Created new A119 V2 - Beta MOD version 6Rp
This Beta MOD combines radical and subversive alterations to color values in an attempt to reach the ultimate realistic video colorization achieved by the all powerful V3. (DCTeam translation = cranked up the values)

Download Beta MOD-6Rp

Beta Testing Setup: Exposure=0 , WDR=Off , Loop=1min
Share your observations, footage and screenshots.

I will try out this 6Rp mod

Stage 1 for me, firmware installed OK but not sure when it will get it's first use.

Q: I downloaded and installed the 'beta' one yesterday, is this the same or later than the one in the main link as the video is now labelled 'stable mod version 6Rp' ?

Last edited:
Stage 1 for me, firmware installed OK but not sure when it will get it's first use.

Q: I downloaded and installed the 'beta' one yesterday, is this the same or later than the one in the main link as the video is now labelled 'stable mod version 6Rp' ?
the previous public Beta was actually the Stable version we were testing for last 5 days, no need for you to download and update again.
need more feedback on color enhancement, sharpness and fine detail assessment compared to MOD-6Ro and stock v4.01 (i don't own two A119 V2 for side by side comparisons)

The A119 V2 Modified Firmware collection continues to expand adding confusion for end user MOD selection. Normally the newest MOD offers the best image quality, suggest users record test footage using favorite firmware then compare with latest. There are situations where older MODs work better with variations to Lens focal length from small batch differences off production line. The release of A119 V3 model with Sony night vision sensor produces an amazing realistic color image compared to dull stock V2 firmware. This difference in color and parking features between models increases the upgrade path to V3. For V2 owners not interested in upgrading more V2 MOD adjustments are planned including increased color, increased bitrate and lower sharpness.

Here is a side by side comparison of MOD 6Rp with the V3 FW 1.02 rendered in 4K.

Here is a side by side comparison of MOD 6Rp with the V3 FW 1.02 rendered in 4K.
Great V3 vs V2 comparison on cloudy UK day showing the difference lower light conditions have on V3 Sony sensor vs V2 OmniVision sensor and how V3 higher bitrate improves details in difficult conditions. MOD-6RP color saturation boost turned out better than expected, more comparisons are needed before adjustments are made. Thanks for sharing.

2 RAW files for download, same section of road but different days/conditions. Both 1440 and CPL.

1) Cloudy(ish) day using 6Ro direct RAW download: > Viofo V2, 6Ro <

2) Full sun day using 6Rp direct RAW download: > Viofo V2, 6Rp <

Might be just me but does 6Rp look a bit washed out, road signs ? Might just be the full sun.

The download isn't obvious as the link produces a still image so I'll zip them in the morning and redo the link.

Last edited:
2 RAW files for download, same section of road but different days/conditions. Both 1440 and CPL.
1) Cloudy(ish) day using 6Ro: https://www.dropbox.com/s/238ztvtsw39wtzc/Viofo V2 6Ro.MP4?dl=0
2) Full sun day using 6Rp: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cfthd1plxj270x/Viofo V2 6Rp.MP4?dl=0
Might be just me but does 6Rp look a bit washed out, road signs ? Might just be the full sun.

The download isn't obvious as the link produces a still image so I'll zip them in the morning and redo the link.
The A119 V2 has always had dull dimmer brightness until these MODs brightened the image.
When you angle Lens down it brightens image MORE, so change the angle slightly higher to reduce brightness.
Footage is great, Lens has perfect focus, well done with MOD-6Rp.

Thanks, if you're happy with my 6Rp. To be fair, yesterday was 38C round here and full sun so it did cope well.

Links changed to direct download.

I've set the ratchet one click down for my next journey, see what happens. May be a while though.

Last edited:
Thanks, if you're happy with my 6Rp. To be fair, yesterday was 38C round here and full sun so it did cope well.
Links changed to direct download.
I've set the ratchet one click down for my next journey, see what happens. May be a while though.
Not sure you absorbed the Lens angle tip.
Lens up dims the road.
Lens down brightens the road.
Your Lens is already too low. You are complaining its too bright. Move the Lens angle up.

Ah, point it more towards the sky, gotcha, and changed.

Side by Side comparison. A129 FW 1.02 vs. A119 FW 6Rp - Day.

Side by Side comparison. A129 FW 1.02 vs. A119 FW 6Rp - Night.

