Mike

Back