USA Lawmakers Move One Step Closer Toward Ending Daylight Saving Time Change (permanently)

hehe i do love those old "Uncle Sam" posters

Here they are talking about having the car free Sundays like during the oil crisis in the 70ties.

As someone who studied graphic design and has done it professionally, it's not just the Uncle Sam iconography but the whole sense of design, layout and use of typography from the era that I enjoy and learn from. Since these posters were from 1918, not even twenty years into the 20th century, they were examples of a modernist transition away from the sensibilities of the 19th century.

One thing i can say for sure when all the ice have melted on our island up north, and huge amounts of Unoptanium is found,,,,,, we are not sharing unless you sing over your first born and pay a fortune for it.

A stiff price for sure but from what you are saying it sounds like Greenland is still up for sale! :smuggrin:

The Americans opened a representation in this god forsaken frozen wasteland called Greenland, and it was probably not only done to flip off the Chinese and the Russians, two countries which i do not know if they too have a representation up there as well, as i recall the Chinese have tried to talk to locals and sweet talk their way in.
Russia will probably try and bully their way into the arctic, even if that they knew of the arctic early on at least, was thanks to a Dane, as really back then the Russians had no interest in the most remote places of their own country.
Hence why there is a place called The Bering strait https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitus_Bering

I also recall the strait between Iceland and Greenland is called Denmark strait, and quite a few English mariners found their end there when HMS Hood and HMS Prince of Wales took on the mighty Bismark of the German navy.
I have sailed the area in comfort of a modern steel ship, and not least in the big storm i encountered, i got a lot more respect of my viking forgathers which almost rowed past here on the way to America in puny little open wooden ships,,,,,,, it do put ones title as mariner / sailor in perspective.

They have cast a vote for this summer in regard to the Danish outsider status in regard to what i call "the EU army",,,,, which i hope to god we will keep out off after the vote, cuz why the hell join another gang when we cant even pay our dues / pull our weight in the other gang ( NATO ) we are members off.
I fear the Danes will flip in the face of recent events out east, and so we sink even deeper in the mire that is EU. so far polls have the yes side leading a little, but with a huge undecided batch of people ( about 33% )

Don’t know whether anybody did some calculations on the actual cost of physical materials plus human energy for changing clocks back and forth every year.

I heard from Public Radio (in the US) that the second DST extension (law) was lobbied/sponsored by candy manufacturers for having DST during Halloween, more candy sales.

Don’t know whether anybody did some calculations on the actual cost of physical materials plus human energy for changing clocks back and forth every year.

I heard from Public Radio (in the US) that the second DST extension (law) was lobbied/sponsored by candy manufacturers for having DST during Halloween, more candy sales.

Forget human energy, Daylight Savings Time can kill you, apparently.

How daylight saving time poses a host of health concerns, according to a neurologist

Measurable health effects associated with the daylight saving time shift

I've always been against Daylight savings time since I knew about it as a child :)

We almost ended up going to DST in UK back 10 years ago https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jan/20/daylight-saving-bill-mps

I would prefer for the UK to stay on GMT all year round, as DST in the winter means some parts of the UK won't see daylight till 9am (which is just weird IMO).

I have been trying to have all my clocks either radio controlled or syncing to an internet time server, but I was scuppered when I realised my microwave clock needs changing manually (and my clock in the car )

Same here, DST means kids stay out screaming till 22:00 in summer.

GMT all year is my preferred option.

There are people that live in places where in the winter they dont see the sun at all for several months, at best for them just a faint light in the horizon.
And they do just fine.
I live across the street from a school playground so summer break are my good time of the year, and only screaming young people, though adults also often join in, are the weekend evening drunkards staggering towards downtown, letting all know how loaded and ready they are. :rolleyes:

I cant recall that when i was young and on that stuff too we was that loud, granted some times on the local playground we did have a fire at night to sit around, but the complaint was most often the ghetto blaster and not so much the 20 - 25 drunk idiots.
And when police showed up now and then, we was told to turn down the ghetto blaster, and maybe make the fire a little smaller as some times that got a little out of hand, and most often the cops left,,,,, with 2 cold beers courtesy of us drunk punks.
Actually some times the beer the cops left with was stolen too.

