VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

I have all glass windows tinted and am actually off to the tint installer today to have the cameras removed "properly" with heat hoping that it won't destroy the tint. It has just been one week so they said that I should bring it in asap so that the mounts are still "fresh" so that they can still be removed.

Are those ARKON suction mounts the best there is to it?

For the front camera, I thought I need to aim the camera more downward so that I can see more of my hood? What would aiming it upward achieve?

I do have my rear camera placed in between grid lines. I can't put it high up because it catches the center brake light on top so I had to skip one grid line space from the top.

So that mod is recommended for any type of tint?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If the cameras are already mounted on the tint with the 3M adhesive, I am not sure what to recommend. You might just be stuck leaving them as they are at this point. Because removal risks damaging the tint and breaking grid lines on rear defrost (if the rear camera is sitting on any grid lines).

The ARKON suction mount is very sturdy. I have ZERO vibration and the mount can be placed in any direction you see fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FGI9R0
See

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. Now, I'm definitely sold! Is this the best suction cup I can get though?

I just had both cameras (with the 3M VHB mount) removed without any issues. All they used was dental floss and some patience. No damage to the tint at all! The front cam was even mounted to the frit area with tint. I guess it was easy to remove because it's practically just one week old. My rear camera was not in the grid lines so all good.

Thanks for the pics. Now, I'm definitely sold! Is this the best suction cup I can get though?

I just had both cameras (with the 3M VHB mount) removed without any issues. All they used was dental floss and some patience. No damage to the tint at all! The front cam was even mounted to the frit area with tint. I guess it was easy to remove because it's practically just one week old. My rear camera was not in the grid lines so all good.

This is a very good and sturdy mount. Not tested in Summer, because it's winter right now. But I have had 0 trouble with these suction cups. And the adjustable mechanism is very sturdy.

Glad cameras could be removed without causing damage.

This is a very good and sturdy mount. Not tested in Summer, because it's winter right now. But I have had 0 trouble with these suction cups. And the adjustable mechanism is very sturdy.

Glad cameras could be removed without causing damage.
My only worry is if the suction can be mounted without any issues in the dotted frit area. I'm reading that it will have issues.

And I guess there'd be no issues with the suction going over the grid lines in the back? It's not like you have a choice but I had to ask.

My only worry is if the suction can be mounted without any issues in the dotted frit area. I'm reading that it will have issues.

And I guess there'd be no issues with the suction going over the grid lines in the back? It's not like you have a choice but I had to ask.

Not sure you are using the proper word. What is the doted "frit" area? Please clarify.

Suction cup will not damage grid lines. There's really no way to avoid mounting camera on the grid with a suction cup. As I stated, you either mount camera between grid lines and plan on never removing because you have tint. Or the suction cup option is the only secondary choice. But yes, you will see the grid lines as you record.

Not sure you are using the proper word. What is the doted "frit" area? Please clarify.

Suction cup will not damage grid lines. There's really no way to avoid mounting camera on the grid with a suction cup. As I stated, you either mount camera between grid lines and plan on never removing because you have tint. Or the suction cup option is the only secondary choice. But yes, you will see the grid lines as you record.
The proper term for the black dotted area in the top of a windshielf is frit.

Yes, that's what I thought. I'm buying the Arkon suction cup for both cameras now. Thanks for the suggestion, btw.

Last edited:

Yes, that's what I thought. I'm buying the Arkon suction cup for both cameras now. Thanks for the suggestion, btw.

The proper frit should be a problem since it should be porous so that the glue that holds the windscreen on the car can get a good hold of the glass, you can't use a suction cup on a porous surface. The black dots used as sunscreen may be OK since they are only there as sunscreen and do not need to be porous, they do mean the glass surface isn't perfectly flat though so a poor quality suction cup may be affected.

The proper frit should be a problem since it should be porous so that the glue that holds the windscreen on the car can get a good hold of the glass, you can't use a suction cup on a porous surface. The black dots used as sunscreen may be OK since they are only there as sunscreen and do not need to be porous, they do mean the glass surface isn't perfectly flat though so a poor quality suction cup may be affected.
How do I know if it's a proper frit or not? As far as I know, the frit on my windshield is just there as a sunscreen.

How do I know if it's a proper frit or not? As far as I know, the frit on my windshield is just there as a sunscreen.

The stuff around the edge must be proper frit or your windscreen would fall out!

