V1.3 beta firmware for A229Pro/Plus

Hi ,no I meant back to the previous front and rear 207/227, already reset it, might try again.

@Demo he has the same experience.
Wanna say only one thing - @Demo stated about rear cam
I tried the 1.3 beta firmware, noticed the video quality of the rear was poor.
You are stated about front cam.
Interesting that exactly worse at V1.3_240612 than at V1.3_240516 or V1.2_20240227? Do you have some comparison images?

Hii went from 227 to the official 1.3, I looked at some recordings and now if I freeze the rear I can read plates, file sizes are smaller still on rear.
The front is not as sharp, hard to describe really, before it was great, nice and sharp when viewing video. I've reset it again, it may be the same and I might be going blind lol, but hey ho as long as the plates are readable, I was thinking of swapping out the front for a pro version next year, unless I can re flash with the 1.3 again?.

Hii went from 227 to the official 1.3, I looked at some recordings and now if I freeze the rear I can read plates, file sizes are smaller still on rear.
The front is not as sharp, hard to describe really, before it was great, nice and sharp when viewing video. I've reset it again, it may be the same and I might be going blind lol, but hey ho as long as the plates are readable, I was thinking of swapping out the front for a pro version next year, unless I can re flash with the 1.3 again?.
As far as I remember, you use Viofo A229 Plus, but not everyone here knows about it.
We are in the A229 Pro topic and people think that you are writing about A229 Pro.

Oh bugger, apologies I thought the thread title was A229Pro/Plus, anyway yes it's a plus version, I re flashed the firmware today then the unit kept asking for a SD format, 7 times later I thought it's buggered.
Nothing would work in the unit itself even though I could see the camera was working so I started pressing any combinations of buttons and it cleared the screen, allowed me to get WiFi on and re format the card.
Will look a recordings over the next few days.

Oh bugger, apologies I thought the thread title was A229Pro/Plus, anyway yes it's a plus version, I re flashed the firmware today then the unit kept asking for a SD format, 7 times later I thought it's buggered.
Nothing would work in the unit itself even though I could see the camera was working so I started pressing any combinations of buttons and it cleared the screen, allowed me to get WiFi on and re format the card.
Will look a recordings over the next few days.
You should do a "Reset to Default" settings after a firmware update, maybe not doing so is causing some of your issues.

that the topic title was A229Pro/Plus
So it is like that, and the latest firmware gives a blur compared to the previous one, look at the signs!!

Attachments

• Знак.jpg
    Знак.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Знак_0.jpg
    Знак_0.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 31
It had a slight fuzzy look, I've not checked again yet, cleaned lenses with alcohol wipes and my glasses cloth so they are spotless and the glass on car has been cleaned.

Crazy not having H265 support
I would easily pay $10 USD more for H.265 support as long as the bitrate stays equivalent of the H.264 given bitrates in the settings. I can easily tell that the lens has more to give than the encoding is capable of. A backroad with trees, panning, and sunlight at times will have easily discernible macroblocking. It is visible without zooming in. I have a feeling it would be too hot for the unit in hot climates by using .h265 (if using three cameras) but that would not be as much of an issue depending where you live and airflow. The quality of the encoding is by no means poor, I am typically a perfectionist with things, while knowing this will never be perfect and lenses and so forth, will improve as well as the codecs being used. When a tree or something highly detailed is in the view, they tend to suck the bitrate up pretty hard to maintain clarity and try to be accurate with sharpness, H.265 is far superior for this, as long as the encoder is optimised for that, though there will be give in take in all scenarios depending on that tuning. It could be heat related due to how intensive the tuning is configured, or a change in filesize, or changes in still/moving objects etc, keyframes being visible and so on. It isn't really a thing that has perfection in it but give and take, akin to physics. Without a doubt if it could be implemented and not overheat and keep the bitrate, it should, be a better image. There are moments that look like more keyframes "could" help the overall video moreso when more motion is going on. People comparing different bitrates between codecs expecting the same result are not apples to apples comparison. For me, I would greatly appreciate a higher bitrate option regardless of power draw for parking mode (could put a disclaimer), (the mode with video and audio at the same time). It is lower than I would like, and I never run my batteries dead, replace them at any remote sign of winter starting struggles, as well as monitor the voltage of them while driving to see what is going on. The hardwire kit has a cutoff option anyways. I don't know if the 12v cig adapter has a cutoff or not, for the vehicles that have constant power to them even with the vehicle off. I also really could benefit from rear camera light metering options due to my louvers, as it really confusing the resulting shutter speed far hampering the resulting video quality and movement tracking is poor due to that, high blur, not enough light going in due to the non optimal shutter speed being used.