Do the same today, and if not that would infuriate the local immigrant gang / gangsters, then police would come, like 4 - 6 guys in 3 cars with their batons drawn,,,,, and worst of all, aside for the immigrants and the near ghetto status of the neighborhood, things are more relaxed today then when i was young.
The local street where the playground was addressed to once being named "the street of fear" in the local newspaper ( front page ) after some drunk idiot slapped a cop around ( this was a few years before my generation took over ) And it was not like the cop got his teeth kicked in by 4 people and his head used for a exercise ball like it seem to be the norm today.

My another point is that daylight saving time itself defeats the whole purpose of having time zones. If it is fine to change time one hour, why not to change time two hours. How about to combine two time zones together.

My another point is that daylight saving time itself defeats the whole purpose of having time zones. If it is fine to change time one hour, why not to change time two hours. How about to combine two time zones together.
Evidently that is what they have done in China.. One time zone across some 2000 miles.

Evidently that is what they have done in China.. One time zone across some 2000 miles.
So why not join the whole world together in one single timezone?

Dark at 13:00 and bright sunlight at 23:00 :)

Dark at 13:00 and bright sunlight at 23:00 :)
No worse than hot at Christmas and cold in "summer", people on the other side of the world in the other direction cope with that!

I like to experience Australian Christmas, like that more than a northern Norway Christmas.

Ideally i would like to have 2-3 houses around the world, and just follow the sun all year.
Nothing big or fancy, its just me a old bloke and even if i was richer i dont think i would have a house keeper.

A white Xmas used to be seasonal. Climate change has changed all that, not seen snow at Xmas for decades.

I don't think I have ever experienced a Christmas that is not white since I have been in the USA for the past 26 years. Even if it does not snow on that day, there is always something white on the ground from the previous days.
Not sure how Australians cope with that.

How do kids in Australia grow up without Santa Clause, Father Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer?

I cant even remember a white Christmas,,,,, that is a December 24 where there have been snow on the ground,,,,, ( Edit ) I do remember a December 24 where it snowed early in the day, but this must have been around 1975 or so, and it stopped before evening.
And Denmark is like central Canada north on the globe ( 55 deg latitude as i recall ), but our issue is that we are "right" in the cross hairs of the Gulf stream, only the British isles to somewhat deflect it, and to a large degree we are surrounded by water.
And it is not water that like the big lakes in the US can cause massive snow storms to kick up.
But the winters where we did get like 3-4 feet of snow during the winter, well they are long gone, this winter where i live we got a total of 3 inches, which was gone again in hours.

Come to think of it, :unsure: i do remember a new years evening in the early 90ties where there was snow on the ground,,,,, it might also have been there on X-mas.

I think Aussie kids get all the same X-mas stuff, but down there Santa is probably wearing Bermuda shorts and flip flops., i would assume it is sort of the same for kids living in Florida, which to my knowledge is a state that dont really see snow.

Personally i do associate X-mas with snow, but only due to the idyllic picture history and music videos and commercials paint, other than that for me in my young days it was associated with even harder drinking and partying, that later turned more towards the extra good food that tend to get served in December.
I was also on board with the peace to mankind ASO, but that ship sailed a long time ago,,,, even before i stopped numbing my brain with weed.

So why not join the whole world together in one single timezone?
Kinda what we have now.. all computers, satellites run on one time zone but add local offsets.

So ? Mexico are changing to Vatican time ( GMT +1 ) :)

3 minute read November 5, 2022 3:42 PM EDT Last Updated 20 hours ago

U.S. Congress split on making daylight-saving time permanent​

Back