Vantrue Nexus 5 samples/impressions

Dadi_T

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Vantrue E1, Viofo T130 3-channel, Vantrue E2, Viofo A119S.
Hello!
I also have received a Nexus 5 dashcam from Vantrue. Thanks, @Jeff_Vantrue !

There are a few unboxing images allready so i won't waste our time with another. It is some heavy piece of equipment and very good build quality. Also better form factor than the other two Vantrue dashcams that i have, Element 2 an Element 1.
Starvis 2(IMX675) it is definitely an improvement also, but i will talk about this in other posts.
I use an Samsung Evo Plus U3 A2 V30 blue 512 Gb memory card and it is working good for now.

1440p/3x1080p/WDR Off(front camera)/HDR On(back camera)/IR Leds-Auto
Day samples:

Front/exterior:
Front/interior:
Back/exterior:
Back/interior:

1440p/3x1080p/WDR Off(front camera)/HDR On(back camera)/IR Leds-Auto
Night samples:

Front/exterior:
Front/interior:
Back/exterior:
Back/interior:

Last edited:
So far, my unit it's working very good, despite of almost one month of a serious summer, with numerous days with outside temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius. Well, except for that side plastic cap wich fell from the magnetic ring.

For parking mode i use a Viofo HK4 kit and it's working very good with low bitrate mode. That "super night vision" in parking mode it's not just marketing.
Parking mode night snapshot
vlcsnap-parking mode-super night vision.png
Normal recording snapshot
vlcsnap-normal recording.png
vlcsnap-parking mode-super night vision.pngvlcsnap-normal recording.png

As you can see, there is some big difference.

But the unit it's very power hungry so i think there should be some separate settings for parking mode to extend the surveilance time. For example, if the camera it's working in 4 channel in normal recording mode, i want for parking mode 2 channel, like front exterior+front interior or front exterior+rear exterior. Something like that. It is not an cheap dashcam so it must have aditional settings.

Something like that: parking mode settings
GPS: On/Off
Channel setup: All channel/ Front exterior+Front interior/Front exterior+back exterior.
IR leds: On/Off
LCD: On/Off.

You guys should stop ´Bogadring summer down there, Summer in Denmark this year was May and June, July was record wet and not at all warm and August look to follow that trend of July.

Night footage look very noisy

I want to talk about some night footage. First of all, of course, we have a Starvis 2 dashcam and no HDR so no license plates in night time footage. Wich is quite disapointing for an expensive dashcam with a new generation sensor. Vantrue team should work on this and work hard.

Also i want to show you some strange behaviour and maybe some more experienced and technical users ( @Dashmellow, @TonyM, @Nigel, @Mtz, just some quick names in my mind. I'm sure there are others) can explain this: wipers HDR or HDR wipers :ROFLMAO:
I have footage from a rainy night so no license plates reading, until the windshield wipers are on short specific position. What's up with that??!!

Please check this sample and look for the front car number plate:

With the help of the wipers i have managed to read a license plate at about 50 km/h also:
vlcsnap-2023-07-08-15h42m12s352.png

Last edited:
You guys should stop ´Bogadring summer down there, Summer in Denmark this year was May and June, July was record wet and not at all warm and August look to follow that trend of July.

Night footage look very noisy
Well, it's been a long time since we didn't have a real summer. Not the end of the world despite the msm media...
It's quite dark in that parking lot. A lot darker in reality.

Some crazy stuff happened with my N5.
500 Gb of recordings just disappeared and I don't have a clue on how it was possible.

This evening I went to the car to review some footage and an incident that my wife had earlier.
Now, the cam it is no longer hardwired(reasons for another post), so when I unlocked the car, the cam started to record just normally. I had connect my phone and beginning to look for files.
Well, the only files was with me entering in the car!
First thought: maybe the message with the format reminder appeared just when my wife had arrived to the parking lot, despite the fact that she is pretty terrible with electronics and she wouldn't do that, but hey, maybe. I have checked the setting and the "format reminder" was off.
Anyway, the memory card wasn't formated, because right away I looked to "event" folder" and some 2 weeks older files were there. And I remember those 4 files. And also the photos.
So, only normal recordings were completely erased.
What the hell happened?! Any thoughts? Maybe @Jeff_Vantrue ?

