VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

BUG Found and confirmed by @lukasz.pl + @borik + @BCHobbyist
All Modified Firmware with Audio22 create a video timing issue when TS video format is enabled and MIC button is pressed.
Due to this discovery all STABLE and some popular BETA MODs will be replaced with default Audio.
MP4 video format is unaffected, and fully supports Audio22 modification.
Recommend downloading fresh copies of all Oct.6-8 recent STABLE MODs for A119 + A119Pro + A129Duo + A119S

FWA129_MOD-4Ue_v1.42+24Mbps+Sharp123+Edge132+Hue136+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qZ-9HGaIPB0Tj9mxQBU0mHxei2DpU9ur

Last edited:
BUG Found and confirmed by @lukasz.pl + @borik + @BCHobbyist
All Modified Firmware with Audio22 create a video timing issue when TS video format is enabled and MIC button is pressed.
Due to this discovery all STABLE and some popular BETA MODs will be replaced with default Audio.
MP4 video format is unaffected, and fully supports Audio22 modification.
Recommend downloading fresh copies of all Oct.6-8 recent STABLE MODs for A119 + A119Pro + A129Duo + A119S

FWA129_MOD-4Ue_v1.42+24Mbps+Sharp123+Edge132+Hue136+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qZ-9HGaIPB0Tj9mxQBU0mHxei2DpU9ur
Where is the option to select TS format on the A129? Have I been missing something?

It was in the menus Nigel.

Choice in a drop-down list of MP4 or TS.

It was in the menus Nigel.

Choice in a drop-down list of MP4 or TS.
I'll check later, but I don't think I've seen that option on my A129

Just looked. It's on my Duo, not the Pro.

Paul.

1.3 doesn't support .TS. Could be BC modified the newer version from the Polish website.

1.3 doesn't support .TS. Could be BC modified the newer version from the Polish website.
I believe these MODs are based on v1.42?

I re-checked my A129, which is on MOD-4Ue. There's no option for TS file format that I can see.

Where is the option to select TS format on the A129? Have I been missing something?
I've decided to drop all future Audio22/44 modifications to all VIOFO products.
The TS format is problematic in dual camera configuration but works in A129 single mode, either way Audio MOD still affects video timing and no further development is expected.
For End Users seeking ways to maximize image quality and reduce chipset load Audio22 was a good idea, can fully disable Audio/Sound for better effect.
MP4 video is compatible with Audio22 not sure about future MOV support which is expected next year, and common in other brands.

Earlier tonight I was trying to record some driving at dusk with MOD-4Ue, but the A129 was stuck in low bitrate mode :(.

I did get some night time footage later

The A129Duo is currently the most advanced Dash Cam VIOFO offers. It features Dual Front and Rear camera plus Wifi connectivity. Highest resolution 1080@60fps single camera mode, 1080@30fps dual mode. What many owners don't discover until later is what happens to Bit Rate and how it affects Image Quality when using some or all of the A129 features. Using the latest Beta firmware v1.42 and my matching MOD-4Ue created this very revealing comparison.

A129Duo Bit Rate Comparison
Code:
                               Firmware v1.42B                  Modified FW 4Ue
                          1080@60fps     1080@30fps         1080@60fps     1080@30fps
Menu                      Single Cam      Dual Cam          Single Cam      Dual Cam
Settings                    Front       Front    Rear         Front       Front     Rear
Bit Rate Low               20.1Mbps     10.1     10.1        24.6Mbps      10.2     10.2
Bit Rate High                20.1       16.3     16.3          24.6        16.4     16.4
BR Low Wifi 2.4Ghz           20.1        8.1      7.0          20.1         8.2      7.0
BR High Wifi 2.4GHz + APP    20.1       16.3     16.3          20.1        16.4     16.2

Conclusion:
Single Front camera recording with Wifi off use 100% Bit Rate for best Image Quality.
Dual Front & Rear recording with Wifi off use less Bit Rate for less Image Quality.
Dual Front & Rear recording with Wifi on use less Bit Rate for worst Image Quality.

Dash Cams are designed to capture video evidence using the best resolution and image quality.
Leaving Wifi on for Live View shouldn't be done while driving in dual camera mode.
Recommend always disabling Wifi after adjusting Menu settings with Smartphone, long press the double-box button on right to toggle.
Suggest using 2.4GHz Wifi for stable connectivity.

Last edited:
So there isn't a way to bump Mbps in dual mode, bumping each lens up a bit, say 20Mbps per lens? Are other cameras (blackvue) behaving in same way, meaning they're splitting total listed Mbps between 2 camera lenses?

I can't use single mode as i need rear too. In fact i need rear more then i need front as i have other camera doing front as well.

BTW i had a scary hick up today. I put sdcard in with 4Ue firmware and it looked like it bricked itself. I pressed buttons, unpluged power, repluged. BRICK for 15 mintues.

Then as last resort i unplugged rear camera and camera booted up then flashed itself to that firmware. It would not power up with rear camera plugged in, with 4Ue fimrware sd or even without sd, once i put sim in while it was booting.

Once it flashed it was ok but this was scary. I will NOT be putting sd card while camera is booting anymore. Car ignition has to be off, then plug in sd card. Then turn on ignition. Don't know if firmware went into ram partially or if it was 4Ue firmware.

I did not have any issues with any previous beta releases. Also i went straight into beta mod and never had stable loaded. Not sure if any of this makes a difference.

