VIOFO A119 (production) feature requests and bug reports

DashBoat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 & A139
Since some of us have received the camera, I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread about this.

Feature Request: Enable beep/chime upon shutdown

This type of feature has been helpful in the past, and helps me detect when there are power issues (power supplies do go bad, overloaded, etc.), and when it's safe to remove the microSD card.

Last edited:
I posted originally in the first impressions thread but feel that they belong here as well.

Can we please get an option to display the speed in mph and the ability to remove the displayed speed from the recorded video files?
Is there a firmware tweak that can done to support larger microsd cards, 128GB and up?

I posted originally in the first impressions thread but feel that they belong here as well.

Can we please get an option to display the speed in mph and the ability to remove the displayed speed from the recorded video files?
Is there a firmware tweak that can done to support larger microsd cards, 128GB and up?
Viofo said they are checking whether it will support 128GB. I don't have a 128GB card or I would test it myself.

Ah, no reference to the A119 in the topic title or first post, so I missed it.

Mods are more than welcome to merge the threads, but hopefully the title can be updated for SEO reasons.

I don't have mine installed yet, but does it not store the speed with the GPS meta data in a separate file? If so, then you could use this data with Registrator Viewer (assuming the A119 is compatible).

Viofo said GPS info is in movie file. Not sure about Registrator Viewer, but I think Dashcam Viewer will display GPS info.

The GPS info is stored in the video file. It is not compatible with Registrator Viewer for viewing GPS info. You can view the videos just fine though.

Dashcam Viewer is supposed to work for viewing the video and GPS data simultaneously. I have not been able to verify this because it keeps crashing when I open a video file.

The GPS info is stored in the video file. It is not compatible with Registrator Viewer for viewing GPS info. You can view the videos just fine though.

Dashcam Viewer is supposed to work for viewing the video and GPS data simultaneously. I have not been able to verify this because it keeps crashing when I open a video file.

Well that's really disappointing. I hope they will reconsider.

Display speed in MPH and KPH will be implemented in next firmware, beta version will be released soon.
We have tested the Samsung EVO 128GB card, no problem for recording, but still do more testing.

how it's stored in the file is a Novatek thing

Since I haven't tested the camera with GPS enabled yet:

Does this mean I can't share my footage without revealing the location (or modifying the video)?

I have a Silicon Power 128GB Class 10 card that, so far, has been running fine in the A119.

is there any chance of adjusting motion detect sensitivity? as it is, I can keep the camera stationary for quite a long time w/ absolutely no movement in the frame but it will still seemingly record until the power is cut.

I just put in a 128GB PNY High Performance Class 10 UHS-I, U1. I seemed to format ok. So we'll see how it goes.

Samsung can your warranty if you use their cards in a dash cam. PNY wouldn't say which of their 128GB cards use MLC. I've only the Lexar's 633X being an affordable MLC card.

Samsung can your warranty if you use their cards in a dash cam. PNY wouldn't say which of their 128GB cards use MLC. I've only the Lexar's 633X being an affordable MLC card.
I think Samsung only cancel the warrantee if you use it too much, but you still get several years of dashcam use for the Pro version before the warrantee expires unless you record in 4K 60Mbps 24/7.

Are you sure those Lexar cards are MLC? I thought that only the cards up to 64GB are MLC.

I've just examined the footage from the first week of use of the A119 in my wife's car.
Generally quite happy with the video quality ( 2560x1440 30fps with WDR on, all daylight so far ).

However, GPS is another matter! The GPS logger is very unstable, quick to get first fix but far too many drop outs while driving. For instance on one 30min journey the GPS data was only visible on the recorded footage for approx. 15 mins with multiple gaps. The track shown in Dashcam viewer is wildly erratic, in the same journey the track only matched with the actual route taken for about 2 minutes, rest of the time is was offset by anything up to 200-300m when working, just straight lines between two points in places because of drop out.

I compared this with footage from the rear view mini801 with GPS ( the A119 replaced this, it was front camera but moved it to rear ) over the same period. The mini801 GPS was much slower to get initial lock BUT once locked it stayed locked throughout the journey. Viewing footage from this in Registrator Viewer showed the GPS data to be rock solid, matched up perfectly with the actual route to with just a few meters.

Can something be done in the firmware to correct this very poor GPS performance or is it more likely to be the GPS receiver that's at fault ?

I think Dascham Viewer is very shoddy compared with Registrator Viewer. User interface puts multiple windows all over the place and is nowhere near as user friendly as Registrator Viewer.
Does anyone know of an alternative to Dashcam Viewer that can read the GPS data from the A119. Really don't want to pay out $30 for just a poor piece of software...

Back