Up to 10% Insurance Discount for UK DashCam Users

My renewal is due in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to seeing what they say!

Interesting development but methinks insurance company quotes will be 'front loaded' to allow such discounts to be applied thus appearing to 'recognise' the use of these devices - much the same as just about all discount driven deals.

I am just going through the renewal process right now and have asked the question "is a discount available for fitting such devices?" so far out of the five insurance companies only one came back with a 'yes' but with a caveat that I should be able to prove it was fitted and in use at all times but they would reserve the right to retrieve the discount and, wait for it, "seek redress" for misrepresentation in other words 'lying to obtain a better deal' if it subsequently found that I indeed did not have such a device.

I noted on BBC's 'Crime Watch' the other night the issues of insurance scam staged accidents was highlighted and at the end of the piece the presenter mentioned that DC's can be an extremely useful device for providing evidence against these crooks (aka scum bags) who undertake these scams.

they should do something to give incentive, get a discount if you can provide footage in the case of a claim etc

They will not give a discount or money back 'after the event' If a discount is available it would be offered at the initial quotation stage.

They will not give a discount or money back 'after the event' If a discount is available it would be offered at the initial quotation stage.

there's lots of ways it could be handled, in an at fault claim you need to pay some money to process the claim? If so (it works like this in other markets) perhaps a discount for producing the footage, if you only give people a discount to have a camera it's of little benefit if they can't get the footage, of course when someone is in the right they're all too happy to produce the evidence, how do you encourage that to happen if they're in the wrong though?

how do you encourage that to happen if they're in the wrong though?
I don't know how it works in other countries, but here in Mexico if you're not at fault for the accident you don't pay a thing and your insurance premium is not affected. If you're the one to blame then you have to pay your deductible (about 3% - 5% of the updated commercial value of your vehicle) but your insurance premium doesn't increase. I've also read that in other countries they tend to resolve any differences by declaring both drivers at fault. That's also rare over here, in my experience there's almost always one driver singled out as responsible. If I were involved in an accident and I was the driver to blame, a discount in my deductible would encourage me to provide the footage anyway.

I did read in one of the threads on here of someone charging the insurers for the video footage - if that is the case then that is essentially a discount as you're getting extra money back for that too.

I don't think it was a large figure - maybe £25?

The Insurance industry operates very differently here in the UK in many cases when resolving who did what and no evidence to prove one or other is the 'guilty party' then it is based on a 'knock for knock' and both drivers premiums will go up the following year.

By way of an example of how stupid the insurance 'game' is here in the UK read on: -

My daughter last year was the middle car in a group of three waiting at a set of traffic lights the first car - a Taxi - moved off and she followed and almost immediately the Taxi driver slammed on his brakes for no explainable reason and subsequently she collided (at approx 5mph) into his rear end - her fault of course - no damage to her small car but the taxi driver jumped out and in his mother tongue started pointing out damage , personal injury and threatening legal action etc.

The third cars driver thankfully stopped and stepped in suggested he call the police and it all went quiet - exchanged details etc and the taxi driver left but the third car driver told my daughter he had a dash-cam which had recorded the events albeit one car back and he would be more than happy to let her have a copy. In the post came a DVD with the filmed event and whilst it might not have been excellent it certainly supported up her submission.

Insurance company were duly advised and sent the DVD they said nothing at all that is until some 4 months later when we had a call asking if my daughter would appear in court as the other party had slapped in a £6500 neck injury claim and severe damage to his (10yr old) car.

I explained she was now in Australia and I am sure would fly back if they paid her return air fare - they declined. I reminded them that they had a DVD record of the event complete with all the details of time, location date, speed etc sorry they said but we are unable to use it as the third party who recorded it was not involved in the accident and it would be unlikely the court would accept it as eveidence.

I suggested she could visit an Australian firm of solicitors and make sworn statement which they would then forward for use in court again no interest was shown, I hit the roof and really went for the jugular all to no avail though just not interested.

The insurance company paid up in full never even challenged the claim - however justice sometimes comes in a different way - the driver was arrested a couple of weeks later for doing the same scam again but this time the old bill had him banged to rights as they discovered he was in the UK illegally and had been working here for 6 years. The sad end to this saga is he absconded and has not been seen since.

When she returns (if she does) her car WILL have a dash-cam I will make sure of that.

I wouldn't want to admit to having a Dashcam just to get an extra 10% discount (around £30 for me) in case the dash cam didn't capture the incident. If you say yes then have to tell them it didn't capture it, then what?

Not worth the hassle for a small fee, would have to be at least 30/40% before I would admit it

Fully agree with Byron.

Regardless of insurance discounts etc I am 'sold' on the idea of fitting one (when I decide which one!) to my own car just has to be the sensible and logical thing to do.

I forgot to update this - I renewed my insurance policy last week and the broker (Sky Insurance in the UK) gives no discount for them.

I did manage to get a good discount anyway from what they initially wanted, and on the plus side I don't have to immediately worry if the camera stops recording if I have an accident as the cameras are not a requirement of the policy.

I wouldn't want to admit to having a Dashcam just to get an extra 10% discount (around £30 for me) in case the dash cam didn't capture the incident. If you say yes then have to tell them it didn't capture it, then what?

Not worth the hassle for a small fee, would have to be at least 30/40% before I would admit it
This thread was suggested as I was commenting on a similar thread.
IF insurer offers discount for dashcam...
IF the discount is 10%, would it be 10% for an £8 cam off ebay and the same % for a £300 cam?
I also believe that the insurer would say that all footage from that cam is theirs - they have, in effect, bought all rights to that footage - in a similar way that models sign away rights to pics taken by photographers.

I would say it is far better to not haggle for discount but to simply add a dashcam to the policy as an extra (my current insurer allows up to 3 low value mods) A £50 cam is fine - but would they be as happy with a £300 cam?

So those with a dozen dashcams will get almost free insurance if it's 10% per dashcam. ;)

I did inquire at my last renewal date about discounts for fitted DC's and their answer was typical of the insurance industry today "no we don't offer any BUT would require any evidence captured by said equipment in the case of a claim" make ofthat what you will.

I think here in the US we are far off from doing any dashcam discount. Not to say the idea isn't in the back of someone's mind, but it would take quite a bit of work I imagine. From deciding dashcams qualify, random video requests to insure you're actually using it etc. The only way I could see there being a discount is if you purchased a car with stock cams so when they run the VIN it comes up as your car being a bit safer than the next.

From my experience those companies that do offer dashcam discount are generally more expensive than others that don't.
YMMV of course :)

Back