VIOFO A119 (production) feature requests and bug reports

there is another one that works but it's only a beta version at this stage, might be a while before a release version is available
Do you know if the beta version is available to the public or if it's possible to sign up to the beta test?

Not available to the public, it's developers only at this stage
Ok, hope they are using Registrator Viewer for inspiration rather than the other one. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the developer of Registrator Viewer had died so there will be no more version of that, is that correct ?

Ok, hope they are using Registrator Viewer for inspiration rather than the other one. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the developer of Registrator Viewer had died so there will be no more version of that, is that correct ?
I don't know that they've seen Registrator Viewer but it is a typical player that has that similar layout, a lot more basic though

Samsung:
Fairly confident as it both states on the product and after contacting support. I'm sure if you ask nicely that it'll be fine but I don't like the fact that it can be taken away. I've seen some reports where you can cut the SD card and send it back if you tell the rep you are worried about privacy (Sandisk).

Me:
Could you clarify the length of the Samsung Pro MicroSD Card - MB-MG64EA/AM when used in a dash camera? Under the full specs it says 10 years but it has an asterisk that says "Warranty is limited for any type of surveillance system."

-------
Samsung:
Samsung SD Cards and Micro SD Cards are not intended to be used for continuous recording purposes for example, in surveillance systems such as a car-black box. The reason for this is because the card may fail with constant and obsessive reading and writing. They are not designed to be constantly and continuously written to.

-------
Me:
Hi, that makes sense, does that mean there is no warranty on these cards when used in a dash camera?

-------
Samsung:
It would be a case by case basis. If the card would fail within its warranty period we would have to review the case.
Lexar 633X
I'm confident the Lexar 633X 128GB card is MLC. Two sources:

1) From Our Berries Review

2) Direct from Lexar Support. They said MLC and SLC. I thought they made a mistake but from another customer rep they said SLC as well. Don't know what to think...

Lexar:

Thank you for contacting Lexar Support. Unfortunately, we have many different manufacturing plants and they could use either MLC, or SLC NAND. Most of the time they are MLC, however some manufacturing plants still use the SLC parts. I can only guarantee the speed rating. Your 128GB 633x carry up to 95MB/s read, and 20MB/s write speed.

The 633x card does carry a limited lifetime warranty. You can safely use it within a dash camera or surveillance system without voiding your warranty. You would need to check with the manufacturer, as some devices, particularly older devices may not support capacities this large.

-------
Me:
Just to clarify do you mean MLC and TLC construction for the 633x? Getting SLC would be awesome as a consumer but it might be expensive for Lexar.

--------
Lexar:
That's correct. There are some of the 633x cards that are MLC and SLC design. Our 633xcards have been known to be a great card for dash cams and small cameras. I hope the information has helped.
So is the recommendation to go with Lexar over Samsung for reliability? I'm currently using a Samsung Evo select but will switch if there's a better option

Samsung:
Fairly confident as it both states on the product and after contacting support. I'm sure if you ask nicely that it'll be fine but I don't like the fact that it can be taken away. I've seen some reports where you can cut the SD card and send it back if you tell the rep you are worried about privacy (Sandisk).

Me:
Could you clarify the length of the Samsung Pro MicroSD Card - MB-MG64EA/AM when used in a dash camera? Under the full specs it says 10 years but it has an asterisk that says "Warranty is limited for any type of surveillance system."

-------
Samsung:
Samsung SD Cards and Micro SD Cards are not intended to be used for continuous recording purposes for example, in surveillance systems such as a car-black box. The reason for this is because the card may fail with constant and obsessive reading and writing. They are not designed to be constantly and continuously written to.

-------
Me:
Hi, that makes sense, does that mean there is no warranty on these cards when used in a dash camera?

-------
Samsung:
It would be a case by case basis. If the card would fail within its warranty period we would have to review the case.
Lexar 633X
I'm confident the Lexar 633X 128GB card is MLC. Two sources:

1) From Our Berries Review

2) Direct from Lexar Support. They said MLC and SLC. I thought they made a mistake but from another customer rep they said SLC as well. Don't know what to think...

Lexar:

Thank you for contacting Lexar Support. Unfortunately, we have many different manufacturing plants and they could use either MLC, or SLC NAND. Most of the time they are MLC, however some manufacturing plants still use the SLC parts. I can only guarantee the speed rating. Your 128GB 633x carry up to 95MB/s read, and 20MB/s write speed.

The 633x card does carry a limited lifetime warranty. You can safely use it within a dash camera or surveillance system without voiding your warranty. You would need to check with the manufacturer, as some devices, particularly older devices may not support capacities this large.

-------
Me:
Just to clarify do you mean MLC and TLC construction for the 633x? Getting SLC would be awesome as a consumer but it might be expensive for Lexar.

--------
Lexar:
That's correct. There are some of the 633x cards that are MLC and SLC design. Our 633xcards have been known to be a great card for dash cams and small cameras. I hope the information has helped.
Hi AndrewL.

Sorry to be pedantic but your discussion on SD cards is a little of the "VIOFO A119 (production) feature requests and bug reports" topic. Just worried that a long discussion on the intricacies of SD card manufacturing processes will cloud out the important points of bugs and features of the A119....
Would be nice to maintain one thread with a clear list of bugs and feature requests.

