VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

I totally agree. I'll probably create another thread. Sorry for hijacking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Created new A129 - STABLE MOD versions 9Up, 8Up, 7Up, 6Up, 5Up, 4Up, 2Up
DOWNLOAD >
https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html
The Up series MODs are designed to enhance Color and increase low light Brightness, reduced Sharpness to an acceptable level for both Lens types (hopefully). Decided to redesign and simplify the A129 Download website. View the ChangeLog page for full details.
The vivid Color enhancement has room to increase without affecting the slightly reduced Sharpness. If you like vivid colors give this MOD a test drive.
Download the A129's new Vivid color MODs in the Bitrate of your choice 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 Mb/s. Recommend 24 Mb/s for reduced file size or 26 Mb/s for improved image quality.
Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.

---
A129 Duo Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com/
MOD Install Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/
Dashcam Advice: https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/

DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

Last edited:
Ok so I borrowed the CPL from my friend and tried it on my front camera and boy how right you guys are regarding the rainbow effect.

@BCHobbyist, do you think a modded firmware with 100% brightness for both front and rear cameras is the way to go for tinted glasses? What parking mode is included with your modified firmwares?

Ok so I borrowed the CPL from my friend and tried it on my front camera and boy how right you guys are regarding the rainbow effect.

@BCHobbyist, do you think a modded firmware with 100% brightness for both front and rear cameras is the way to go for tinted glasses? What parking mode is included with your modified firmwares?

Upping the bitrate on the front camera did not play nice with the tint, especially at night. Not sure what adjustments can be made.

Upping the bitrate on the front camera did not play nice with the tint, especially at night. Not sure what adjustments can be made.

Do you know as the reason why it doesn't work nice though?

Also, is it normal to not clearly see the license plates of the car in the opposite lane while driving?

Also, is it normal to not clearly see the license plates of the car in the opposite lane while driving?

At night, I noticed trees had a "ghosting black appearance". And objects appeared darker. @BCHobbyist explained that the default firmware and stock settings lean heavily on high sharpness. This appears to be the best balance to capture through tint.

My rear window is 80% tint (lets in 20% light) So the camera has trouble picking up much of anything at night unless I am in the city. On the highway I see headlights with a circular affect...Even in city at night but less so... This is complicated by my brake light which is mounted at the top and shines a red reflection onto the tint.

Can't use a CPL on the rear glass, as per the Halo effect during the daytime.

The picture on my rear glass would probably be somewhat better if the camera was mounted to the glass with the 3M adhesive, instead of the suction cup. As there wouldn't be a gap between windshield and camera. However, we've discussed this and not going into that again.

Ultimately, tint creates a barrier because the inherent purpose is to block light. And by doing so, the camera has access to less lighting to see surroundings.

At night, I noticed trees had a "ghosting black appearance". And objects appeared darker. @BCHobbyist explained that the default firmware and stock settings lean heavily on high sharpness. This appears to be the best balance to capture through tint.

My rear window is 80% tint (lets in 20% light) So the camera has trouble picking up much of anything at night unless I am in the city. On the highway I see headlights. this is complicated by my brake light which is mounted at the top and shines a red reflection onto the tint.

The picture on my rear glass would probably be somewhat better if the camera was mounted to the glass with the 3M adhesive, instead of the suction cup. As there wouldn't be a gap between windshield and camera. However, we've discussed this and not going into that again.

Ultimately, tint creates a barrier because the inherent purpose is to block light. And by doing so, the camera has access to less lighting to see surroundings.

Ok, gotcha. My front windshield is also 80% tint but my rear window is 95% tint so I guess my rear cam's picture quality is worse than yours. And yes, I also have the brake light mounted on top so I can see the red lights every time I depress the brakes.

Do you have any idea as to why I can't read license plates in my front camera picture when these cars aren't directly in front?

Ok, gotcha. My front windshield is also 80% tint but my rear window is 95% tint so I guess my rear cam's picture quality is worse than yours. And yes, I also have the brake light mounted on top so I can see the red lights every time I depress the brakes.

