VIOFO A119 V3

Hey guys.

First of all i'd like to thank you, vvs49, for your effort and your FW. :cool:
Unfortunately yours doesn't fix my flickering and horizontale lines in the darkness issue for good either. :banghead:
It's definitely much better but still very annoying and a no go for me. :meh:
Especially knowing that there are cams with no issues at all. :grumpy:
I stick to my guessing that my cam's defective. :wacky:
To be specific about the modded FW (with MY dashcam!):

@1440p30
- The quality/sharpness in the dark is the best so far. :woot:(y)
- Readability of licence plates at night is similar to both of the "official" work in progress FW 2.1 builds, though now and then i felt it was slightly better with the "original" ones. :unsure:
- Due to the fact that there's no way of disabling HDR in the modded FW the readability of license plates during daytime is way better with the "original" FW 2.1

Again: This is only with MY cam! :finger:
I'll post some comparison footage asap.

Today i returned both cams. Whenever there'll be no more issues wiith this cam, maybe i'll give it another try.

Thanks again and have fun with the working cams. :happy:

Your flickering is only during night and only when using 60FPS?

enjoy,
Mtz

Your flickering is only during night and only when using 60FPS?

enjoy,
Mtz
Whenever it's dark and I'm using 60 fps and/or WDR/HDR the picture is flickering.
With WDR/HDR very often there are horizontale lines across the picture as well.
But I noticed both issues with 30 fps as well. Not often but it definitely happened.
I'm still on vacation with my kids.
As soon as I can spare some time I'll upload a few more clips and maybe a few photos as well.

Have a great weekend everyone.

That sound much as a problem with the camera, maybe the sensor / sensor cable.

You need to lower the cam to get more of the road?

You need to lower the cam to get more of the road?
This is not my video, it showed an illustrative example of how it looks.

I have the same issue with 3 different A119v3 on 3 different cars. My friend has the same camera and same issue. It started with the 2.0 firmware and it's way worse with 60fps or HDR on. It is a software problem, not a problem with the car or power delivery.

The flickering issue for 60FPS will be solved soon, the fix should come from Sony company. Also the HDR problem will be automatically solved because the HDR image is using 60FPS too.
HDR and 60FPS should not be offered at the same time in camera settings, but only HDR and 30FPS because each 30FPS HDR frame is obtained from two separate frames, this means the camera is recording in reality at 60FPS even the video is stored as 30FPS.

On the other hand, 60FPS is not adding any value to a dashcam image, maybe it used for sales purposes.

My question was for @Dash_vs_Evil .

enjoy,
Mtz

the fix should come from Sony company.

That explains a lot. Thanks for keeping us informed @Mtz (y) Now I'm wondering if another cam's vid problems arise from it's different sensor/CMOS too. One would never think to look there to find the source of such problems.

Phil

The flickering issue for 60FPS will be solved soon, the fix should come from Sony company. Also the HDR problem will be automatically solved because the HDR image is using 60FPS too.
HDR and 60FPS should not be offered at the same time in camera settings, but only HDR and 30FPS because each 30FPS HDR frame is obtained from two separate frames, this means the camera is recording in reality at 60FPS even the video is stored as 30FPS.

On the other hand, 60FPS is not adding any value to a dashcam image, maybe it used for sales purposes.

My question was for @Dash_vs_Evil .

enjoy,
Mtz
Thanx a lot for the detailed update.
But I have to disagree regarding your statement that 60fps isn't adding any value to the picture.
As long as it's bright enough outside and HDR is disabled the picture looks way smoother with 60fps compared to 30fps.
At least with my cam.... ex-cam.
One main feature why I bought the Viofo in the first place.

I'll follow this thread and as soon as there's a fix for good.......

Same here, I've compared the same roads, time, lighting, speed and 60 is smoother.

Whenever it's dark and I'm using 60 fps and/or WDR/HDR the picture is flickering.

Now the problem occurs even with the modified firmware. But I will keep this and not downgrade to 1.03, because the visibility of number plates in the darkness is really awesome compared to the original firmware. I hope there will be a fix soon from Viofo.

I tried this modded firmware and found that my camera recorded only 2 clips. 1 regular clip from after it updated and before my car powered off, and 1 in parking mode. Then it had apparently frozen and missed about 3 hours of driving today. When I checked the camera it was nonresponsive. Not sure if it's a problem with the mod or the 2.1 it's based on, but I've never had a problem with parking mode or with it freezing before. I had factory reset after updating and then set all my settings up basically the same as they were before. Anyone else run into this or was this a fluke?

Edit: Just went out there and it was frozen again. Clearly something is up... not sure what though.

Edit2: It's doing this if parking mode is set to "Auto Event Detection". If I set it to constant "Low Bit Rate Recording" it doesn't lock up. A little annoying because I prefer to use the auto event detection, but it is what it is i guess.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, what kind of flickers are you talking about?
A colleague from Romania sent me a video on my firmware, see if there is any flicker there ???

Just look at my video. Horizontal black stripes.
Just wondering if we are viewing this correctly, how did you get it from the original file onto Youtube? I assume it is not the original file dropped onto Youtube...

Just wondering if we are viewing this correctly, how did you get it from the original file onto Youtube? I assume it is not the original file dropped onto Youtube...
Of course its not the original file. I uploaded it to youtube, and youtube compresses it. But that does not matter because you can see the horizontal black stripes in this youtube video as well as in the original file. And if you compare it to the others videos I uploaded, you will see that the flickering (stripes) occurs in the origibal firmware and in the modded one when 60fps is enabled.
Where is the problem?

Back