Unplayable 1.99 GB files when LOOP MODE OFF

pebr

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 Mini
I have 3 days A119 Mini (firmware V1.0_0621) with a memory card Sandisk Extreme 128 GB (the exact one as Viofo recommends ).
When LOOP MODE is OFF the camera does not make a continual video (as I supposed it will do record 1 h, 2 h or 6 h videos depending on memory card size), but it makes files 15 minutes long, size 1.99 GB and mostly unplayable (8 from 10 are unplayable).
Power supply - car 12 V adapter or phone charger 5V/2A at home on a table.
At any resolution.
Does not play files, does not show thumbnails on camera, on mobile (WiFi), on PC (VLC player or any other player).

I don't know what to do with that.
If somebody could help ...

Right on Pebr,
Let me try to duplicate that issue with my A119 Mini.
I'll try it with two different SD Cards.
The official Viofo 64GB, and the Viofo recommended Samsung Pro Endurance.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 1 .png
    1 .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 7
I have 3 days A119 Mini (firmware V1.0_0621) with a memory card Sandisk Extreme 128 GB (the exact one as Viofo recommends ).
When LOOP MODE is OFF the camera does not make a continual video (as I supposed it will do record 1 h, 2 h or 6 h videos depending on memory card size), but it makes files 15 minutes long, size 1.99 GB and mostly unplayable (8 from 10 are unplayable).
Power supply - car 12 V adapter or phone charger 5V/2A at home on a table.
At any resolution.
Does not play files, does not show thumbnails on camera, on mobile (WiFi), on PC (VLC player or any other player).

I don't know what to do with that.
If somebody could help ...

In all probability it’s the card. Where did you get it from? Test it - https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows

I just set up the A119 Mini to try to duplicate this issue, (Samsung Pro Endurance 64GB).
I set up the A229 Duo to also try to duplicate this issue, (Samsung Pro Endurance 64GB).
I'll let the cameras run for 1 hour, and report back.
Then I'll do another 1 hour test with Viofo 64GB SD Cards.
So exciting! lol
See attached photos for setting, and available recording times.
-Chuck

Attachments

• A229 Duo Max Bitrate .jpg
    A229 Duo Max Bitrate .jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 11
  • A229 Duo Loop OFF .jpg
    A229 Duo Loop OFF .jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 10
  • A229 Duo Available Record Time .jpg
    A229 Duo Available Record Time .jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 9
  • A119 Mini 2K@60fps .jpg
    A119 Mini 2K@60fps .jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 9
  • A119 Mini Bitrate High .jpg
    A119 Mini Bitrate High .jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 9
  • A119 Mini Loop OFF .jpg
    A119 Mini Loop OFF .jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 10
  • A119 Mini Available Record Time .jpg
    A119 Mini Available Record Time .jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 11
I let the A119 Mini record for 1 Hour 18 Minutes with the Samsung Pro Endurance 64GB SD Card.
It generated 15 Minute clips approximately 1.1GB.
All video are playable.
I don’t see malfunctions of any kind.
It appears the “OFF” setting in the Loop Recording menu is really 15 minutes.
I’m running the second test with the Viofo MLC 64GB SD Card.
See attached computer screenshots.

I’ll make a separate post for the A229 Duo.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 1 .png
    1 .png
    95 KB · Views: 5
  • 2 .png
    2 .png
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 5
I let the A229 Duo record for 1 Hour 24 Minutes with the Samsung Pro Endurance 64GB SD Card.
It generated 15 Minute clips for both front & rear cameras, (3.3GB & 2.7GB)
All video are playable.
I don’t see malfunctions of any kind.
It appears the “OFF” setting in the Loop Recording menu is really 15 minutes.
I’m running the second test with the Viofo MLC 64GB SD Card.
See attached computer screenshots.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 3 .png
    3 .png
    887.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2 .png
    2 .png
    650.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1 .png
    1 .png
    127.3 KB · Views: 4
I duplicated the same testing as above using the Viofo MLC 64GB SD Cards in both cameras.
The results were identical.
-Chuck

Thank you Chuck and Harsh.
Harsh: I tested it with your SW and the card is OK. Viofo recommends this card.
Chuck: At all other settings of my camera videos are playable, only when loop is off it gives 15 min. mostly nonplayabe 1.99 GB files.
At least we know the so-called "loop off" mode is still actually 15 minutes loop mode.
While FAT 32 format is limited with a maximal file size of 4 GB then there cannot be any continual video with length let's say 1 h, 3 h or so on these dash cameras?

