Viofo A119S with F1.2 lens

WAIT, WHAT?? It has AV out???

:bag:

Found it, WOW, never noticed that.... How can that happen?

Anyway, my A119S didn't come with an AV cable..... Is that optional?

Don't think they offer a cable but it's nothing unusual, plenty of other cables available that can be used

Is the video output good enough for focusing?

I dunno... haven't got the cable, so.... depends on AV OUT resolution .... if it's 720p, it should be.

It's not ideal but it should work. It will depend a bit on the monitor one uses. I often use an old 720p 7 inch LCD TV to focus the Mobius out in the field. Analogue AV out from the camera into a low rez TV can be a bit of a challenge but if you focus on some high contrast objects it gets the job done. You may recall the Mobius varifocal lens bird photos or macro insect footage I shot. I used the 7 inch monitor with AV out from the Mobius for focusing with excellent results.

@dirkzelf, as @Harsh just mentioned, it's SD (analogue) but as I mentioned, it gets the job done. The AV out from the A119 should work the same.

pod_set-up.jpg

I've wanted to try the telephoto's on the A119 and A119S for a while now and with the new 8 and 12mm being so much better than the previous ones, I wonder how they'll look with these two cameras, especially the A119S.

Nice set up! I could hook it up to my television but the maximum distance I can focus indoors is 25 feet. Not going to invest in a portable screen just for focusing, will stick with the Mobius cams.

Last edited:
I've wanted to try the telephoto's on the A119 and A119S for a while now and with the new 8 and 12mm being so much better than the previous ones, I wonder how they'll look with these two cameras, especially the A119S.

Nice set up! I could hook it up to my television but the maximum distance I can focus indoors is 25 feet. Not going to invest in a portable screen just for focusing, will stick with the Mobius cams.

Can you point the camera out a window? When I focus the Mobius varifocal for dash cam use I stand at the window pointing the camera at some trees and shrubs using a 15 foot USB cable into my computer monitor and look at it from across the room as I focus.

Out the window won't work as from the lower floors all you can see are houses and higher up only treetops (right outside the window). I focus the Mobius cameras from the balcony or from the terrace/roof.

Reactions: gse
Out the window won't work as from the lower floors all you can see are houses and higher up only treetops (right outside the window). I focus the Mobius cameras from the balcony or from the terrace/roof.

That's too bad. I know what it feels like actually because even focusing out my window is not ideal. It would be better if I could focus in an environment where there are other cars and maybe streets or roads. What I really have wanted is a high resolution 5 or 7 Inch 1920 x 1200 field monitor which would open up all kinds of photographic possibilities including using it with a DSLR but it's not quite in the budget at the moment. :( Interestingly, the prices of some of these units have been coming down to where you can buy a decent one for a couple of hundred dollars. There's even one that will do 4K in that price range.

What's that like? 720, 480? What cable do I look for?

480 (SD), just a regular AV cable, 3 pin to yellow and white RCA connectors, the format isn't really a standard so you may find the video is on the wrong RCA with some cables

might work, they're not all wired the same unfortunately, as long as you have the plug and some cables you can always rewire it if need be

This one? 3.5mm to tv cable.
might work, they're not all wired the same unfortunately, as long as you have the plug and some cables you can always rewire it if need be
Yes, all AV cables are not wired the same. Here's a link to a thread with wiring info for the A119: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/video-cable.21275/#post-298099. You can google for cables compatible with the Apple ibook AV cable. Others will work if the inner pin on the 4-pin 3.5mm plug (ground) is connected to all the RCA plug coaxial shields. I have the actual Apple cable. It is wired correctly but the backshell was too big to fit the depression around the A119 AV output jack, so I had to modify it.

Last edited:
Here is my setup with video out: picture quality is not one of the best...

Attachments

• 2018-06-05 10-41-28.JPG
    2018-06-05 10-41-28.JPG
    356.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 2018-06-05 10-42-05.JPG
    2018-06-05 10-42-05.JPG
    356.9 KB · Views: 36
Thanks guys, I think I'll just stick with the display for focussing, it does work after all. What I don't understand is, that with all the different AV out cables available, @viofo or @VIOFO_Support don't provide, or at least ADVISE a ready to use cable for the output they provide on their own dashcam?!?!?!

:banghead:

:grumpy:

F1.6 f2.9 = 120° horizontally
I adjust the lens in a street picture, at infinity.
Turn on the BP for recording while aligning, turn the lens, for example, to the right, say in the ear 1 on the right (1 = 1 mm to the right) from the center mark on the holder, etc., I think you will not go more than two in both directions, snapshots of each episode, compare, choose the best, for example, 0.5 to the right, turn the lens to this mark, check again, fix a drop of nail polish.

13179485.jpg13179491.jpg13179516.jpg

A119S_120°_metal holder and wide-angle lens..jpg

Back