If you run your fingernail over the dots and they feel like glassy smooth bumps rather than rough bumps then the suction cup will probably stick, jokiin's test is a better one though!

I have mine mounted on the glass. Not on the Frit. Can't comment about how the suction cup works there.

Stick a suction cup on and see what happens

I just did. I'm not seeing it falling and it looks sturdy. You think I'm good or should I give it a few hours just to be sure?

The stuff around the edge must be proper frit or your windscreen would fall out!

If you run your fingernail over the dots and they feel like glassy smooth bumps rather than rough bumps then the suction cup will probably stick, jokiin's test is a better one though!

I don't have the dots on the edges of the windshield. I only have them in the top center which says that they only act as a sunvisor. At least that's how I see them.

Yes, they feel like glass smooth bumps and they're also covered by the tint that I have.

Dashcams are designed to record accident and crash evidence. The A129 mount with 3M adhesive and improved 4-clip designed provide stable and secure attachment to windshield and position Lens as close to window for less reflections and improved image. During a serious crash event which mounting system would stay attached to windshield - firm 3M adhesive windshield mount or weak suction mount?

Tinted windows reduce image quality, why worry about rear window grid lines when quality is already affected by Tint. Just attach the supplied 3M mounts. I've attached and removed the 3M adhesive Mounts for 3 different Rear Cameras 3 times on a defrost grid rear window with no issues. The mounts never covered any grid lines and all removed while Sun warmed the adhesive and simply twist off.

The vibrations transferred by those suction mounts shown above will greatly increase motion blurring especially in low light conditions.

Reactions: DMW
Dashcams are designed to record accident and crash evidence. The A129 mount with 3M adhesive and improved 4-clip designed provide stable and secure attachment to windshield and position Lens as close to window for less reflections and improved image. During a serious crash event which mounting system would stay attached to windshield - firm 3M adhesive windshield mount or weak suction mount?

Tinted windows reduce image quality, why worry about rear window grid lines when quality is already affected by Tint. Just attach the supplied 3M mounts. I've attached and removed the 3M adhesive Mounts for 3 different Rear Cameras 3 times on a defrost grid rear window with no issues. The mounts never covered any grid lines and all removed while Sun warmed the adhesive and simply twist off.

The vibrations transferred by those suction mounts shown above will greatly increase motion blurring especially in low light conditions.
Ok, now I got more confused if I should go with a suction cup mount or not. That's a high quality mount and does not give out vibration. I also doubt the mount with be displaced during a crash because of how strong it is.

The only thing I'm worried about is how it makes the camera lens farther away from the glass.

Ok, now I got more confused if I should go with a suction cup mount or not. That's a high quality mount and does not give out vibration. I also doubt the mount with be displaced during a crash because of how strong it is.

The only thing I'm worried about is how it makes the camera lens farther away from the glass.

This thread has limited readership since its mainly about Modified Firmware. The only way to detect vibration is by watching recorded video and it will be very noticable at highway speeds and on rough roads.
I suggest you move your queries about Mounts to the regular A129 thread where more will see it and offer better advice.

If the cameras are already mounted on the tint with the 3M adhesive, I am not sure what to recommend. You might just be stuck leaving them as they are at this point. Because removal risks damaging the tint and breaking grid lines on rear defrost (if the rear camera is sitting on any grid lines).

The ARKON suction mount is very sturdy. I have ZERO vibration and the mount can be placed in any direction you see fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FGI9R0
See

View attachment 45335
This specific 3rd party suction mount may attach well to window but that platform acts exactly like a diving spring board and will absolutely cause video vibration.
The heavier the camera the greater vibration. I doubt many A129 or other Dash Camera owners would use this product. Post this photo in main A129 thread for opinions.

1. I've offered my recommendations. I have zero vibrations. But the choice is yours.
  2. @BCHobbyist is right. We are monopolizing his thread on Modded Firmwares. This place isn't appropriate for this discussion.

I intended to answer your question, but not take over his thread.

This specific 3rd party suction mount may attach well to window but that platform acts exactly like a diving spring board and will absolutely cause video vibration.
The heavier the camera the greater vibration. I doubt many A129 or other Dash Camera owners would use this product. Post this photo in main A129 thread for opinions.

Sorry. I intended to answer his questions. Not sidetrack your thread on modded firmwares.

Back