V1.3 beta firmware for A229Pro/Plus

This will be optimized, we suggest updating the front and rear cam first and then resetting the camera to default settings.
Also, we may change the parking recording resolution from 2K to 4k.

Again, in order to avoid customer service headaches, customers should be able to update both cameras together without issue
Correct.
we suggest updating the front and rear cam first and then resetting the camera to default settings.
Correct.
Resetting to default settings after firmware update seems to ALWAYS to flush out bad juju.
Maybe this can be added to the user manual?
we may change the parking recording resolution from 2K to 4k.
Oh my gosh, I hope it does not increase heat signature too much.

This will be optimized, we suggest updating the front and rear cam first and then resetting the camera to default settings.
Seen my video?

Again, in order to avoid customer service headaches, customers should be able to update both cameras together without issue. Simply copy both the front and rear files to the card and both cameras should update no matter what, especially considering that updating the front and not the rear will cause problems. I'm sure many people will run into the same issue I did. For that reason, I think that the dashcam should update front and rear cams before giving the user the prompt to format the card in the first place. Perhaps that isn't possible given the current public firmwares, but hopefully that functionality can be added to newer firmwares moving forward.
I agree it should be all 1 update. The update front camera. Format then add update for rear is a bad experience for customers.

Again, in order to avoid customer service headaches, customers should be able to update both cameras together without issue. Simply copy both the front and rear files to the card and both cameras should update no matter what, especially considering that updating the front and not the rear will cause problems. I'm sure many people will run into the same issue I did. For that reason, I think that the dashcam should update front and rear cams before giving the user the prompt to format the card in the first place. Perhaps that isn't possible given the current public firmwares, but hopefully that functionality can be added to newer firmwares moving forward.
Viofo has several models where you need to update the front and rear cameras: A129 Plus, T130 and A229.
And there have been no user complaints about problems with the update.
Perhaps because the update instructions say to update the cameras separately....
Plus, firmware is not often released for the front and rear cameras at the same time and there is no need to update two cameras at the same time...

Sony 4K sensor doesn't support 2K native output, so downgrading to 2K doesn't help reduce power consumption.
Just copy whatever Vueroid did for low power parking mode. lol

Any idea why people have been seeing such differences between the A119 Mini 2 and the A229 Plus when it comes to HDR capturing plates at night? No sensor difference there.
Today while testing the telelens (and comparing telelens vs. Mainunit A229Pro and Mainunit A229 Plus) I noticed another thing. Didn't tested at night till now.
But that the quality-gap between A229 Plus and Pro closed a lot at daytime with the current beta-firmware.
Since I don't expect that they made the A229 Pro-Firmware worse it should be because of improvement of the A229 Plus-Firmware.
I just switched back to the old firmware to confirm that.

With the old firmware from december the license plate numbers had a tendency to look squashed resulting in a loss of readability.
Thats a lot better now! But I didn't tested at night till now.

Since I didn't tested the firmware from 27.2 in my test-rounds (did a lot of testing december/january and first half of february) I can't tell if this was already fixed with that firmware! Maybe that was already the case, then my info is irrelevant. :D
But that's a positive sign.

(I didn't double checked it with the mini2 or using two A229 Plus simultaniusly with different firmware)

Today while testing the telelens (and comparing telelens vs. Mainunit A229Pro and Mainunit A229 Plus) I noticed another thing. Didn't tested at night till now.
But that the quality-gap between A229 Plus and Pro closed a lot at daytime with the current beta-firmware.
Since I don't expect that they made the A229 Pro-Firmware worse it should be because of improvement of the A229 Plus-Firmware.
I just switched back to the old firmware to confirm that.

With the old firmware from december the license plate numbers had a tendency to look squashed resulting in a loss of readability.

Since I didn't tested the firmware from 27.2 in my test-rounds (did a lot of testing december/january and first half of february) I can't tell if this was already fixed with that firmware! Maybe that was already the case, then my info is irrelevant. :D
But that's a positive sign.

(I didn't double checked it with the mini2 or using two A229 Plus simultaniusly with different firmware)
What is your A229 Plus day time configuration:
With or without HDR?
If without HDR do you run it at 30fps or 60fps?
If you have tested both fps, did you notice any advantage of 60fps vs 30fps?
Thank you.

I always use and recommend the HDR-Timer so I do my daytime-testing always without HDR (30fps)

Regarding night-time-HDR-quality. Hard to say. Mini2 should be still better.

If there are any improvements needs to be verified using the A229 twice with different firmware.
But currently I can't do it because I have 7 Dashcams in the screen for testing now and I need them all, no space and time left for further validation.
Maybe somebody else has the capacity to do.

But at least I don't understand how karagandinez doesn't get a license plate at 54kph because in 97% of the situations I do.

Just a pass-by situation at 67kph
67kph.png

Have you reset to factory settings? I noticed when changing between new firmware and back to older firmware that some settings where mixed up resulting in overexposure.

But at least I don't understand how karagandinez doesn't get a license plate at 54kph because in 97% of the situations I do.
What are you trying to say?
If the A229 Plus had the same readability of numbers at night as the A229 Pro, then you would see a lot of screenshots and videos here. But for some reason no one posts anything. Probably nothing to show.

Here is a video of A229 Pro. During the shooting of this video, the A229 Pro was in the same place where the video was shot by the A229 Plus from which these screenshots were taken.

At the moment, Viofo is working on firmware with which the A229 Plus reads numbers at night much better.
I don't have the right to show the results yet.

Here is the beta firmware mod

Does your mod exhibit any colour shifts (particularly in the blues of the sky) which the current firmware does (for me)?

Paul.

I think providing the option for 4K parking mode is a good idea. I also noticed with this beta firmware that enabling mirroring of the rear camera produces the expected result (mirrored video) in saved files but the display still shows the original preview which is not mirrored.

I think providing the option for 4K parking mode is a good idea. I also noticed with this beta firmware that enabling mirroring of the rear camera produces the expected result (mirrored video) in saved files but the display still shows the original preview which is not mirrored.
I have checked this further and discovered the rotated or mirrored video options will take effect but requires power cycling the dashcam. Previous firmware builds did not require a power cycle to have the preview reflect the adjustments.

I also think an option to enable HEVC/H.265 recording should be added. HEVC support is widespread in computers now.

Back