Vehicle stops power through OBD2 Port? (Owlcam)

cannoncd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I recently switched vehicles, and have been having issues with my dashcam (Owlcam 4). When left in parking mode, it seems as if the vehicle stops power to the OBD2 port, through which the cam is wired. I have to go through a good bit of reconnection pain to get things working again. It's been frustrating to the point that I've just left it unplugged.

Former car was a 2017 Lincoln MKZ, and the new car is a 2019 Mercedes A220.

Does anyone know if this is a specific Mercedes problem, an Owlcam problem, or a Mercedes-and-Owlcam problem? I addressed the issue with my local dealership during some scheduled maintenance and they did not know of any reasons that a dashcam wouldn't work. In the meantime, I'm in the market for a new camera (posted in What Should I Buy thread).

Thanks for any info!
Chris

Lots of upper end vehicles evidently monitor battery drain and will shut off the supply as it detects what it considers unauthorized use.

That's what I've figured. Do you think the same safeguard would trigger if I were to hardwire through the fuse box instead?

If the fuse you piggyback on are a essential one ( not talking motor management or airbags here ) then i dont think it would be shut down.

Damn smarty pants cars, getting too smart this old timer thinks. :)

If the fuse you piggyback on are a essential one ( not talking motor management or airbags here ) then i dont think it would be shut down.

Damn smarty pants cars, getting too smart this old timer thinks. :)

Hah, there's definitely a point where being too smart can be a detriment! It would be nice if there were a way to disable the "feature," but I haven't been able to find anything.

Hi all,

I recently switched vehicles, and have been having issues with my dashcam (Owlcam 4). When left in parking mode, it seems as if the vehicle stops power to the OBD2 port, through which the cam is wired. I have to go through a good bit of reconnection pain to get things working again. It's been frustrating to the point that I've just left it unplugged.

Former car was a 2017 Lincoln MKZ, and the new car is a 2019 Mercedes A220.

Does anyone know if this is a specific Mercedes problem, an Owlcam problem, or a Mercedes-and-Owlcam problem? I addressed the issue with my local dealership during some scheduled maintenance and they did not know of any reasons that a dashcam wouldn't work. In the meantime, I'm in the market for a new camera (posted in What Should I Buy thread).

Thanks for any info!
Chris
Mercedes is one of the vehicles I saw listed that can shutoff power to the OBD2 port. Newer vehicles fuse boxes are software controlled and are capable of shutting down circuits, though I don't think they will unless there is overload or your vehicle battery charge is getting low, then they might shut down for protection. This is assuming you do not tap any vital circuit or any computer module.

Back