VIOFO A119 V3

Of course its not the original file. I uploaded it to youtube, and youtube compresses it. But that does not matter because you can see the horizontal black stripes in this youtube video as well as in the original file. And if you compare it to the others videos I uploaded, you will see that the flickering (stripes) occurs in the origibal firmware and in the modded one when 60fps is enabled.
Where is the problem?
I know youtube recompresses it, but did you give youtube the original, or did you also recompress it before before giving it to youtube?

It looks to me like your processing before giving it to youtube may be partially responsible...

I know youtube recompresses it, but did you give youtube the original, or did you also recompress it before before giving it to youtube?

It looks to me like your processing before giving it to youtube may be partially responsible...
I can assure you that the stripes your seeing are the same as in the original file.
Any processing or compression has nothing to do with it.
I got even worse stripes now and then.
Not specifically with the Mod but the stripes are real.
I'll prepare some more footage myself and upload it asap.

Have a nice one.

Any processing or compression has nothing to do with it.
I'm sure the stripes are in the original, but if they are being processed then it is quite possible that the processing is making what was a little noise in the original look look much more obvious. There is certainly a difference between what vvs49 is posting and what petrlustich has posted, there must be an explanation.

Here you go:

When testing FW 1.03 I totally forgot to save the 1440p clips. But I can assure you once again, that it's the same like with 720p or 1080p.
The MP4 files are the originals.
The MOV files have only be trimmed with Dashcam Viewer.
No difference to the originals regarding the issues.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: I added a file in the Mod Folder regarding reading license plates in daylight conditions though it wasn't that sunny outside. Feel free to give some feedback if you can read the plates in similar conditions. Maybe this is another issue only with some cams.

Last edited:
I'm sure the stripes are in the original, but if they are being processed then it is quite possible that the processing is making what was a little noise in the original look look much more obvious. There is certainly a difference between what vvs49 is posting and what petrlustich has posted, there must be an explanation.

I'm pretty sure you'll agree that YouTube didn't make any of the picture problems worse after watching my clips. ;)

I'm pretty sure you'll agree that YouTube didn't make any of the picture problems worse after watching my clips. ;)
I downloaded your processed 1080p60 (WDR off).mov, it looks terrible!

I downloaded 20201013210834_000026.MP4 which you say is original and it looks much like vvs49's video!
OK, it is not perfect, but it is nothing like the processed file.

20201013210906_000027.MP4 doesn't look bad either, although there is some flicker, what sort of headlights do you have? And have you tried it with a different light source?

I downloaded your processed 1080p60 (WDR off).mov, it looks terrible!

I downloaded 20201013210834_000026.MP4 which you say is original and it looks much like vvs49's video!
OK, it is not perfect, but it is nothing like the processed file.
Yep, terrible is one way to describe it. :inpain:
Like i said, with vvs49's FW (thank you very much again for your effort) the picture looks waaay better but the probs are still there.
Unfortunately you can't force it.
Those clips are only some examples.
By the way all the flickering and stripes can be seen on the screen as well while recording.
Dunno if that's been stated before.

I'm out for today.
Take care guys.

20201013210906_000027.MP4 doesn't look bad either, although there is some flicker, what sort of headlights do you have? And have you tried it with a different light source?
If you compare the 4 clips at night you see what i meant.
1. Clip driving: Quality gets worse towards the end
2. Clip driving: Bad quality varies right from the beginning
3. and 4. Clip parking: Not that bad quality but still not comparable to what i've seen otherwise.

I'm driving a Megane Grand Tour with standard lights.
No LEDs or whatsoever.
To be honest a camera/lense should work regardless the lights in the car, especially with standard lights.
It didn't matter where i was driving.
Through a well lit city or on a country road wit no lights at all.
The problems were coming and going.

By the way the probs occured even in my office or with my headlights off.
So i did try it with different light sources if that counts. ;)

What interests me the most is why all this is happening only with some cams.
So far VIOFO didn't say anything about changed parts in newer cams or anything like that.

But i'm exited if VIOFO/Sony can fix this for good soon.

Something is definitely wrong. I looked at the 20201013210906_000027.MP4 and as Nigel said, that's the best of the bunch. That 2.1 Viofo file is pixelated and seems to be getting brighter and darker in patches.

It's almost like the power source isn't smooth. What is your power device ?

As a test, have you tried recording indoors from a mobile phone wall charger in a darkened room ? Just plugging it in should fire it off like turning on the ignition.

I'm one of the ones without a problem and I'm probably unique in that I'm using a Nextbase MK1 hardwire kit because when I switched from Nextbase to Viofo the adapter was the same.

That 2.1 Viofo file is pixelated and seems to be getting brighter and darker in patches.
Yes, that one does show an issue which seems a little beyond acceptable noise even though there is a decent amount of light from the headlights. Have to remember that image sensors are analogue and are never perfectly noise free, especially in the dark, and do have some variation between samples. People used to complain a lot about hot pixels on some cameras, I think this is probably similar.

On the plus side, there are very few dashcams that would have read that plate while doing 81, most would struggle in daylight!
1603266151326.png

Something is definitely wrong. I looked at the 20201013210906_000027.MP4 and as Nigel said, that's the best of the bunch. That 2.1 Viofo file is pixelated and seems to be getting brighter and darker in patches.

It's almost like the power source isn't smooth. What is your power device ?

As a test, have you tried recording indoors from a mobile phone wall charger in a darkened room ? Just plugging it in should fire it off like turning on the ignition.

I'm one of the ones without a problem and I'm probably unique in that I'm using a Nextbase MK1 hardwire kit because when I switched from Nextbase to Viofo the adapter was the same.
When doing the unboxing and first test run in my office I used the official USB Cable connected to my Computer.
In the car I used the official USB cable connected to the integrated USB Port in the car.
The effects were the same.
Due to the fact that different firmwares showed different results I'm sceptical that the power source is the solution.
But who knows.....

Yes, that one does show an issue which seems a little beyond acceptable noise even though there is a decent amount of light from the headlights. Have to remember that image sensors are analogue and are never perfectly noise free, especially in the dark, and do have some variation between samples. People used to complain a lot about hot pixels on some cameras, I think this is probably similar.

On the plus side, there are very few dashcams that would have read that plate while doing 81, most would struggle in daylight!
View attachment 53704
That's true. The noise level or picture clarity, even in bright daylight it appeared to me from time to time, wasn't quite as good as the footage I saw online.
My point is I know how it can look and I just want the same quality.
That's why I returned my cams.

Using the modded FW you can't disable HDR.
That's why I could generally read the license plates at night but not at daytime.
But from what I read so far that's been a problem with every FW as long as WDR/HDR is enabled.
Readability at daytime is really bad and at night it's the only way to read plates at all.

Gentlemen, what kind of flickers are you talking about?
A colleague from Romania sent me a video on my firmware, see if there is any flicker there ???
Why do the pixel values in that file and others never go below 12?

It is a full range file and some do go up to 255, it seems a bit of the sensor noise on noiser sensors may be being amplified into the clearly visible brightnesses when it should be down in values around 1 and 2 and be almost invisible...

Try running off the included power supply, computer USB output is too low and built in USB ports in cars aren't any better
Absolutely. It has long been known that the A119 and subsequent Viofo cams need a more robust power source than usual, which is supplied with the cams so use them.

Phil

Back