Video Has Massive Static Sound

jshay

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was checking some videos on my dash cam and I noticed that each of my videos on my drive home has chopping sound. Either the sound is there or it's replaced with long duration of static sound.

I checked my earlier footage and none of them do this. This literally just started tonight on my drive home.

Here's some footage of it:

** WARNING LOUD **

that's not normal, will ask @Pier28 (I'm assuming that's where you bought from by your location) to follow up about replacing it for you

Yup I got it via Pier28 just about 2 weeks ago.

Also thank you guys! Probably the quickest response ever to any issue I've had haha.

Hi that's a new one, sounds like an old school video game! I'll PM you now to confirm order number and shipping address for a fast replacement. Check your message inbox shortly.

@jokiin and @Pier28 : you guys are so amazing! Although I knew it before, you keep positively impress me!
You two, together with @niko are like a dream team and set the highest customer service standard for dash cam manufacturers and retailers around the world!

the reality is we will never be able to make a perfect electronic product that never has an issue, richest tech company in the world (Apple) can't do it so what hope do we have, we do everything we can to avoid problems but unfortunately sometimes things can and will go wrong, what we can do though is make sure we look after people when things go bad and make sure they get fixed ASAP, it's the least we can do really

I was going to post this privately to @jokiin but since my situation is not unique I'll do it here.

I've had the exact situation with one of my GC's a few days ago. The entire 'trip' was a bit over 15 minutes spanning 4 5-minute video segments and the 'static' was intermittent throughout all of them. I concluded my business in 3 minutes or so and all following videos were static free. As best as I can determine this is the only occurrence as I check my cameras frequently and have not seen this before or since.

Video with noise -

Three minutes later and all is OK -

I don't know if it's relevant but the same GC had momentarily 'lost' the GPS signal a few days earlier as shown in these screen captures from Registrator Viewer. This also appears to be a 'one off' incident as I've not seen it before or since.

GPS.jpg
GPS2.jpg

The GPS signal loss occurred at the exact time a new video segment was created. By that I mean the GPS data was OK in the first segment but no so in the first few seconds of the second.

I have a 2nd GC as a rear camera in the vehicle and the GPS data is OK with that one so it's not a matter of no GPS signal(s). (Also, the 'static' condition did not happen with that one either.)

I want to reiterate that both these anomalies have only happened the one time.

the reality is we will never be able to make a perfect electronic product that never has an issue, richest tech company in the world (Apple) can't do it so what hope do we have, we do everything we can to avoid problems but unfortunately sometimes things can and will go wrong, what we can do though is make sure we look after people when things go bad and make sure they get fixed ASAP, it's the least we can do really
That always makes the difference :)

That is excellent ... it is the best support we can reasonably expect.

Thanks!

I also had some occurences of weird static/distortion in the sound recorded. It comes and goes.
I didn't relate it happening to anything reproduceable. I'll check holidays footage recorded later (weeks) and post if I find something.
I also noticed when static happens, it feels like it's tied to engine rotation, so MAYBE the origin is in the car, and either the GPS, the (old) power cable or the cam is picking it up...
I understand I don't help much here, but I did got noisy sound at times, and it's neither constant nor permanent.

Unfortunately we rarely look or listen to the recordings.

I also had some occurences of weird static/distortion in the sound recorded. It comes and goes.
I didn't relate it happening to anything reproduceable. I'll check holidays footage recorded later (weeks) and post if I find something.
I also noticed when static happens, it feels like it's tied to engine rotation, so MAYBE the origin is in the car, and either the GPS, the (old) power cable or the cam is picking it up...
I understand I don't help much here, but I did got noisy sound at times, and it's neither constant nor permanent.

Unfortunately we rarely look or listen to the recordings.
Let me know if you will find some unusual behaviour. I will look after you.

if it's a rattle type sound that can be the camera shaking on the mount, if you get that we have some adhesive EVA pads that sorts that out, we can post out to you if you need them

that's white noise rather than static, it could be a firmware bug, what version are you on now?
Currently running the '0526' version.

I just checked all the videos since the reported incidents above (about 5 or 6 hours worth over 9 days) and none have any issues that I was able to find - either GPS or audio. (I didn't check every minute of video but stepped through each one doing 'spot checking'.) It only occurred during that one 16+ minute trip but was consistent. I have the segments saved if you want (both the audio and GPS anomalies).

I have not checked all the videos from my 2nd GC but will do so.

Last edited:
Back