I see Youtube is full of dash cam videos with lengths 4, 6, or 8 hours.
So how they do that? Do they simply join many loop videos into one continual video? And the joints are not visible there?
What SW do they use?

I see Youtube is full of dash cam videos with lengths 4, 6, or 8 hours.
So how they do that? Do they simply join many loop videos into one continual video? And the joints are not visible there?
What SW do they use?
I don't know.
I'm not sure.

It is quite normal for video cameras to still record in some segment size, often around 4 GB, this is the hardcoded into the fat 32 FAT system as the MAX file size it can handle, but i think this is also so with other file systems like exFAT.
It is also a issue of security like dashcams record in smaller segments so if a file corrupt you loose as little as possible.

My Osmo action camera do the very same if you record a long session.
I think it is hard to come up with any consumer camera that do not do this.

So Why do GoPros Cut the Video Files Up?​

There are two overlapping parts to the answer. The first is that it’s a safety precaution. By splitting up the video it reduces the chance of you losing all your footage if the file gets corrupted somehow. It’s called chaptering, and the idea is that if one chapter gets corrupted the others should still be okay because they’re separate files. So you’ll lose one egg instead of the whole basket of them.

But there’s also a practical limitation. If GoPro’s didn’t break footage into chapters, you wouldn’t be able to shoot more than about 9 minutes of video at a time at the highest settings. That’s to maintain file system compatibility.

The newer models of GoPro use chapters of a maximum size of 4GB. Earlier models use smaller sizes. That 4GB limit isn’t some random number they dreamed up. So why use that number and not, say 25GB? Or, like some cameras, no limit?

The answer has to do with maximum compatibility and the limitations of the filesystem used on your memory card. By far the most widely compatible filesystem these days is known as FAT32 (for 32-bit File Allocation Table).

FAT32 is quite old–Microsoft first rolled it out with Windows 95–and it lacks some of the sophistication and features of newer file systems such as exFAT. Nevertheless, it has things going for it: it’s reliable, it offers solid performance, and, most importantly, it is very widely compatible.

That last point is crucial, because it means that you can put your memory card in pretty much any computer and be able to read it without having to install extra software. Whether you’re using Windows, Mac, or Linux, a FAT32 external hard drive or thumb drive or memory card should work. So nearly all consumer devices aim to be compatible with FAT32.

But FAT32 has a limitation hardcoded into it: the maximum file size that it can handle is 4GB. Back in Windows 95 days, that seemed pretty huge. These days, not so much.

If you’re recording high-definition video on a GoPro HERO10 Black, for instance, you’re going to fill up 4GB pretty quickly. In some video modes that shoot at up to 100 Mbps video bitrate, it’s as quick as seven or eight minutes. If you’re using smaller or lower quality settings, you’ll get more footage before you hit that 4GB threshold.

That’s why GoPro breaks its videos up. Once you get to 4GB, it’ll tie off that segment and start a new one. Once that new one gets to 4GB, it’ll start another. And so on, until you stop the recording, the card fills up, or your battery runs out.

A wrinkle is that GoPros don’t actually use FAT32 in every instance. And it’s quite technically possible for a camera to detect the filesystem and adjust its behavior. Some Fujifilm and Sony cameras, for instance, will save 4GB segments when a SDHC card is used (i.e., 32GB or smaller) but use a continuous stream when larger, SDXC cards, are used."

I have the same issue. Tried with several different SD cards (sizes&brands). Reported it to Viofo, and the last statement is that they are looking into it.
It seems when the recording is stopped (manually or by shutting car/power off), the last file is ok.
But during recording, at the 15 min cutoff, it fails to write header info.

I've been able to repair these files using a tool (wondershare repairit), that lets you select an example file so it doesn't have to guess all the metadata.

One tip was to view those files in the dashcam. When I do that, it takes a lot of thinking, and then something will appear. However it will lose most of the video (only a few minutes of the 15min segment is recovered that way)
So to me the only difference between loop or no loop should be that the camera stops recording when the media is full as opposed to overwriting the oldest recording.

Apparently not. IMO the segment duration and looping or not should be separate settings. They are now tied (turn loop off and you cannot select segment duration)

After installing the latest firmware and doing a quick test by turning on the mini on my desk, it seems to have improved. All files are playable now. Still some oddities like OSX only showing properties (e.g. size, fps, etc) for some of the files and not all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E A119 Mini 5
I A119 Mini 4
mariomart A119 Mini 64
Back