Do you have any idea as to why I can't read license plates in my front camera picture when these cars aren't directly in front?

1. Daytime is fine on tint, as I am sure you'll observe. As even though tint cuts out the light, there is enough to illuminate the surroundings. Of course, the CPL creates a nasty halo effect I mentioned, making its use impractical.

2. Nightime quality in the front is "OK". I get a circular effect where my headlight shines and then an outer, darker, area. Rear, as stated is pretty poor at night because headlights make a Halo Circular effect. City wise, I can see streets, but definitely not read plates unless they are on top of my vehicle at night. With all the limitations I described above.

3. Rear brake light problem sucks. No solution. The read shines across all corners of the window.

4. Do you mean unable to read license plates in the daytime? or at nighttime? On the front camera.

In daytime, my picture quality is fine for both front and rear. At night, the front also suffers from similar issues than rear. But I can generally read license plates from front camera. I'm guessing because your tint is just so dark, there isn't enough illumination to create a "clear picture".

Not sure any amount of tweaking from @BCHobbyist can overcome these limitations. We have tint to keep out the light and the tint is doing the job properly. At the behest of clear video from the dash camera, because lighting is affected.

Pretty much only real solution is to remove tint and have a "factory windshield" or accept the quality because there really isnt going to be a camera that'll do much better with all the described limitations in place.

The A129 Lens and Sensor capture nearby license plates even at highway speeds (pause video) when enough light is available. Cloudy days reduce light levels so camera automatically adjusts many image settings to gather more light which creates motion blur on moving objects. In low light conditions increased motion creates increased motion blur, the darker the scene the greater motion blur on moving objects. The blurrier the image the less detail it contains.
CPL Filter reduces brightness slightly and increases motion blurring in low light conditions especially at night.
Tinted windows reduce brightness and increase motion blurring in all light conditions especially at night.
Vehicles with Tinted windows will always have reduced image quality compared to non-tinted windows.
Tinted window with CPL Filter creates worst image quality, very poor detail, highest motion blur.

Tinted window options include:
  • never use CPL Filter.
  • adjust Lens angle for maximum brightness.
  • set Brightness setting to maximum. (option isn't available 2019/03)
  • load enhanced modified firmware for Tinted windows. (available 2019/04)

The A129 Lens and Sensor capture nearby license plates even at highway speeds (pause video) when enough light is available. Cloudy days reduce light levels so camera automatically adjusts many image settings to gather more light which creates motion blur on moving objects. In low light conditions increased motion creates increased motion blur, the darker the scene the greater motion blur on moving objects. The blurrier the image the less detail it contains.
CPL Filter reduces brightness slightly and increases motion blurring in low light conditions especially at night.
Tinted windows reduce brightness and increase motion blurring in all light conditions especially at night.
Vehicles with Tinted windows will always have reduced image quality compared to non-tinted windows.
Tinted window with CPL Filter creates worst image quality, very poor detail, highest motion blur.

Tinted window options include:
  • never use CPL Filter.
  • adjust Lens angle for maximum brightness.
  • set Brightness setting to maximum. (option isn't available 2019/03)
  • load enhanced modified firmware for Tinted windows. (available 2019/04)
Gotcha.

So the enhanced modified firmware for tinted windows that will be available this coming April will have brightness set to maximum for both front and rear? Also, what parking mode does it have? Does it work with the 3 hardwire kit as well?

Gotcha.

So the enhanced modified firmware for tinted windows that will be available this coming April will have brightness set to maximum for both front and rear? Also, what parking mode does it have? Does it work with the 3 hardwire kit as well?

Brightness MODs adjust Front & Rear separately. Wait till April for both Parking questions, Viofo must release their newest Firmware before the Parking Mode MOD support can be tested.
It can go 3 ways - only Low Bitrate Recording works with MODs , more options suddenly work , no Parking MODs supported.

One thing is for sure, the new "buffered" Parking Mode will be very useful even if it draws more power.