Last edited:
I also really could benefit from rear camera light metering options due to my louvers, as it really confusing the resulting shutter speed far hampering the resulting video quality and movement tracking is poor due to that, high blur, not enough light going in due to the non optimal shutter speed being used.
Regarding your blinds:
Have you thought about purchasing the RWC200 waterproof rear camera for your A229 Pro?
I have a very dark tint on my rear window and I'm thinking about the RWC200...

Regarding your blinds:
Have you thought about purchasing the RWC200 waterproof rear camera for your A229 Pro?
I did consider it and thank you for sharing. My car, my scenario, lol unfortunately has tons of air flow that must circle back up onto the back of my car (13' Subaru Impreza.) I installed a backup camera but it is constantly covered in rain and dust/mud water splotches even within 7 minutes of driving, having it unusable. My rear bumper is the first thing to get visibly dirty on my car. It wouldn't be very useable with my car model unless it can automatically wipe itself clean, as oleophobic coating wouldn't be enough. The rear window stays very clean for a super long time due to the louvers, so a camera is less obstructed up there when it comes to the lens being clean. The light metering method being employed for the task is giving a calculation that unfortunately doesn't net me the best result in my specific use case scenario. It is doing what it is programmed to do, regardless of if it is correct for my use or not lol.

I've thought about a waterproof camera for a long time to install on my pickup truck but the only way to do it properly would be to drill a hole somewhere in my cab and I am reluctant to do that.
What do you have in mind for your installation if you go with a waterproof exterior camera?

What do you have in mind for your installation if you go with a waterproof exterior camera?
If I decide to install a waterproof rear camera, then I will install it under the spoiler above the rear window.
There, the least amount of dirt will fall on it in rainy weather.
I don't want to drill anything. I was thinking about gluing the camera.

I've thought about a waterproof camera for a long time to install on my pickup truck but the only way to do it properly would be to drill a hole somewhere in my cab and I am reluctant to do that.
Some vehicles, maybe all that have airbags?? tend to have a hole for when airbags go off otherwise the cabin would compress air. There may actually be a hole under your seat/carpet that you may not know about? I would not necessarily want to just run a cable through that, but maybe make it a bit bigger and add some paint to protect it or some sort of seal to the metal. Knowing the year and stuff might actually net some decent ideas hard to say. Feel free to PM me if you want to brainstorm, this stuff is fun to me, up to you :). Drilling may or may not be necessary depending what you have for a vehicle. You may have ascertained already that it is required though for a cable run in your scenario, dunno. ;).

If I decide to install a waterproof rear camera, then I will install it under the spoiler above the rear window.
There, the least amount of dirt will fall on it in rainy weather.
I don't want to drill anything. I was thinking about gluing the camera.

OK, I get gluing the camera but how do you run tha cable to it? That's the conundrum.

OK, I get gluing the camera but how do you run tha cable to it? That's the conundrum.
Very dependant on the model of vehicle and your use case. If you go offroading you probably don't want to run a cable under the bed anywhere, and there is usually trim that can come off (plastic) that can run a cable underneath it, to get to the back of the cab, then after that it will depend on the vehicle, maybe between the fender/side of the bed to the back and have it come out somewhere, that may or may not be a hole, but also how to get it to your desired location will change on the vehicle it's on as well :). If you are able to mount it above the cab and not be obstructed by exterior tools/cargo/canopy etc, then that could give you some options as well. My car has a spot to drill or install a backup cam, that it isn't an issue or a visible worry, and easy as heck to install, though the pickup truck could be completely flat on the back gate or licenseplate location.

I have a Skoda Kodiaq. If I install a camera, the cable will come out between the roof and the trunk door.
There are enough rubber seals where you can stretch the cable without harm to the car.

Back