VIOFO A119 Mini 2 - Review PP

While i have not tried this camera or any other starvis 2 camera from any brand, well then i have kept my nose to the ground, and i think i will have to agree on most of this.

A included CPL should be the standard today, and most should put it on and leave it there, CUZ most will.
I would not do with / without CPL testing as i doubt most people will have the time / energy to care / do that in their day 2 day driving

While i have not tried this camera or any other starvis 2 camera from any brand, well then i have kept my nose to the ground, and i think i will have to agree on most of this.
Right on Brian,
I made some pretty bold, and wild claims in my Pros & Cons, and Final Thoughts.
But these claims are not unfounded. lol

A included CPL should be the standard today, and most should put it on and leave it there, CUZ most will.
I would not do with / without CPL testing as i doubt most people will have the time / energy to care / do that in their day 2 day driving
During my 8 hour in person meeting with @rcg530 last Tuesday, I asked him;
"Why don’t all dash cams come with a CPL Filter permanently attached?"

What we came up with is that some vehicle windshields / windows may have aftermarket tint, or factory tint that will be incompatible with a CPL Filter.
We came up with proposed solution to have the dash cam equipped with an “internal” CPL Filter that can move into place, and out of place just like how an IR interior camera functions with the IR filter.
The consumer will be able to manually control the built in internal CPL Filter by changing settings directly on the camera, or with the smartphone app.
Maybe there can be an “AUTO” setting similar to Viofo’s HDR Auto setting.
But of course this will add system complexity, and considerable cost to the dash cam, and it makes more money for the manufacturers to keep selling “optional” accessories like CPL Filters for $15 a pop. lol

The reason I remove the CPL Filter for my night time test footage is to maintain continuity will all my previous, and future testing of different dash cam models.
I maintain a library of all the test footage I have ever filmed organized in different playlists on my second YouTube Channel.
This is so I can go back, and compare new, and old cameras.

We also discussed an “active cooling” solution for parking mode like adding a small fan built into the main camera housing that is powered by a small solar panel.
The small solar panel will affix to the windshield like Thinkware’s new heat blocking film, and the camera will be mounted under / behind the solar panel.
But of course this will add system complexity, and considerable cost to the dash cam.
-Chuck

Back