Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro improvement wish list

Karagandinez

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue
I would like to see the following implemented in future firmware:
1. Make the bitrate in 2K the same as in 4K.
2. Make it possible to turn HDR on and off at a time set by the user.
3. Make it possible to turn on Wi-Fi in parking mode.
4. In the parking mode "Low Bitrate Recording", make the recording permanent from the ignition off to the ignition on, so that there is no loss of time in the recording.

I'm not asking for anything supernatural. As far as I know, all this can be implemented programmatically.

I think the interior camera has an IR cut filter - if so that suggests a light sensor somewhere.

Maybe that sensor could also be used to trigger HDR off and on depending on current lighting conditions. Saying that I don't know if flipping HDR off and on would cause the video to restart while sensor parameters are updated - if so that could result in dropped footage.

Alternatively as these run standard Linux type environments maybe an app could be used to calculate sunrise / sunset and then flip dynamically each day (maybe with an offset) depending on local time and selected timezone (although there's then the risk that could go wrong!) I have similar for my CCTV cameras and have an app that just flicks them into night / day mode automatically depending on time.

Playing devils advocate but WiFi on in parking mode could mean someone could detect and connect with standard password (not many people change from defaults) and possibly wipe footage, format the card etc.

From a security point of view people might not like it but having them change the default WiFi password at first system bootup isn't the worst idea.

I think the interior camera has an IR cut filter - if so that suggests a light sensor somewhere.

Maybe that sensor could also be used to trigger HDR off and on depending on current lighting conditions. Saying that I don't know if flipping HDR off and on would cause the video to restart - if so that could result in dropped footage.
In this scenario, there will be many false HDR inclusions. :unsure:

In this scenario, there will be many false HDR inclusions. :unsure:
There would, but unfortunately no perfect solution to turning if off and on etc.

If the sensor is exposed to the OS level then you could wait say 30 seconds from light going below a certain level to turning on HDR which would stop it flipping in tunnels etc.

The big thing is if it would need to restart video each time in which case it's a no go straight away as you don't want more missing footage no matter what really.

In my opinion, it is not difficult to change the time to turn on and off the HDR once a month... :unsure:

Reactions: gse
In my opinion, it is not difficult to change the time to turn on and off the HDR once a month... :unsure:
For you and other power users yes, but many users would forget as they just want it installed and then they never check it again after that - also why a lot of people don't realise there's a problem until after an accident.

It's worth having the manual setting like the Viofo has, but some users just need it to be a bit more automatic.

There are lots of small code samples showing how to calculate sunrise & sunset if you have the GPS co-ordinates so in theory something that can be done along with the manual switch times.

Unfortunately there is no perfect solution for all users in all locations.

Last edited:
I wonder if changing the HDR mode will be another case of losing some seconds of recording?

I would like to see the following implemented in future firmware:
1. Make the bitrate in 2K the same as in 4K.
2. Make it possible to turn HDR on and off at a time set by the user.
3. Make it possible to turn on Wi-Fi in parking mode.
4. In the parking mode "Low Bitrate Recording", make the recording permanent from the ignition off to the ignition on, so that there is no loss of time in the recording.

I'm not asking for anything supernatural. As far as I know, all this can be implemented programmatically.
5. Make it possible to delay Collision Detection parking mode by a user set time, so full detail continuous recording takes place for a while, after which the camera consumes minimal power. This will protect the service life of the car battery (without discharging it frequently to the hardwire kit cutoff voltage) yet avoid any chance of missed recordings during shorter parking periods.

Last edited:
I would like to see low bitrate parking guard, not low bitrate and low FPS combined as it is now, proper 30 FPS but low bitrate.
Also on the N5 in parking guard, do we really need the rear interior camera ?

Also the low voltage cut off in Vantrue hard wire kits have me a bit worried, i would like to see higher cut off values like the 12.2 Volts i generally use.

Back