Last edited:
Ok, some driving this weekend, nothing on the memory card. The cam starts and record normally and it's shut down normally.
This morning I took my kid to school for about 20 minutes of driving. I've checked the files and there were only the last 5 minutes. Never stopped the engine.
I really can't explain what is happening. Never encountered this issue with any dashcam.

Every thing it's back to normal after formating the memory card in the cam. Maybe to much time has passed from the last format.

Some crazy stuff happened with my N5.
500 Gb of recordings just disappeared and I don't have a clue on how it was possible.

This evening I went to the car to review some footage and an incident that my wife had earlier.
Now, the cam it is no longer hardwired(reasons for another post), so when I unlocked the car, the cam started to record just normally. I had connect my phone and beginning to look for files.
Well, the only files was with me entering in the car!
First thought: maybe the message with the format reminder appeared just when my wife had arrived to the parking lot, despite the fact that she is pretty terrible with electronics and she wouldn't do that, but hey, maybe. I have checked the setting and the "format reminder" was off.
Anyway, the memory card wasn't formated, because right away I looked to "event" folder" and some 2 weeks older files were there. And I remember those 4 files. And also the photos.
So, only normal recordings were completely erased.
What the hell happened?! Any thoughts? Maybe @Jeff_Vantrue ?
Sorry for the loss of your footage :cry: We recommend formatting the SD card every 3~6 months to ensure a smooth usage of loop recording.

Yes, of course, I know that. I admit my mistake by not knowing when was the last format.
But I think the cam should have some kind of warning though, if not a message, maybe some beeping to alert that the memory card it's not working properly.
Maybe in the next firmwares, if it can be done.

Yes, of course, I know that. I admit my mistake by not knowing when was the last format.
But I think the cam should have some kind of warning though, if not a message, maybe some beeping to alert that the memory card it's not working properly.
Maybe in the next firmwares, if it can be done.
The SD card may fail to record files due to two possible reasons. One possibility is external factors, such as a poorly connected rear cable or sudden issues with the camera, which can cause the SD card to stop writing. The other possibility is a malfunction in the SD card itself, leading to the dashcam being unable to record footage or losing files.

Detecting file loss through software logic can be challenging, but we are committed to continuously improving this issue through firmware updates. If you are concerned about the risk of file loss, our recommendation is to replace the SD card with a new one.

I don’t have a DVR at hand and I can’t see exactly what the item in the menu is called... In my opinion, private mode...
If you turn it on, then there are several normal recording files left on the memory card. The remaining unlocked files on the memory card are deleted.

@Jeff_Vantrue Could it be that if you have format reminder on, but skip that when you get the prompt, that could introduce some irregularities. ??

I dont seem to have anything missing with my N5, though i have to admit when i have the card out to retrieve footage i do not look over all recordings on the card, i do look to see if drive sessions are of a reasonable length, some i make are very short just going to the shop, and that is under 1 KM in each direction.
But those i do inspect as they are unreasonable short, but always the reason of shopping is it, so nothing bad.

regarding my 2 times weekly drives to my mothers place, i know how they look.

Leave home - stop at gas station. ( 3 - 4 files depending on traffic lights )
Leave gas station stop at mothers house. ( 10 - 12 files )
Leave mothers place going 200 M to shop. ( 1 small file )
Leave shop to drive 200 M to mothers place.
Leave mothers place and drive all the way home. ( some times stop to shop when entering home town ) 12 - 13 files
Other times instead of going home from mothers place, well i do the 2 KM drive to my friends place, from there i might later drive home, or i spend the night and drive home the day after.

So quite familiar with what to expect with these drives, it is not always i playback various files from such a drive i have to admit.
But on memory card change i do playback quite a bit of files on the old card to make sure no corrupted files or start / stop drives in strange locations.

Last edited:
Back