UK members, Car Insurance Discount?

mpm235

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
has any UK members here managed to get a discount on their Car Insurance for having a Dash Cam? I've noticed that AXA and Swift Cover advertise as giving discounts, but has anyone ever got a genuine discount? Or is it just advertising gimmicks? Thanks, Mark

The main problem with getting a discount for having a dashcam is that if you were ever in a position to need it as evidence and you find it’s either corrupt or not worked for some reason then they may not uphold your insurance.

You would be far better just to pay your insurance as normal, and use the footage as and when it’s needed to cover yourself.

From what i have heard if you weren't able to supply your video for any reason the worst that would happen is they revoke your discount with immediate effect. (I'm no expert on this though!!)

I know Confused.com added the question 'Dashcam Fitted?' Yes or No to their questions a while back but i've never tried it with both options to see if the made any difference to pricing.

I found that no matter what insurer offered discount "with a dashcam" I was still able to find companies that didn't offer the discount would still provide cheaper quotes

Some insurers only recognise certain brands too.

From what i have heard if you weren't able to supply your video for any reason the worst that would happen is they revoke your discount with immediate effect. (I'm no expert on this though!!)

I know Confused.com added the question 'Dashcam Fitted?' Yes or No to their questions a while back but i've never tried it with both options to see if the made any difference to pricing.

I did try using Confused.com, went through it twice, once without "dashcam fitted" and then again with. Made no difference at all to the quotes that came back, all were exactly the same. This was the reason I asked my original question. Thanks

Every time I've ever used Confused.com and then called an insurer to take up the best quote, I've mentioned having a dashcam and the Customer Service person has basically just skipped over the issue and dismissively told me that it doesn't make any difference to the premium whatever the model. That's several different companies over the past few years, so IMO it's all BS. I'd be interested to know how Nextbase can claim that you get a discount with their cams, because in reality you don't in my experience.

I think the insurance industry just encourages people to get cams because it *might* help them out, but they aren't willing to subsidise them or reward you for having one, possibly because someone might not have their cam plugged-in when push comes to shove, or the cam/ card may have malfunctioned etc. Perhaps that'll change when more car manfucturers start fitting them as standard and/or the use of dashcams becomes more reliable?

Every time I've ever used Confused.com and then called an insurer to take up the best quote, I've mentioned having a dashcam and the Customer Service person has basically just skipped over the issue and dismissively told me that it doesn't make any difference to the premium whatever the model. That's several different companies over the past few years, so IMO it's all BS. I'd be interested to know how Nextbase can claim that you get a discount with their cams, because in reality you don't in my experience.

I think the insurance industry just encourages people to get cams because it *might* help them out, but they aren't willing to subsidise them or reward you for having one, possibly because someone might not have their cam plugged-in when push comes to shove, or the cam/ card may have malfunctioned etc. Perhaps that'll change when more car manfucturers start fitting them as standard and/or the use of dashcams becomes more reliable?
I don't think the "insurance industry just encourages people to get cams"?

I think most insurers would like to discourage you from having cameras because people who have evidence like to fight claims until they win, and fighting claims on average costs the insurer more than just accepting 50/50. Just looking at video takes time and time is money, if they then have to involve a lawyer to fight the case then...

Possibly an individual insurer could profit from only accepting customers with cameras, as long as the insurer could decide if a case should be fought or not before involving the lawyers, but for the insurance industry as a whole, I think it makes sense for none of them to encourage dashcams or fight cases with dashcam evidence since they will then all be better off. And if the insurers are better off then the customers are probably also better off, on average! Of course that doesn't apply to most people here since we are all good drivers who only get involved in accidents caused by others and so will always win.

my renewal in sept 2018 with AXA dropped around £60/70 off my insurance never bothered saying i had a dash cam fitted before but soon as i said about it they dropped the price :)

my renewal in sept 2018 with AXA dropped around £60/70 off my insurance never bothered saying i had a dash cam fitted before but soon as i said about it they dropped the price :)
Hello Baz I'm with AXA. Hopefully I will have a similar experience when I renew at end of March. thanks, Mark

Back