Using the Thinkware OBD power cable

tmanch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just finished installing the Q1000 2ch on my '23 Audi S5 and powering the camera is the Thinkware OBD cable. I selected 12.1v and 3 hr for parking mode. So my car is parked in the garage overnight, I get a notification on the TW Connected app saying my car is in "Driving Status" and about 30 secs later, it goes to "Parking Status." Car is in the garage and no one is in the car. If you notice that the TW OBD cable has a total of 8 pins in the port. 2 of those pins, #6 and #14 are connected to the vehicle's Canbus. So something activated in the car causing a signal to the Canbus system so it fooled the camera that it was being started. So using the TW Connected App, I manually turned the camera OFF. Status on the app said camera is OFF. A few hours later I get another notification that it went into Driving Status and then to Parking Status. I sent an email to TW support and asked what is going on. I sent an email to the seller who operates and installs dashcams. The seller said he has noticed on some of his Audi installs, that the camera does power up without anyone starting the car . TW support says they only have wires to to #9 or #16 and #4 or #5 and cannot figure out why this is happening. After more research I found rcg530 tested the TW OBD cable which he posted 2 Youtube videos. Those videos were enlightening. He proved that just opening a door on his own vehicle turned on his TW U3000 camera. So I did the same. My camera was Turned OFF. So I open the drivers door and then I hear "Please have a safe drive." So the door opening turned on the camera. For me, I do not like this side effect of this power cable turning on the camera when I want it OFF. It is unnecessarily draining the battery in my garage. Has anyone else experienced this?

My theory of why my car is doing something while it is off is the Audi Connect feature that you get for a 6 month trial. It is updating to "the cloud" if my car is locked, how much gas is in it, needed maintenance, locked or unlocked, etc.

My solution that I want to try out is getting the Iroad OBD power cable. This cable only has pins at position #4 (ground) and #16 (constant power). There is no connection to the Canbus system. Im reading that this cable is compatible with TW cams. If this doesn't work then I will just hardwire it.

Back