Uniden dashcam installation

ryan83

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I just purchased a Uniden igocam90R from Perth Western Australia.

I’ve purchased a hardware installation kit as well. I plan on getting an auto electrician to install it.

How will the rear camera be powered the installation kit doesn’t seem to have wires long enough.

Also what’s your opinion of the Uniden brand, I can’t seem to find it on this forum.

Thanks

If this is it, I would return it for a refund, and do more research before making another purchase.

Also what’s your opinion of the Uniden brand, I can’t seem to find it on this forum.
Uniden is a trusted brand in radio comms.
They where very popular with radio telephones years ago.

I jumped on to their site and was surprised they are still talking about home wireless phones as if people still buy them.

I was also very surprised to see on their website the dashcam you purchased has a label over the dashcam claiming its new.

Any YouTube stuff i found was a year old so it's not really new.

4WD I'm pretty sure still use Uniden for two way.

The picture quality on the dash cam based on YouTube didn't look very good.

I've owned Uniden home phones and they where my goto but I don't have a home phone line anymore.

I may have even had a CB radio they made back in the day.

In regards to the rear camera it is usually powered from the front camera.

Uniden is a trusted brand in radio comms.
They where very popular with radio telephones years ago.

I jumped on to their site and was surprised they are still talking about home wireless phones as if people still buy them.

I was also very surprised to see on their website the dashcam you purchased has a label over the dashcam claiming its new.

Any YouTube stuff i found was a year old so it's not really new.

4WD I'm pretty sure still use Uniden for two way.

The picture quality on the dash cam based on YouTube didn't look very good.

I've owned Uniden home phones and they where my goto but I don't have a home phone line anymore.

I may have even had a CB radio they made back in the day.

In regards to the rear camera it is usually powered from the front camera.
It’s made in Japan, sign of quality.

What’s wrong with it?
1.) No STARVIS 2 Image Sensor
2.) No HDR

The first thing that caught my attention was I recognized the case design.
It looks very similar to a generic made camera that is sold under many different brand names.

1.) No STARVIS 2 Image Sensor
2.) No HDR

The first thing that caught my attention was I recognized the case design.
It looks very similar to a generic made camera that is sold under many different brand names.
Is the Viofo A229 Pro any good?

What PP say is it is not a top of the line system, but rest assured just about any dashcam is a lot better than no dashcam, if it was not so many of us would have wasted our time and money in the past decade.
If your front camera can record the road in the light of your headlights at night, and see the side of the road and lane markings, and it can also record the color of lights you go thru, that go a long way still
Now if someone sideswipe you and make a run for it, sure a older camera stand less of a chance of getting a identifying shot of the offenders plate, but on this even a top of the line system can still fail you too.

The only thing really, could you have gotten more bang for your buck.

Only Uniden i know off in Denmark is CB radios

The A229pro is top of the like 4K camera with the starvis 2 sensor / sensors in it, i would kill to get one of those to beat on

Is the Viofo A229 Pro any good?
I would really like to say yes, go ahead and buy it.
To be honest the night time HDR still needs fine tuning through firmware updates.
It's about 85%-90% finished in my opinion.
Once they get it dialed in to 100% it will have the best image quality on the market, and most likely dominate 2024, just like the A139 Pro dominated 2023.
Right now in its current state I like the HDR from the A119 Mini 2 & A139 Pro better.

All dashcams are a bit rough around the edges on launch, in this too early adopters are sort of beta testers.
Bug in general they work as they should on the main things like recording and stopping recording ASO, but like always image quality will need some tweaking and maybe also some of the higher features.

That was also true for the A 139 pro and A119 mini 2 when they just launched.

Viofo are on the ball most often in regard to fixing this stuff.
Other brands not so much, and even other brands you will never see a update after the camera launch so you just get what you get.

The A229 duo is the old version, the new with the starvis 2 stuff in it i believe is called A229 duo plus, having nice 1440p sensors front and rear.

I tested the old A 229 duo and it was a just fine camera, but it have the older starvis sensors front and rear not the new ones, the difference are not HUGE but it is there alright, if the money are there you should go for the new model.

Old sensors in 1440p was named IMX 335 where the new ones are named IMX 675 as i recall, and IMX 678 if its the 4K version

Last edited:
Some A229 duo footage of mine.

Seems very clear, I just cancelled my Uniden order.

What about memory cards, the proprietary Viofo ones seem very expensive, can they be substituted?

Yes Viofo are not picky about what memory cards they like, you have to be unlucky to choose one that will not work.

I have a card collection of 12 256 GB memory cards i test cameras with, generally focussed on the cheaper range of the models, though mainly well know brand names, only oddball brand i have is silicon power cards

Viofo also have a list of confirmed good cards, pictured in that thread too

my tested cards confirmed working in A229 DUO, and thats just some of them, it seem i never updated my post on that :oops:

Last edited:
If you want to use parking guard yes to hardwire kit, in AU + parking guard use, summer parked inside or the very least in the shade, or outside in the winter,

Parking guard are limited by heat, so if camera get too hot it will shut down to protect itself.
And as we all know the only cold place in AU is the heart of politicians there :) the rest is blooming hot from the weather to the sheilas.

If you just want your dash 12 V socket free for other stuff like phone, you can buy a female12 V socket and wire that into a fuse and t hen use the provided "normal " power source, mind you here you probably will want to make sure those 2 plugs can not slide apart under the dash. ( zip ties or duct tape )
You can provably also do a 1 to 2 12 V sockets adaptor on the dash, but they look stupid i think.
Of course you can also get hard wire kit but not use that feature, and then just record while you drive, but i think a 12 V plug will be cheaper then, it is also just 2 wires where the hardwire kit are 3 wires.

Last edited:
Back