Understanding shut down?

wanke7

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a little confused on how it is supposed to shut down. I have hardwired it to switched 12 volts off of the ignition.

When the engine is stopped and the key turned to off the 0806 just keeps recording until the battery dies.

Is this how it is supposed to work?

mine carries on running for maybe 3 to 6 seconds after power to it is cut, I’m sure this is the time needed to save the file to prevent file corruption and save it properly, all the DVR’s I’ve owned all carried on running for a few seconds after power to them was cut

I am a little confused on how it is supposed to shut down. I have hardwired it to switched 12 volts off of the ignition.

When the engine is stopped and the key turned to off the 0806 just keeps recording until the battery dies.

Is this how it is supposed to work?

@mollydog is right. It needs a bit of time to save the file. Also, a car DVR is basically a little computer and the small amount of time it takes to save the last file is somewhat analogous to the way your home computer needs a bit of time to shut itself down too. Even though it may seem that way, the battery in the dash cam is NOT dying and that is not what shuts it down. If the battery were to die, the camera wouldn't hold the date and time settings.

Last edited:
Just a thought when you say you’ve hard wired into the ignition on, just on the off chance, you haven’t wired it to the radio wire, the one that still gives live/power to the radio so to keep/remember the settings on the radio? if so then switching off the ignition will not stop power going to the radio, unless its an old car or an old radio without any SS memory

Most if not all radios since 80's have 2 wires : permanent AND switched power ! Often colored red & yellow/orange

Just tap on the good one ;-)

@mollydog is right. It needs a bit of time to save the file. Also, a car DVR is basically a little computer and the small amount of time it takes to save the last file is somewhat analogous to the way your home computer needs a bit of time to shut itself down too. Even though it may seem that way, the battery in the dash cam is NOT dying and that is not what shuts it down. If the battery were to die, the camera wouldn't hold the date and time settings.
I would add that the shutting time will depend on chosen file segment length (I haven't tried but it seems logical to me)

I would add that the shutting time will depend on chosen file segment length (I haven't tried but it seems logical to me)

I don't really know if that's how it works or not. I guess that's why I said "a bit of time". Often when there is a power loss problem on shutdown the last file seems to get corrupted rather than lost completely so perhaps there is some other process than writing the entire last clip to memory. This one might be a good question for @jokiin.

I don't really know if that's how it works or not. I guess that's why I said "a bit of time". Often when there is a power loss problem on shutdown the last file seems to get corrupted rather than lost completely so perhaps there is some other process than writing the entire last clip to memory. This one might be a good question for @jokiin.

shutdown time only depends on how it's coded in the firmware, it's possible to close the recording and power off in well under a second, battery models typically don't though as they don't have a need to shutdown quickly and normally have the camera continue for some time after power off as a feature, this feature comes about as a way to work around problems with cars that cut power when cranking during startup

User error it shuts down fine. I had it wired to hot 12 volts. Thank you for all the suggestions...I like the friendliness of this forum :)

I guess I was expecting something different. If left on a hot 12 volts I was expecting the camera to sense the car's voltage dropping from alternator volts to battery volts and then shutting down then.

Last edited:
Back