V1.3 beta firmware for A229Pro/Plus

Hope VIOFO can fix it with a firmware.

I've been waiting for this since the release of A229 Plus.
The A229 Pro is doing much better at the moment.
I thought the sensor difference was the main concern.

In the past weeks, we have done lots of night recording optimization on A229 Plus, Pro, but didn't get better results, so we haven't updated the IQ on the V1.3 yet.

I thought the sensor difference was the main concern.

In the past weeks, we have done lots of night recording optimization on A229 Plus, Pro, but didn't get better results, so we haven't updated the IQ on the V1.3 yet.
Any idea why people have been seeing such differences between the A119 Mini 2 and the A229 Plus when it comes to HDR capturing plates at night? No sensor difference there.

Any idea why people have been seeing such differences between the A119 Mini 2 and the A229 Plus when it comes to HDR capturing plates at night? No sensor difference there.
Firmware optimisation? I'm no expert but maybe something to do with the SDK and the processors on both the models? Duno, just throwing ideas out there

You'd think they'd be exactly the same but obviously something isn't..

I also tested the Vantrue N4 Pro. At speeds of up to 60 km/h, he read the license plates of oncoming cars at night.
Viofo A229 Plus does not read license plates of oncoming cars at night at any speed.
I have to disagree on that in several points.
While I do although have the feeling that there is a tendency to overexposure in the A229 Plus, here are a few sample footages from the Vantrue N4 Pro vs. Viofo A229 Plus vs. Vantrue S1 Pro
35kph.png

In my opinion A229 Pro can work up to 80kph
N4 Pro often up to 70-75kph
And A229 Plus and S1 Pro are most of the time slightly behind and at night very similar.

A229 Plus you never get license plates at 80km/h. The N4 Pro can do it sometimes.
In my tests the A229 Plus is similar with the Vantrue S1 Pro and also Viofo A139 Pro at night-time.

I have to disagree on that in several points.
Welcome to DashcamTalk :cool:

Different headlamps seem to make a big difference.

Different positioning of the cameras seems to make a significant difference, Lower works better for car plates, higher tends to work better for truck plates, due the the angle your headlamp light reflects off the plates.

The plates are easier to read at greater distance, so 4K cameras have an advantage, and narrower FoV cameras have an advantage.

Adding a CPL may make a difference, as may camera angle, due to change of exposure settings.

So a fair comparison is not easy!

It does appear from general comments that the Mini 2 is doing well, and the A229 Plus not so well though. Maybe the Mini 2 has more processing power available, since it is only 1 channel.

I don't think its because of the headlamps or camera positioning because the differences are not only at night.
At daytime especially in low-light-situations the Mini2 is extremly good as well doing a lot better than the A229 Plus.

Maybe the Mini 2 has more processing power available, since it is only 1 channel.

If comparing license-plate capturing, in my opinion there is no difference between using 1-/2-/ or 3-channel. At least for the firmware I tested with.

Even for the A229 Pro there is no difference despite the lower bitrate in 3-channel-recording.
I compared it with having the same camera-model 3 times next to each other in the windshield in different configurations.

You can see the effects of the lower bitrates (3ch-A229 Pro) for example on trees, grass and other detailed thinks next to the road having similar colors very clear.
But for licence plates with high contrasts till now I never noticed differences for 1-/2- or 3-channel recording.

I compared it with having the same camera-model 3 times next to each other in the windshield in different configurations.
At night, having the cameras next to each other, does change the angle of light reflected off plates. It is possible that this can significantly affect the result if you are comparing frames from different cameras side by side. Sometimes it is good to swap them around just to check. In daylight there is no issue, it is only for reflected headlamp light that there is an issue, I think mainly because the retro-reflective film on the plates only works best over 5° angle, and it is supposed to reflect the light back to your headlamps, not to the top of the windscreen, so it is quite easy to go off the side of the reflected light between the cameras, or into the full beam and get overexposed.

But for licence plates with high contrasts till now I never noticed differences for 1-/2- or 3-channel recording.
On the A139 Pro in 3 channel mode, the license plate detail does reduce in good daylight. The A139 has a bigger reduction in bitrate than the A229 Pro/Plus though, it is in the low 30s Mb/s. The A229 Pro only drops to low 40s, which is enough for license plate recording.

