Using G1W as remote wireless camera, game cam, or even Macro

"A new Mobius cam was literally just introduced today that may even be worth exploring. "

Model, and best place to buy?
Card is ready :)

998 available / 2 sold

One of those is ME :)

I would have recommended that you start out with the original Mobius 1 which currently offers more refined control in the firmware GUI, but you can order one of those too and other lenses and accessories once you catch the Mobius bug. It's too late for you now, there's no going back!! :smuggrin:

:)
Nice lens.
I've got a closet full of various lenses and adapters from 6X7, 35mm, C to keep me busy :)

For range use (450, 600, 1000yds) to see holes in splatter targets I need at least 2000mm effective focal length, maybe up to 5000mm :)

:)
Nice lens.
I've got a closet full of various lenses and adapters from 6X7, 35mm, C to keep me busy :)

For range use (450, 600, 1000yds) to see holes in splatter targets I need at least 2000mm effective focal length, maybe up to 5000mm :)

Obviously, you need to keep a spotting scope camera totally stable at those focal lengths but with a Mobius that weighs practically nothing keeping a big lens stable on an appropriate tripod should be quite doable. The new Mobius with enhanced resolution may be quite good for this. I think you'll be quite amazed at how far things have come along since the G1W, especially with the software available to the Mobius such as sharpening, contrast, color balance, etc., etc.

Just checked, it hasn't been mailed yet :(

I'll admit the G1W isn't much, but for the dollars, it's a camera, recorder, and a little monitor, all for $50.

Crazy-Long-Lens.jpg

Just checked, it hasn't been mailed yet :(

I'll admit the G1W isn't much, but for the dollars, it's a camera, recorder, and a little monitor, all for $50.

View attachment 38389

OMG!, now that's a lens contraption! Wonder what sort of optical aberation monsters are lurking in there? Cool nonetheless....:geek:

I've owned several variants of the G1W going back to the original GT300W and DOD LS300...great cameras in their day. The G1W and G1W-H were great lower build quality (and lower cost) versions of those cams which I've really enjoyed using and customizing but they are now somewhat obsolete! My G1W-H eventually self destructed of it's own accord.

Went out and tried a night shot but couldn't hold it :)
My FZ70 is hard to beat for the $'s.
I'm looking at the FZ80, waiting for a sale.

Attachments

• FZ70-Handheld.jpg
    FZ70-Handheld.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 10
My Maxi has made it to the U.S.
Expected Thursday :)

@Rocketvapor
When you get a chance could you post a pic of how you did the 18650 mounting? Is the converted cam a battery or cap model? And are you powering through the USB port or did you wire it internally where the battery was?

I was given to understand that a LiIon cell didn't have enough voltage available to run a dashcam but now you've shown me otherwise so it's time for me to play with this idea too.

Phil

A single 4.2 volt (at full charge) will not reliably power a 5 volt USB camera.
The internal battery died on my G1W. I wired directly to the contact pads on the circuit board where the 4.2 volt LiPo battery WAS and brought the wires out.
I epoxied a LED flashlight housing (the cheap $1 ones) to the bottom edge of the case and put in a positive contact for the 18650.
I can still run/charge with the 5 volt connector or run for a few hours off the 18650.

@Rocketvapor
When you get a chance could you post a pic of how you did the 18650 mounting? Is the converted cam a battery or cap model? And are you powering through the USB port or did you wire it internally where the battery was?

I was given to understand that a LiIon cell didn't have enough voltage available to run a dashcam but now you've shown me otherwise so it's time for me to play with this idea too.

Phil
You can use one of these: https://www.pololu.com/product/2868
It will turn whatever battery voltage you have into 5 volts and importantly has a low voltage cutoff that you can set to 3.4 volts to protect the battery.

Thanks for the answers :)

Phil

You can apply 5 volts to the outside power connector or wire a single cell Li-Ion to the internal connections.
You can use a protected cell or add the protection circuit from just about any single cell Li-Ion pack, like from an old cell phone battery, or the bottom protection board of a protected 18650 cell to provide overcharge/discharge protection. I wouldn't apply over 4.2 volts to the inside connections.
The G1W seems to have a built-in cutoff at full charge and discharge but a redundant protection circuit is double protection.

A couple of years ago I posted a thread about the tiny two AA power banks I found at the local Dollar Tree store. With a couple of Eneloop NiMhs these things are a great way to power a dash cam for about two hours.

Back