VIOFO А119V3 FIRMWARE

If USA plates were more reflective then perhaps this firmware could capture them at night. I did manage to get pretty close.
A lot more depends on the head light of your car (halogen, xenon, led headlights),
as well as the height of the installation of the license plates of the oncoming car.
And of course from the purity of these very license plates.

Last edited:
A lot more depends on the head light of your car (halogen, xenon, led headlights),
as well as the height of the installation of the license plates of the oncoming car.
And of course from the purity of these very license plates.

Yeah that's all true. I think all of these factors need to come together one way or another. Bigger plates with bigger lettering would help of course. My vehicle is older and has halogen headlights although they were considered very high tech in their day because of the design.

In my experiences the highly reflective UK plates, when hit by LED headlights, just become washed out and are a bright white rectangle almost like a third headlight. Under 2.6t I could just read some passenger side stationary parked cars number plates, but not moving cars on the drivers side. This confirms the next paragraph about dashcam position :

The other recommendation was to move the dashcam as close to the centre of the road, this is illegal in the UK.

I've tried almost all the firmware versions from the 1.02 mine came with and I've found that all versions from 2.0 and onwards produce motion blur.

According to the Viofo site version 2.0 changed WDR to HDR, coincidence?

My ideal firmware, for my driving times, would be 1.03 with version 2.5 colours.

Thanks

CPL =On ?

So the firmware is optimised for having the CPL fitted, which I have, thanks.

I have a CPL filter installed on the DVR all the time, regardless of the firmware and time of day.

What firmware do you propose for daytime driving?

This is one of those questions that appear here and we all have different answers to our favourites.

Exactly the same with settings, we all have them setup differently.

If you need a parking mode, then this firmware will not work for you. (talking about v1.02)
Sorry, I am a bit late to this discussion, but still would like to throw in my 5c worth...

Just to avoid confusion - v1.02 WILL work correctly with parking mode.
And so will the next version v1.03build20190911

However, all subsequent v1.0X builds, starting from v1.03build20190924, will not work correctly with parking mode, but only if you are not using the HK3 kit.
When using HK3, the parking mode will work fine with any version.

Viofo fixed that "parking mode" bug (when not using HK3) in one of the v2.X onwards. From the memory, it was either 2.3 or 2.4.
Anyway, it definitely works fine in 2.5 and 2.6T.

And once again - if you use your A119v3 dashcam with HK3 kit - none of the above is your problem. The dashcam will work properly in parking mode with any firmware, when powered via HK3.

Just a word of warning: all above-written applies to the official VIOFO firmwares only.
It has been observed that some of the vvs49's firmware mods that involve boosting a bitrate, also work incorrectly with parking mode, with or without HK3. Keep that in mind.

Hope someone will find this info helpful.

This is one of those questions that appear here and we all have different answers to our favourites.

Exactly the same with settings, we all have them setup differently.
I know it is so, but I have already lost my way in the responses of other forum users and I don't know which firmware version to choose.

I know it is so, but I have already lost my way in the responses of other forum users and I don't know which firmware version to choose.
You have not provided sufficient information about your requirements and conditions. So far, you only mentioned that you are mainly (exclusively?) going to record daylight footages. In that case, pretty much any firmware will do - you just need to turn off HDR (WDR in v.1.0X) in the settings.
The absolute majority of the users set the resolution to 2560х1440 or 2560x1080.
Bitrate should be set to normal or high.
H265 saves time and sd card resource, but may cause a non-smooth rendering in some old machines and players.
Next comes the question of whether you need to use a parking mode (which one of the three?) and how you power your cam - via HK3 or not.
After this is clarified, the optimal f/w can be suggested, although the ones uploaded by Karagandinez on the previous page, should easily fit your bill.
The whole fuzz and forums battles were about the ability to read the number plates at night. If this is not your priority then the choice of the firmware becomes a no-brainer - you can use pretty much anything - just consider the above.
Ask questions if any.
And don't be afraid to experiment - changing the firmware only takes a couple of minutes.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I agree with the above.

I've answered similar questions in the past and so have others. We all have different answers so it's difficult.

I am a public transport bus driver. I drive about 3 hours at night and then during the day. Is there any "universal" software I will be happy with for this recorder?
I work in Poland, so the license plates are white with black inscriptions.

Well, that's not what you said in the beginning. So, it's a mixture of daylight and night time, when you use the dashcam.
One thing you have to accept right now - there is no firmware that guarantees a recognition of all 100% number plates recorded.
The other thing you have to understand is that there are some other individual factors heavily affecting the dashcam ability to recognise the plates, including but not limited to, the quality of the windscreen, technology and beam angle of your headlights, weather and light conditions, sun position, speed, road angle, number plate type and cleanness, dashcam mount stiffness etc. etc. etc.
So, there is no "golden" software version to suit everyone - if it was, everyone would be using it now.
"I will be happy with" - depends on your criteria of happiness. 90% of number plates recognised? 80? 50?

So, long story short - I'd suggest you to start with v2.6T, since both day/night operation is intended. See if you will be happy with it. If not - come back here.
And, of course, before using it, please allocate some time to sit down and carefully read the User Manual. RTFM.

Good luck.

I care most about recognizing license plates. Views are not important to me.

You will struggle to see licence plates at night with any dashcam. As above, your best starting point is 2.6t

Do you have a link to this firmware?

Back