VioFo a119 V3 start up issue

Tyestick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello fellow dash cam users,

I’ve had my a119 V3 installed for about 2 days now, and while everything worked fine the first day, day two didn’t go so smoothly.

Latest firmware installed: V1.03(update 0924)

My a119 V3 is hardwired through the GPS mount.
I was able to power it on for a moment this morning to which it recorded about a minute worth of footage, and then stopped.

I’ve checked the GPS mount, and everything is secure. I reformatted the SD card, which didn’t seem to help.

When plugging the camera into a USB wall charger, it powers on with no problem.

Is it possible that it’s a voltage issue?

Vehicle is new, 2019 Camaro.

What make of SDCard and what hardwire kit ?

The SD card is a Samsung 128gig High endurance card, and the hardwire kit is the VIOFO HK3ACC.

Attachments

• DF3D7B8B-EEBE-4087-8FD0-43A7D23F5FEE.jpeg
    DF3D7B8B-EEBE-4087-8FD0-43A7D23F5FEE.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 6C45E296-9F09-4A52-AAE8-B3A65298B260.jpeg
    6C45E296-9F09-4A52-AAE8-B3A65298B260.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 5
Try it in the car with the cigar lighter plug, plugged into the mount, if that doesn't work, try it plugged into the camera, if that does work try the HK3 plugged into the camera... and post the results...

Okay, so with the USB cord from the cigarette lighter directly to the camera, I have power.

Problem solved:

Not sure how it may have happened, but it appears to not been fully locked into the GPS mount.

It’s possible that the connection between the dash-cam and the GPS mount, is a bit finicky. I absolutely made sure that it was locked into its mount last night.

Needless to say, everything is working again.

Thank you for the suggestions and help!

It’s possible that the connection between the dash-cam and the GPS mount, is a bit finicky.
I've found mine pretty good, maybe more likely the power socket not properly inserted, maybe the cable got pulled out a little if it is a tight fit.

I've found mine pretty good, maybe more likely the power socket not properly inserted, maybe the cable got pulled out a little if it is a tight fit.

I did a double check on the GPS connection last night, to make sure everything was snug and connected.

One note to add, would be that I did add the ‘EVA foam’ (before the issue of the unit not powering on), to mitigate any vibrations to the top of the dash-cam that sits between the GPS mounted connection. With the ‘EVA foam’, the connection is definitely a bit more snug.

Just adding any possible relevant information that I remember that could possibly be a contributing factor.

Whilst you've gone the recommended high endurance, that card is only a U1. Connect it to a PC, USB3 or USBC slot only, and see what the true read/write speed is using one of the tools available.

Recording video and performing compression at the same time needs a fast card. My Samsung card is a U3 and the PC read/write is in the 90/80 area. My previous Sandisk card only had a write speed of 15Mbps and I did have the odd hiccup on my previous Nextbase cams.

As a further test, reduce the resolution and bitrate to lowest possible and go again.

Hi Kremmen, what do you think is a good write speed for dashcams? i am having an issue with my dash cam and am still in the process of troubleshooting what is causing continuous beep after a while of working fine. i am looking at gps module issue but i was able to rule that out as even after directly connecting usb cable to the camera body, it still happened. i am left with the hardwire kit and the card. i used sandisk high endurance 128 GB similar to the highly recommended samsung pro endurance in terms of write speed. I opted for an authentic sandisk sd card because samsung pro endurance is not available from a reputable seller in my country yet. This is the card that i am using:

high-endurance-uhs-i-microsd-128gb-front.png.thumb.1280.1280.png

Last edited:
My Samsung card is now old and there is probably a better model.

However, here is a link I posted some time ago with my card and its diagnostics:

Whilst you've gone the recommended high endurance, that card is only a U1.

Yes, it’s a U1. I did read on the U3, but came to the conclusion from reading several articles that between the U1 & U3, that the U1 would be sufficient for my needs.

I did a double check on the GPS connection last night, to make sure everything was snug and connected.

One note to add, would be that I did add the ‘EVA foam’ (before the issue of the unit not powering on), to mitigate any vibrations to the top of the dash-cam that sits between the GPS mounted connection. With the ‘EVA foam’, the connection is definitely a bit more snug.

Just adding any possible relevant information that I remember that could possibly be a contributing factor.

Tyestick you mentioned EVA foam on the A119 V3. Does the A119 V3 have the same loose condition as the A119 V1 and V2?
So how many here that have A119 V3 use the foam spacer to make a tight connection while in the Viofo window mount?

Tyestick you mentioned EVA foam on the A119 V3. Does the A119 V3 have the same loose condition as the A119 V1 and V2?
So how many here that have A119 V3 use the foam spacer to make a tight connection while in the Viofo window mount?
Not me.

I put the foam on my V3, because they supplied it, and never had a problem, so far.

I put the foam on my V3, because they supplied it, and never had a problem, so far.
Yes I noticed that it is included in blackboxmycar.com (whats included) list
Thanks we will see if I need it or not but I'm sure it will make a snugger fit and less movement on those bumpy roads.

Thanks I figured they got that corrected with the newer gps contact points.
I never had the previous version so I don't know, but mine definitely isn't loose so I suggest you look after the foam in case it is needed after you have fitted and removed the camera 1000 times. The A129 mount is definitely nicer, but I can't say that it works any better.

I added the foam for two reasons. One being that it was supplied with the kit.

Reason two, is that my car is equipped with a stiff suspension, and I wanted to limit the amount of any vibration through video playback.

I wouldn’t be able to give you a valid mounting comparison with the V1 & V2 as I don’t have experience with previous VIOFO models.

Back