Undercover video provides rare glimpse into possible auto insurance fraud

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Some people get dash cams so there are not victims of insurance frauds. Thought some people would find this interesting.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/undercover...-into-possible-auto-insurance-fraud-1.2812297

It isn't shocking that some drivers drive in reverse and claim to be rear ended or exaggerating minor hits to be more painful and seeking a big settlement. What is shocking is chiropractors and paralegals are coaching people how to make insurance claims.

What's really shocking is there's an insurance company that actually thinks it's worthwhile combating such fraud!

The insurance industry as a whole is largely responsible for the mess as they usually don't care about doing what's right, just taking the course of action that works out cheapest overall. I.E. rolling over, paying out, and passing the cost on to customers.

In Ontario, drivers, the insurance agencies, the government and the police are all aware to the amount of fraud going.

The infamous "why you need a dash cam" video, where the accident occurred, would be a 15 minute drive from the "Wellness" centre where the accident took place.

Yesterday, not counting my car I saw two cars with dash cams in a small parking lot and then later saw a car with one in my rear view mirror. I see at least one a day while driving to work but as many as five.

The Ontario government had a campaign going on about fraud and I think the fact a wellness company billed an insurance company for something they thought was closed tipped them off.

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/hotline/pages/default.aspx
From
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/Pages/targeting_fraud.aspx
notice
  • demanding detailed repair and medical bills, and carefully reviewing them to make sure you received all goods and services you were billed for, and
  • reviewing benefit payment information from your insurance company to confirm that treatments, medical providers, and dates are accurately listed.

I have noticed since the advent of dash cams, and the government cracking down, my rates haven't been increasing as much from year to year.

Last edited:
What is shocking is chiropractors and paralegals are coaching people how to make insurance claims.
Thats not the case here, the doctors here just want you out the door so they can bill the public helthservice 1000 dollars for 45 seconds of work.

Actually we just had a case where a doctor that was pretty braindead due to a stroke was still practsing, and exposing his clinents to all manner of stupid stuff, this whent on for the good part of a decade before the SOB was finally stopped ( by newspaper journalists )

Still fraud is pretty common here too, but you dont really need any coaching for it, cuz due to the way things work here its pretty easy, you can fraud a 2 digit million in VAT Faud pretty easy, cheating on the income taxes is a national sport here.

All those rankings for this and that in countries got to be rigged too, some things where my home country is ranking high i am like ????+ WTF you got to be kidding me.
I am pretty sure rankings like that is a means to keep ppl happy in ther respective high ranked countries.

Thats not the case here, the doctors here just want you out the door so they can bill the public helthservice 1000 dollars for 45 seconds of work.

We have something know as the college of physicians that investigates doctors and from time to time it hits the press as one doctor may have overbilled. Chiropractors I believe are covered only by insurance and thus if an insurance company, unlike the government, detects repeated wrong doing, they investigate. We switched insurance companies went it got too expensive.

Chiropractors and dentists are not a part of the Danish helthcare model, this do not mean they are cheap to visit so you have to cough up all or at least most if you have some form of additional insurance.
Here we now ( since 2011 ) have a patient ombudsman you can complain to ( i think thats the fair way to translate but offcourse its not 1 person )
But launching a complaint about a doctor of any kind is pretty invane i feel, if i dident i would complain about the MOFO that cut a nerve in my face 3-4 years ago, and leaving me with a still numb and partly uncontrolleable right side of my face.

perhaps if you got your apendix removed and they forgot a slice of pizza inside you, but general incompetence is allmost rewarded here.

When i was a child Danish doctors and hospitals was the best in the world, thats far from the case now :(

Its not uncommon to save up to 50% on your dental work if you go outside Denmark.

Back