Hi AndrewL.

Sorry to be pedantic but your discussion on SD cards is a little of the "VIOFO A119 (production) feature requests and bug reports" topic. Just worried that a long discussion on the intricacies of SD card manufacturing processes will cloud out the important points of bugs and features of the A119....
Would be nice to maintain one thread with a clear list of bugs and feature requests.

Nope, you're right. I'll delete it and move it to another thread.

Nope, you're right. I'll delete it and move it to another thread.
Thanks Andrew :)
I'm thinking maybe I should move my "Registrator Viewer and Dashcam Viewer" remarks to another thread too. Not really anything Viofo can do about those :(

Hello
the screen do not turn off automatically
i need to push the shut down button to make it work
and i already setting it on the menu to shut down after 30 sec and nothing happend

Hello
and i already setting it on the menu to shut down after 30 sec and nothing happend
Try a different time setting. I used 15 seconds and it worked fine.

My A119 will not retain my Time stamp. It always reverts to a time 4 hours ahead of my time. I have set the time manually and also on the screen that allows you to adjust the time from GMT. When I exit the menu, it always reverts back to 4 hours ahead. Bug?
Also, GPS is very slow to update. I can accelerate from 0 to 45 in 15 seconds, yet the speed indicator takes about 30 seconds or longer to "catch up" with my actual speed. When I stopped the car for 60 seconds to get out and get the mail, the GPS speed never went lower than 15km/hr, even when the car was stopped.

My A119 will not retain my Time stamp. It always reverts to a time 4 hours ahead of my time. I have set the time manually and also on the screen that allows you to adjust the time from GMT. When I exit the menu, it always reverts back to 4 hours ahead. Bug?
Also, GPS is very slow to update. I can accelerate from 0 to 45 in 15 seconds, yet the speed indicator takes about 30 seconds or longer to "catch up" with my actual speed. When I stopped the car for 60 seconds to get out and get the mail, the GPS speed never went lower than 15km/hr, even when the car was stopped.

As jokkin said "GMT needs to be set to your region"; and since it is Daylight Saving time subtract an extra 1 hour: like if you are on

Eastern Time in the winter it is -5 ... but in spring/summer -4.

Central would be -6 and -5

Pacific -7 and -6

You have to do it manually : it is not changed automatically.
If you do not follow Daylight Saving time then use the 1st number, and never needs to be changed.

GPS: That's a bummer because I was planning on ordering the GPS version... but I see there are glitches there too...

Hello
Can you double check or tell us which other setting you use, just checked the 30s screen saver option, seems no problem.

Generally quite happy with the video quality ( 2560x1440 30fps with WDR on, all daylight so far ).

However, GPS is another matter! The GPS logger is very unstable, quick to get first fix but far too many drop outs while driving. For instance on one 30min journey the GPS data was only visible on the recorded footage for approx. 15 mins with multiple gaps. The track shown in Dashcam viewer is wildly erratic, in the same journey the track only matched with the actual route taken for about 2 minutes, rest of the time is was offset by anything up to 200-300m when working, just straight lines between two points in places because of drop out.

I compared this with footage from the rear view mini801 with GPS ( the A119 replaced this, it was front camera but moved it to rear ) over the same period. The mini801 GPS was much slower to get initial lock BUT once locked it stayed locked throughout the journey. Viewing footage from this in Registrator Viewer showed the GPS data to be rock solid, matched up perfectly with the actual route to within just a few meters.

Can something be done in the firmware to correct this very poor GPS performance or is it more likely to be the GPS receiver that's at fault ?

Does anyone at Viofo have any comment on my question regarding poor GPS performance?

Does anyone at Viofo have any comment on my question regarding poor GPS performance?
what kind of car is it installed in? any antennas, demister, painted dots/shade, or tint film in/on the glass anywhere near the camera? any other equipment nearby, such as a mirror with extra electronics, rain sensor, factory collision warning systems, anything like that? not all of those will cause problems but some can. photos of the install (inside and outside views) might help as well.

what kind of car is it installed in? any antennas, demister, painted dots/shade, or tint film in/on the glass anywhere near the camera? any other equipment nearby, such as a mirror with extra electronics, rain sensor, factory collision warning systems, anything like that? not all of those will cause problems but some can. photos of the install (inside and outside views) might help as well.
The car is a Skoda Citigo, very basic. There is a collision warning sensor in the top centre in front of the rear view mirror which has a lens to the front, the manual says it is laser based. Nothing else around.
As I said in my original post, the A119 is positioned in exactly the same spot where the mini801 camera it replaced was fitted. The mini801 performed perfectly there, as it continues to do now it is mounted on the rear window.

I fear that either the GPS receiver supplied with A119 has much poorer reception that the mini801, or possibly the A119 itself is not reading/interpreting the data from the GPS correctly. If it's the latter then maybe a firmware fix would be possible, if it's the former then it would mean an alternative GPS receiver needs to be found :(

So the GPS data embedded in the video is affecting me already. I'm having some quality issues, and wanted to post some snaps, but can't do that without either revealing my location, or recompress the image (which might make it more difficult to troubleshoot quality issues).

I really hope Viofo can figure out a way of dumping that GPS data in a separate file, and not embed in the video, as sharing is now something I will avoid.

Back