At daytime especially in low-light-situations the Mini2 is extremely good as well doing a lot better than the A229 Plus.
Yes, everyone is agreeing.

I'm just saying that you need to be careful with the comparisons when there is no obvious reason for the difference, the real reason may be something completely unexpected.

Hi, the new firmware version for the A229Pro/Plus is coming finally. :D
Let's test to find new features added to it.

The links where you can download the firmware file are below:
A229Pro front (V1.3_240516): https://we.tl/t-n7JA1YUEdl
A229Plus front (V1.3_240516): https://we.tl/t-3xTFxb6vZP
Rear camera (V1.3_240514): https://we.tl/t-NBs7vHurxx

The Android APP also can be installed to match the new firmware from this link: https://we.tl/t-i8wX4ApSy3
For the Apple user, you may still need to wait for several days, please rest assured that it will not be a long time.

You may ask what features are added, check this blog and you will know everything: https://viofo.com/blog/firmware-updates-viofo-a229-pro-a229-plus-version-v13-beta-b119.html

Thank you for the new beta firmware. There are some good new features

Could you tell me is there going to be a EU/UK daylight savings option on top of the US daylight setting?

In the UK and other European countries, daylight saving time, also known as summer time, will begin on March 31.

Daylight saving time always starts on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November for the United States. This contrasts with the UK and European Union, where summer time begins on the last Sunday in March and ends on the last Sunday in October.

Thanks

The same goes for other parts of the world, some countries don't have DST. In generic OSes there is a database for DST events.
Maybe Viofo waits for DST to end in the States, to see if the feature works. And introduce other regions/countries after that...?

The same goes for other parts of the world, some countries don't have DST. In generic OSes there is a database for DST events.
Maybe Viofo waits for DST to end in the States, to see if the feature works. And introduce other regions/countries after that...?
That why I asked the question were Viofo going to add the option for more.

Has anyone else noticed if you take a picture from the A229 Pro it now only takes a picture of the front dash camera and not front and rear anymore? I only have front and rear.

Has anyone else noticed if you take a picture from the A229 Pro it now only takes a picture of the front dash camera and not front and rear anymore? I only have front and rear.
What kind of situation when you take the photos? We have tested many times to confirm that there are photos from three channels. You may check to confirm again via the stamps on the photo.

Let's test to find new features added to it.
Added Function Settings
1. Bluetooth Button Function Settings
The V1.3 Beta firmware adds Bluetooth Button Function settings.

Meanwhile, we have launched a new Bluetooth remote control, BTR200. It seamlessly integrates with the added Bluetooth Button Function. The BTR200 features two customizable buttons, Mic Button and Action Button, which can be customized to control different functions of the dashcam. The customization can be set in the Bluetooth Button Function settings.
Will new Bluetooth button function settings be added to all Viofo models?
I would like to use the functions of the Bluetooth button on several Viofo models installed in one car at the same time.

I'm looking through some recent A229 Pro 3CH footage and the rear cam footage is very stuttery with lots of dropped frames.

Video stats still report 30fps, but playback is closer to 10fps. The front and interior cams play back just fine at 30fps.

I'm looking through some recent A229 Pro 3CH footage and the rear cam footage is very stuttery with lots of dropped frames.

Video stats still report 30fps, but playback is closer to 10fps. The front and interior cams play back just fine at 30fps.
I don't have any 3-channel rear camera footage with the 1.3 beta firmware, but my 2-channel rear camera footage looks "good". No dropped/duplicated frames.

Is that only in your editor/after you have edited it? Or do the original files also stutter?

I don't have any 3-channel rear camera footage with the 1.3 beta firmware, but my 2-channel rear camera footage looks "good". No dropped/duplicated frames.
Ever since my (2) telephoto cameras showed up 12 days ago I’ve been testing the new V1.3 Beta firmware in the front & rear cameras of both of my A229 Pro’s;

But like Robert said I have only been using them in 2-CH “rear” configuration, (not 3-CH).
I would have noticed your issue because I’m going over the “rear” / telephoto footage very carefully.

Back