Viofo A119S videos

It's not entirely true, GPS receiver CAN interfere between themselves.

I see 4 interference mechanism :
- GPS receivers are just receivers however they may leak signals through the antenna due to the way the reception works. Because GPS signals are so low power, the high gain of the GPS receivers may amplify the noise from the other GPS receiver and this may be a problem (look for LO interference and LO receiver leakeage on Google, LO = Local Oscillator)
- GPS receivers are electronic devices and as any electronic device they broadcast some electromagnetic noise. Intermodulation may generate frequencies with a frequency very close to the GPS signals, making reception difficult. Some receivers feature anti-jamming algorithms that might mitigate this, but if the noise levels are very high they could saturate the radio front-end and no amount of calculation will be able to remove this noise. This is explained very well here : https://www.u-blox.com/sites/defaul...blox-AntiJamming_WhitePaper_(GPS-X-09008).pdf
It is hence possible that one dashcam produces noise that the other dashcam cannot remove
- Multipath and interference (in wave propagation theory) can be an issue and the signals bouncing from nearby objects around the GPS receiver can cancel each other, creating a small dark spot where the antenna of the victim GPS receiver is placed
- GPS signals are very low power and the antenna needs to be tuned properly so that the signals are receiver properly. Placing any object too close from a GPS antenna may de-tune it. This is the least likely interference mechanism but think about it when installing a GPS receiver.

We're talking about dashcams here where GPS performance is not really important, but if you start comparing GPS performance it is not that easy to do it properly. Do not underestimate environmental factors. Just changing the location of a GPS receiver inside a car can affect its performance. Most of the time there is no problem but it can be surprising.

My day job is to design GPS devices for cars so I unfortunately know too well that many things can go wrong. Recent GPS receivers are much less sensitive to interference than older ones but as we don't know what's inside the dashcams we can't assume they have good antijamming.

With that being said, I do not see any issue with the GPS in the Viofo A119 or A119S. Just wanted to give people a heads up that testing GPS receiver properly is not as easy as putting them next to each other and comparing the output. This A119S dashcam seems outstanding.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Can't say I would be unhappy with either one. How much brightness is due to the sensor, I don't know. At 10 sec the A119 night sample had the car on the right more "green" than the A119s. The car in front was also more "white" with the A119s. Its almost a colour thing than a brightness thing.

It's not entirely true, GPS receiver CAN interfere between themselves.

I completely agree with you. I did comment Nigel's statement as he suggested that it's a GPS receiver which actually broadcast GPS signal. At least I understood it this way and felt need to correct it.

@viofo where is Starvis' night mode in A119S? Will you implement it in fw in the future?

@viofo where is Starvis' night mode in A119S? Will you implement it in fw in the future?
After we tested so much sensor, I can not call it Starivis, even OV4689 declared it have starvis night mode.
There is potential for IMX291, maybe more brighter and more hot pixel at night.

Reactions: Mtz
Is very possible Starvis Mode to not be possible to be used on a dashcam. But maybe by a smart firmware to be implemented only in Parking Mode when cars headlights are off and only some street lights are on.
Here is a video about how I imagine Starvis Mode to work depending on car headlights on and off:

Such mode as above can not work in real life for a dashcam because the street lights near streets are always changing.

enjoy,
Mtz

Is very possible Starvis Mode to not be possible to be used on a dashcam. But maybe by a smart firmware to be implemented only in Parking Mode when cars headlights are off and only some street lights are on.
Here is a video about how I imagine Starvis Mode to work depending on car headlights on and off:

Such mode as above can not work in real life for a dashcam because the street lights near streets are always changing.

enjoy,
Mtz

From what I gather the Starvis technology means:
  • BSI sensor (ov4689 is also BSI) which helps increase light gathering ability.
  • Increased sensitivity at near-IR range
  • Auto ICR (ir-cut filter removal). I'm not sure if this is specific to cctv applications with a mechanical filter?

Could be useful. Start at 3:00 :D

I did pay attentions that you was comparing video, so I though it was a some kind of reflection in the lower screen in the beginning.:oops:

A reflection like this?
How my dashcam works.jpg
:eek:

enjoy,
Mtz

Any A119S vs SG9665GC side by side comparison videos?
vs. the SG9665GC V3 would be even better.

It looks like the S is using a much higher ISO only when in low light. With headlights on they look the same so there isn't much advantage...

Any A119S vs SG9665GC side by side comparison videos?
vs. the SG9665GC V3 would be even better.
Man, right now maybe I am the only one in the world which have an A119S and I don't have the SG9665GC V3. Maybe jokiin can obtain it too so he can make such comparison, but I think he will not make such thing because he is representing Street Guardian.
You need to wait maybe 3-4 weeks to obtain such comparison.

enjoy,
Mtz

It looks like the S is using a much higher ISO only when in low light. With headlights on they look the same so there isn't much advantage...
Hopefully it is using a much higher ISO all the time so that when the headlights are on it can use a shorter exposure time and thus give less motion blur at all times.

I just got speachless (muted?) by a dashcam:

enjoy,
Mtz
So from this example, assuming most people drive with their lights on :), there is not much difference. Also, the resolution on A119 should be set to 1440p as this would give the most detail.
I understand you want to do a fair comparison but running A119 at 1080 will put it at a disadvantage.

At the start of this thread and on my channel there are already some comparisons day and night in normal conditions of A119S. We can say that is not a big difference between A119 and A119S in normal conditions. But for sure the IMX291 have the white balance I always wanted since already old Itronics ITB-100HD (top) and for me this is the winning point I waited 3 years:

This IMX291 will offer new opportunities for future dashcams, we will see in 2017.

I am still thinking if I had a larger display to look at it if I could drive the car with lights off better than using my eyes.

Max resolution for A119S is Full HD so I wanted a fair comparison.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back