Hi there!

Newbie here.

Thanks BCHobbyist for your great work.

I am excited to test the modified firmware.

My device: A119 v2. Stock Firmware: A119_17115_V3.4

Can I upgrade to modified MOD-6Rp from the version it has now?

Or

I need to upgrade to Stock V.4.0 first?

EDIT: I was impatient and Upgraded. Everything works like a charm. Thanks a lot!

Question: What if I slightly change the default settings (Except date/time/etc) like turning on 'parking mode', making video length 1 min.
Or more refined question: What is not recommended to change in default settings?

If I leave in 'parking mode' in the garage (no extra movement there at night.) will it stop recording and start again when I open the door in the morning?

Please, pardon my noobish questions and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks BCHobbyist for your great work.
I am excited to test the modified firmware.
My device: A119 v2. Stock Firmware: A119_17115_V3.4
Can I upgrade to modified MOD-6Rp from the version it has now?
Or
I need to upgrade to Stock V.4.0 first?
EDIT: I was impatient and Upgraded. Everything works like a charm. Thanks a lot!
Question: What if I slightly change the default settings (Except date/time/etc) like turning on 'parking mode', making video length 1 min.
Or more refined question: What is not recommended to change in default settings?
If I leave in 'parking mode' in the garage (no extra movement there at night.) will it stop recording and start again when I open the door in the morning?
Please, pardon my noobish questions and thanks in advance.
Viofo Dashcam Firmware can be updated in any order including using my modified firmware. Great choice using MOD-6Rp for your A119 V2, it should work fine with Parking Mode.
Customizing Settings is always preferred over the defaults and great way to learn about the Dashcam. Parking Mode only works if power source remains on after turning off ignition. Parking Mode switches to Normal Driving Mode automatically when vehicle is driven and G-sensor detects continuous motion. Good idea to test your setup then review the recorded footage.
Suggest you visit my websites for detailed information and Menu Settings.
Viofo A119 V2 Dashcam Review = https://viofo-a119-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com
Dashcam Buyer's Guide & Advice = https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com

Night view comparison
Was this video recorded in 1080p60fps or 1440p30fps?
I know youtube adds comoression to the files, I ma just asking since I guess 60fps would be preferable for a "crash cam" when looking on stills of the videos. As soon as there is a lot of motion (like the moments before a crash) both videos smear text quite a lot. I dont know if 60fps would help or if its just interpolated images which could even make it worse. Though I doubt the camera module ans lens quality is good enough for 1440p but I havent tried mine, im just judging from the videos.
Sharpness is something i worked a lot with on projectors (semi pro) and in 9/10 cases artificial sharpening removes detail but gives more pop. Same thing with mobile phone cameras.

I would be amazed if there was professional sharpening algorithms and cpu to handle it in this kind of camera as its really cpu intensive even when just playing video.

With that said, i normally stay away from sharpening = set it to minimum (unless algorithm is totally wrong and minimum degrades "original", then i set it to mid way (0) )

Really imoressive to drive the same round twice that equal. I even saw the same white car in the roundabout lol :)
Thanks for the comparison

Was this video recorded in 1080p60fps or 1440p30fps?
I know youtube adds comoression to the files, I ma just asking since I guess 60fps would be preferable for a "crash cam" when looking on stills of the videos. As soon as there is a lot of motion (like the moments before a crash) both videos smear text quite a lot. I dont know if 60fps would help or if its just interpolated images which could even make it worse. Though I doubt the camera module ans lens quality is good enough for 1440p but I havent tried mine, im just judging from the videos.
Sharpness is something i worked a lot with on projectors (semi pro) and in 9/10 cases artificial sharpening removes detail but gives more pop. Same thing with mobile phone cameras.

I would be amazed if there was professional sharpening algorithms and cpu to handle it in this kind of camera as its really cpu intensive even when just playing video.

With that said, i normally stay away from sharpening = set it to minimum (unless algorithm is totally wrong and minimum degrades "original", then i set it to mid way (0) )

Really imoressive to drive the same round twice that equal. I even saw the same white car in the roundabout lol :)
Thanks for the comparison

Both video was recorded in 1440p. BC Hobbyist done a great job in improving Viofo's Dashcam firmware. The Mod 6Rp firmware is even better.

Back