VIOFO А119V3 FIRMWARE

I did not understand the question, sorry !!

With the v1.03 firmware if you revert to default settings it disables the GPS until you go in and enable it so I was wondering how easy it would be to change that behaviour to set GPS to enabled by default.

In the meantime, just stick with 1.03 and turn GPS on. Just a single setting only done once.

HE means High Effiency which is a correct icon solution for H265 encoding (HEVC) instead of an SD Card icon.
Regarding your HDR-No HDR video comparison, the forum users are not satisfied with the HDR video quality during day, so all we know that are small chances the HDR to be better during day. An useful HDR comparison is during night.

Definitely HDR is bad for day, but it's magical for the night.

HE means High Effiency which is a correct icon solution for H265 encoding (HEVC) instead of an SD Card icon.
This statement is controversial, I do not like these meaningless letters and not only me, so I took it for a mistake !!
As for HDR - as soon as the weather improves, there will be a new comparison.
And the firmware has become universal, the user can choose his own priorities!

Do you think is logical to have an SD Card as icon when camera is encoding as HEVC instead of AVC?
As you see in above video, you are wasting time with day comparisons, better make night comparisons to show the efficiency of HDR/
Definitely HDR is bad for day, but it's magical for the night.
That video comparison is so poor because make people believe that 60FPS is better than 30FPS.

Both videos are captured by the CMOS at 60FPS. 60FPS top, 60FPS bottom.
The difference between top video and bottom video is that the top video is encoded by the camera at 60FPS and stored at 60FPS. The bottom video is processed by the Novatek chipset from 60FPS to 30FPS to combine 2 consecutive frames into a single frame as an HDR frame, so the encoding is done at 30FPS and stored at 30FPS. Because the car is moving, the two consecutive frames which are processed are never the same and the result is image not clear. The same poor result can be obtained by comparing 30FPS to 30FPS HDR.
If you want to compare 60FPS with something, compare it with 30FPS but no other setting.
The only moment when HDR can be better, is during night. And during night 30FPS HDR is better than 60FPS or 30FPS when reading car license numbers because or reflective plates so there is a big contrast between light and dark.

Last edited:
Mtz, so how the 30FPS HDR mode really works? I thought that 60FPS HDR and 30FPS HDR is exactly the same (capturing in 60FPS, mixing 2 consecutive frames into one, to have HDR effect, and storing it in 30FPS).

There is no 60FPS HDR because Viofo cannot record with 120FPS.
Also maximum FPS for IMX335 is 60FPS which means no camera with IMX335 can record as 60FPS HDR.

Last edited:
I got a new piece, this camera doesn't work on parking lot 2880x2160 on firmware 2.5 and others works ok on 2560x1440 and 2560x1600. The camera does not take photos at higher resolutions, I wanted a parking lot and here only 2560x1440. the photo works fine on 2.6T, but not the parking mode in 3144x1440 only 2560x1440 and 2560x1600.

The cam is only capable of 1600p so anything beyond that is simply upscaled so no real benefit except for bragging rights?

Viofo -" Jak sprawdziliśmy po naszej stronie, wszystko jest w porządku dla V2.5 20210715, zarówno parkowanie, jak i wideo z jazdy golą 2880x2160 P30" ktoś mógłby sprawdzić?

Viofo -" Jak sprawdziliśmy po naszej stronie, wszystko jest w porządku dla V2.5 20210715, zarówno parkowanie, jak i wideo z jazdy golą 2880x2160 P30" ktoś mógłby sprawdzić?

It doesn’t matter what you quote the hardware in the cam can only do at max 1600p

Isn't the best, native, resolution 2560x1440 ?

If so then anything higher in each plane is induced ?

Rozumiem, ale skoro producent tak twierdzi a u mnie nie działa to może ktoś inny sprawdzić ?

A test firmware has been released from VIOFO in which the time for turning on and off the HDR is set.
The timing is in the HDR section of the menu !!
Checking, letting us know our impressions !!
The Link does not work for me (no option to download it, permission problem), can you re-upload it? I would like to try out the timebased automatic hdr on/off setting.

@VIOFO-Support The only other thing I can think of wrt. the bad DOL HDR quality while in motion is to store two video files at the same time: one with low exposure and one with high - is this supported by the chipset in theory? That way you can look up the license plates during night by opening the low exposure file alongside the high one. By doing so the problem of not being able to correctly digitally overlap the low and high exposure frames is mitigated.

@VIOFO-Support The only other thing I can think of wrt. the bad DOL HDR quality while in motion is to store two video files at the same time: one with low exposure and one with high - is this supported by the chipset in theory? That way you can look up the license plates during night by opening the low exposure file alongside the high one. By doing so the problem of not being able to correctly digitally overlap the low and high exposure frames is mitigated.
This type of HDR supported by the CMOS was created for CCTV cameras or other (industrial) cameras which are recording in a fixed position.
A dashcam is a moving camera, so the only possibility to capture two frames at the same position is when the car is parked.

The Novatek chipset can process the HDR image frames transmitted by the CMOS so it will process what it is receiving. If it is on a CCTV camera, it will process two frames taken at the same position, if it is on a moving dashcam it will process two different frames which are containing two different image details except the motor hood.
So the actual HDR offered by Sony will have always the same result, no matter what Novatek or Viofo will do. These things will change when Sony will offer another HDR solution.

As we can saw in some night videos with A119V3, this HDR is a better solution for capturing the car license plates at night. Right now the Viofo A119V3 is the only dashcam in the world which is capturing car license plates at night. No matter what we say in theory, about not useful HDR, about the image not so nice during day, the fact is real. Viofo created actual semi-automatic HDR to offer the best image quality day and night.

Back