VIOFO A118C2

Yes.
A119 stamps GPS even with GPS off in the settings.
On/off only changes display of speed on the LCD screen.
this is changed/fixed in latest firmware update. i know, it's hard to keep up with the monster size threads in the a119 forum. gps info can be totally hidden and just embedded in the file so that you can view it with Dashcam Viewer.

i do own the a119 (two actually), as well as two 118's and the 119 is hands down a much better camera. i'm honestly not sure why viofo is updating the 118 so soon after releasing the 119. seems like it'd cannibalize sales of the 119.

this is changed/fixed in latest firmware update. i know, it's hard to keep up with the monster size threads in the a119 forum. gps info can be totally hidden and just embedded in the file so that you can view it with Dashcam Viewer.

i do own the a119 (two actually), as well as two 118's and the 119 is hands down a much better camera. i'm honestly not sure why viofo is updating the 118 so soon after releasing the 119. seems like it'd cannibalize sales of the 119.
Brilliant, thanks for the reply. Is it simple to do firmware updates on the unit?

Also, where did you purchase yours?

Many thanks

Brilliant, thanks for the reply. Is it simple to do firmware updates on the unit?

Also, where did you purchase yours?

Many thanks
yes, you basically unzip/unpack the update you download, put it on a BLANK sd card, put card in camera and power it up, let it finish flashing lights, then it boots up and is now on the new firmware. it's always a good idea to then go into the menu and do a RESET to clear all settings, since new features are added all the time, and old config data can make for strange behavior. ask me how i know... :oops:

mine was a pre-production unit i received direct from Viofo to do early beta testing with.

yes, you basically unzip/unpack the update you download, put it on a BLANK sd card, put card in camera and power it up, let it finish flashing lights, then it boots up and is now on the new firmware. it's always a good idea to then go into the menu and do a RESET to clear all settings, since new features are added all the time, and old config data can make for strange behavior. ask me how i know... :oops:

mine was a pre-production unit i received direct from Viofo to do early beta testing with.
Thanks for all the info- much appreciated

Thanks for the info in this thread, got myself an A119 in the end.

This is a great forum, full of useful information and very supportive members - you should be proud!

Not sure whether to get another 119 or wait for for the revised 118, I was originally thinking about getting ab A118 for the rear window to compliment the front A119 but prices seem so close that it makes it a harder decision,more so now that they both have hardware updates coming soon.

Last edited:
Regarding the lens, normally the expensive one is better. :).
We have tested about new 4 lens for A118C V2, finally choose this F2.0 130° FOV version, then check the price, found it is most expensive one between those lens.
View attachment 25533

About the LCD, I agreed with @Sunny, depends on the angle of your view. My conclusion is from what I saw inside the car, check the attachment for details.
For A119 LCD, there is another cost down version , but finally we choose the better one.

What's the f ratio and fov on the original a118c? Will the v2 completely replace v1 or sold alongside, and is there a price change? Thanks

I too am waiting for whichever really, can't decide between the A118C V2 or A119S for my rear window install.

I too am waiting for whichever really, can't decide between the A118C V2 or A119S for my rear window install.
A119S will be superior, it's a lot newer though so will probably still need further development and debug, the A118C V2 is close enough to the V1 that very little is required and it should be stable from the get go

Hmmmm , Red apple VS Green apple .... I like apples .

Also waiting for the A118c V2 or is it going to be the A118c2 ( ? )
Anyhow , I like the original A118c , so can't wait to see what is done to the V2 ...

Not sure whether to get another 119 or wait for for the revised 118, I was originally thinking about getting ab A118 for the rear window to compliment the front A119 but prices seem so close that it makes it a harder decision,more so now that they both have hardware updates coming soon.
Contrary to popular belief, a dash cam in the rear actually needs to be a better performer due to ever-changing and limited lighting during the night. Unfortunately there's no dash cam yet that'll give you legible footage during very low light or darkness in the rear. If most of your driving is during the daytime then any model that works for you should suffice. Nighttime is a different story as mentioned.

I have a Mobius in the rear, below are a few videos, you'll get a fair idea as to what to expect and not.

My first criteria was that the dash cam needs to be discreet, which the Mobius fulfills.

Contrary to popular belief, a dash cam in the rear actually needs to be a better performer due to ever-changing and limited lighting during the night. Unfortunately there's no dash cam yet that'll give you legible footage during very low light or darkness in the rear. If most of your driving is during the daytime then any model that works for you should suffice. Nighttime is a different story as mentioned.

I have a Mobius in the rear, below are a few videos, you'll get a fair idea as to what to expect and not.

My first criteria was that the dash cam needs to be discreet, which the Mobius fulfills.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with a great post inc videos, appreciate it.

Last edited:

Scary driving. They come at you from all angles

Scary driving. They come at you from all angles
Watched the videos again but didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I could post videos every day that would be termed scary or insane by most people here but I prefer to share stuff that scares me too.

Oh dear, that's not good.

@Duggro I guess you bought the non-GPS version then, to avoid the GPS speed?
@viofo please ignore my question about new A118C in other thread. I found this one all by myself!

Need two cams for two vehicles but still can't decide. I did go back and look at the old A118C last week, after seeing all the A119C bugs being reported.
@jokiin How is the A118CV2 similar enough to be stable if things are being changed, or is it just the lens?
Also, how will we know we are buying the V2 version from a retailer. Will there be a physical visible clue when looking at it?

Back