Last edited:
Brightness MODs adjust Front & Rear separately. Wait till April for both Parking questions, Viofo must release their newest Firmware before the Parking Mode MOD support can be tested.
It can go 3 ways - only Low Bitrate Recording works with MODs , more options suddenly work , no Parking MODs supported.

One thing is for sure, the new "buffered" Parking Mode will be very useful even if it draws more power.

Do you intend to do a stock bitrate with Brightness adjusted for Front / Rear? Or what is your chosen course for Tinted Windows?

With the pending A129 official Viofo Firmware release of Buffered Parking feature sometime in April many will be ordering the 3-wire Hardwire Kit and fuse Taps directly from Viofo's website. During this time all Tint and Brightness MODs will be developed using A119S , A119 Pro , A119 Dash Cameras and later applied on A129 Duo.
What changes this new April Firmware has on Bitrate is unknown, what change will be made to Sharpness, Brightness, Saturation control is unknown.
FW 1.60 is coming soon

Firmware FWA129_MOD-9Up_v1.50 + 29F + 15RMbs + Enhanced + DCTeam, when the model stamp is off, the tail remains - .9Up
Is it so conceived?

I have corrected! :)

Attachments

• B.jpg
    B.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: gse
Firmware FWA129_MOD-9Up_v1.50 + 29F + 15RMbs + Enhanced + DCTeam, when the model stamp is off, the tail remains - .9Up
Is it so conceived?

It'll show up until you turn it off in the menu option...Had same bug...Once you shut it off in menu... Other videos will no longer show it after unit is restarted.

Is it so conceived?

The A129 limits the Camera Model Stamp to 10 bytes, my MOD tag exceeds overlay refresh limit.
Workaround is disable Model Stamp then restart dashcam.
Fixed MOD-9Up and will correct remaining Up series tomorrow.

I'm a bit confused. I'm running a version of this modified firmware (can't really tell which version at the moment. Installed it ~mid february).
I installed a hardwire-kit (from Amazon, this kit: https://www.amazon.de/gp/B07C3NGDRC (sry, from german amazon)) and the cam runs fine on battery.
Only is it recording 24/7. Until now i had no issues with a draining battery or something, but this cant be right, can it?
In the menu under parking mode "motion detection" is selected and my sd-card is full of files where nothing happens.

I've read some posts in this thread on parking mode, but the last ones all are about buffered parking mode (whatever that might be :D) so i'm a bit concerned, that one day after not driving for a while my battery might be dead (even if it should stop recording at 11.6v, but you'll never know).

So, what am i doing wrong? :(

I'm a bit confused. I'm running a version of this modified firmware (can't really tell which version at the moment. Installed it ~mid february).
I installed a hardwire-kit (from Amazon, this kit: https://www.amazon.de/gp/B07C3NGDRC (sry, from german amazon)) and the cam runs fine on battery.
Only is it recording 24/7. Until now i had no issues with a draining battery or something, but this cant be right, can it?
In the menu under parking mode "motion detection" is selected and my sd-card is full of files where nothing happens.

I've read some posts in this thread on parking mode, but the last ones all are about buffered parking mode (whatever that might be :D) so i'm a bit concerned, that one day after not driving for a while my battery might be dead (even if it should stop recording at 11.6v, but you'll never know).

So, what am i doing wrong? :(

Turn off Motion Detection and select Low Bitrate Recording on Park Mode. Motion Detection might be way to sensitive and capturing every bird or tree that moves.

Since I speak ZERO GERMAN, I don't know if the hardwire kit you selected has a voltage cutoff.

12.6 = 100% Battery (Brand New Battery). Voltage Cutoffs go in .2 V increments.

12.4= 75% Battery before Shutoff of Camera <-- Use on Brand New Batteries ONLY
12.2 = 50% Battery before shutoff of Camera <-- Most people choose this.

ABSOLUTELY do not select 12.2 V = 25%...Your car may Not even start.

If you have no voltage cutoff, then you need another hardwire kit. As one you got risks draining your battery since there's no signal to tell it when to conserve battery power.

Back