VIOFO A119 or VIOFO A119S?

VIOFO A119 or VIOFO A119S?

• Total voters

CataLiNNN

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hi there,

Several weeks I was looking after a good camera.

Well, a new software update is available for A199, but also for A199S so I started a new thread.

After reading and watching reviews I can't tell that A119S is better than his predecessor. Indeed, A119 I think is sharper and you can read license plates better on her recordings.

What are your thoughts?

Should I go with A119? I don't like the ideea that MAYBE in future Viofo will relase updates for A199S that could improve the camera.

I don't like the ideea that MAYBE in future Viofo will relase updates for A199S that could improve the camera.
The firmware for both of them will no doubt be fine tuned over time to be the best they can be. In my opinion, the A119S firmware will probably change the most as it is the younger model.

Two other things to consider:

Resolution and field of view - The S model, although lower resolution, has a narrower FOV which will make up for the lower resolution when zooming in on details. This does mean, however, you will lose out on some view to the sides.

Light sensitivity - The S model is going to be better in low light situations as that's what it was designed for. If most of your driving is in bright daylight the original A119 could be more suitable.

If I were buying one, I'd get an A119S as UK weather can be pretty gloomy more often than not, especially outside of summer time. I'd want the most light sensitive camera available. I also do a lot of driving after dark and on unlit country lanes, even more so when outside of summer time and the days are shorter.

So really it comes down to personal preferances and your climate, what time you usually drive, etc.

The A119 does just fine for me at night for city driving. But if you frequent poorly lit streets or no lit streets like back country roads..then the S model with better low light feature probably would be better. Either way, they both are very good cams.

The A119 does just fine for me at night for city driving. But if you frequent poorly lit streets or no lit streets like back country roads..then the S model with better low light feature probably would be better. Either way, they both are very good cams.

I happen live on a rural back country road and from my experience, if you are driving around in pitch blackness it doesn't really matter all that much which camera you have as long as you get decent headlight coverage. The headlights on an A119 should probably offer just as much coverage or nearly so as the headlights on the A119S. Personally, I think I'd be inclined to go with the higher resolution A119 over the A119S but maybe if I did more night driving in urban areas I might feel different.

Back