VIOFO А119V3 FIRMWARE

One quick question, I'm guessing if I need to downgrade to the modified v2.4 version I just pop that file on the SD card and it'll downgrade to 2.4?

Fortunately, all dashcams I've had have allowed any version of firmware to be installed at will.

I'm currently going through a number of firmware versions to try and ascertain the best mix of moving video and freeze frame. Once I've fully tested 1.03 I'm intending to give vvs latest firmware a go.

Hi! What means vvs ?!? In your opinion 1.03 is the best fw ? Thanks !

VVS is the member name here who modifies firmware.

I've loaded his latest based on official firmware 205 ready for next weekend testing.

On this forum, they recommend v1.03 (2019.09.11) over all the previous firmwares

hm, interesting, the latest oficial firmware version is 2.4 (and 2.5 waiting to be released) and they still recommand a very old one, 1.03?
this means the lately firmware versions have bugs? or what is the explanation?

I do know from close examination of lots of footage that 1.03 produces better freeze frame than 2.00 but 2.00 @ 60fps is a smoother, just.

I'm just offloading some VVS based on 2.05 and I'll be comparing freeze frame and video soon.

hm, interesting, the latest oficial firmware version is 2.4 (and 2.5 waiting to be released) and they still recommand a very old one, 1.03?
this means the lately firmware versions have bugs? or what is the explanation?

The fellow in the link who recommends avoiding all the other firmware updates is referring to the low light banding issue that plagues the A119 V3, although some owners report the problem while some don't seem to experience it. The problem also seems to be worse for some users and less so for others. It was initially thought to occur only when set to 60fps in low light but others have reported the issue at 30fps as well.

banding.jpg

@viofo, said they would look into the problem on July, 20, 2020 but there was never any follow up that I am aware of.

As per another thread, I've just switched to VVS Mod 205 and initial impressions are good.

However, it was in good light. So Friday will be a good test for low light as I'll be setting off at dawn.

Another however, is that v2.00 never caused any fuzzy on my footage that I've noticed.

In the meantime, I've downgraded from the latest official Viofo FW V2.4 to V1.03.

First impressions (tested during daytime only):
  • Color saturation in 1.03 seems worse than in 2.4. For instance: orange objects appear yellowish in 1.03. In 2.4 colors are more realistic, to my taste.
  • Dynamic range in 1.03 seems worse than in 2.4 (WDR off in both versions). Driving under trees in bright sunlight, 1.03 appears slower at adjusting to fast changing light conditions than 2.4.
  • Sharpness may be better in 1.03 than in 2.4, but I'm not sure yet.
I intend to revert to 2.4, but will wait for Kremmen's experiences with VVS Mod 205.

This morning I did my Reading to Heathrow area using vvs 205.

Unfortunately it wasn't the best of light, dawn, most of the journey I had headlights on, not to see but to be seen so it's mostly quite dull. However, I've run last weeks 103 against todays vvs 205 and I think vvs just has the edge. I'm going to leave vvs installed until I can get a brighter time of day which I'm hoping is next weekend.

Here is a full 3 minute sample vvs Mod 205.MP4

As I said, bear in mind this is dawn and lighting is subdued.

Also, this clip is at 70mph / 112kph so the freeze frame is impressive, especially the overhead gantries:

>> Krem vvs Mod 205 <<

I make no apology for the Moody Blues sound track :)

Last edited:
Great, then we can compare notes :D

So, you went back to using 30fps? The video looks decent for subdued lighting.

Back