To me image quality is most important factor as this camera supports 256GB sd cards, storage should not be that big of an issue for people. So far i'm only using 128GB card. Didn't try 256GB yet. Waiting for them to drop in price a bit.

Last edited:
How to load Custom Firmware:
  1. DOWNLOAD the version and modification desired.
  2. RENAME the FW file from FWA129_v1.20_defaultMbps_Sharp32_DICE.bin to FWA129.bin
  3. COPY new FWA129.bin file to root of microSD card.
  4. Safely Remove memory card from computer.
  5. Disconnect power to Dashcam, disconnect Rear camera then insert memory card.
  6. Connect power to Dashcam (not from Power Bank) wait 60 seconds for update.
  7. Dashcam should restart on its own.
  8. Stop recording, then enter MENU and select and perform Default Setting.
  9. Configure MENU settings.

If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader still works.
To restore Dashcam, delete current FW file from memory card then copy official A129DUO firmware file to card then Power-On wait 60 seconds for Restart.

Last edited:
So there isn't a way to bump Mbps in dual mode, bumping each lens up a bit, say 20Mbps per lens? Are other cameras (blackvue) behaving in same way, meaning they're splitting total listed Mbps between 2 camera lenses?
I can't use single mode as i need rear too. In fact i need rear more then i need front as i have other camera doing front as well.
BTW i had a scary hick up today. I put sdcard in with 4Ue firmware and it looked like it bricked itself. I pressed buttons, unpluged power, repluged. BRICK for 15 mintues.
Then as last resort i unplugged rear camera and camera booted up then flashed itself to that firmware. It would not power up with rear camera plugged in, with 4Ue fimrware sd or even without sd, once i put sim in while it was booting.
Once it flashed it was ok but this was scary. I will NOT be putting sd card while camera is booting anymore. Car ignition has to be off, then plug in sd card. Then turn on ignition. Don't know if firmware went into ram partially or if it was 4Ue firmware.
I did not have any issues with any previous beta releases. Also i went straight into beta mod and never had stable loaded. Not sure if any of this makes a difference.
To me image quality is most important factor as this camera supports 256GB sd cards, storage should not be that big of an issue for people. So far i'm only using 128GB card. Didn't try 256GB yet. Waiting for them to drop in price a bit.
VIOFO has set Bit Rate limits and locked them to those shown above. My MODs currently only affect single camera mode Wifi disabled. You are probably correct about bitrate split between dual cameras, makes sense. Agreed 20Mbps for both 1080@30fps would be better. My goal is improving image quality in all VIOFO Dash Cams using modified firmware until official improved IQ is released. I must admit A128 IQ is very good even with FW1.20 , its the Lens and sensor which limit adjustments.
Always update A129 with rear camera disconnected.

Earlier tonight I was trying to record some driving at dusk with MOD-4Ue, but the A129 was stuck in low bitrate mode :(.
To clarify, the camera was stuck in low bitrate PARKING mode. i.e. it did not come out of parking mode when I was driving.

I use high bitrate for all my normal video recording.

To clarify, the camera was stuck in low bitrate PARKING mode. i.e. it did not come out of parking mode when I was driving.

I use high bitrate for all my normal video recording.
Was wondering about that, if running the A129 Parking Mode Beta Firmware with or without matching 3-wire kit must expect crazy behavior until its sorted out. The additional Parking Mode options are great but if some 'require' that special hardwire kit and its not included in the box, and End User discovers same stuck low bitrate will cause frustration. If VIOFO doesn't include some Menu text "3-wire only" my MOD will include it later.

MOD-4Ue Sample Frames
1080p+1080p30 / High Bitrate / CPL on / WDR off

y4mlgnk4-IIHlxZ-ZiaoaXPDA_hFdGLgw-hYzabaYAQQPDY0vLy2HF9B0J-9D6qfKfjrB9U26F_p4DT8kWSBqq_CE8L_u01kIs_O7yQegb3oJgBikv3ZgZFAQwxG8cUJeHGJkPx4bUTfKi8LPtN2E9ZEdKieylW22RejibTtZkDWjmQSCsrSkAVqSLkG8CrfWRKpu5ndjZOl2Uc-2uKvD9xVA

y4mSqejUvymrhvHmxZrBZEDWr_gR0e_nAxF9rPYDNlECT-SJC18hz9BOfD9EWh5NcTUfYhcbE8vq7HWoCy4tnY-OhVOVAShTTYRUJtusaIjKX6S_gPX8QQ35-ivdJE7S6KA1301DWL9W3gnom1_if_vUS8OS5lDJi53wW8GOUNJAU73xzepdYQl6gY6bUVu6Qp5sM7uwZi8b2cSV30ByFsClw

y4mqyr3yLkFeWDLturTMvp4kMa7z5ujGv5F-sByWAoMaZQmKnqlJkYv1VkJHj-C47cwEVGVgjau68E-mj2ufPWG7n162lmrS9hl10KoFZxfibAtxhSUDHylRGoYM5_uHER8noMxtQ4VItcaCqCi8zpxA1CtUk6oJhOVP1XJp9sR2TVUpKp6HAXMAA6m_5eO3qx0O3axnos6cGqJsV94wyKjHQ

MOD-4Ue Sample Frames
1080p+1080p30 / High Bitrate / CPL on / WDR off

y4mlgnk4-IIHlxZ-ZiaoaXPDA_hFdGLgw-hYzabaYAQQPDY0vLy2HF9B0J-9D6qfKfjrB9U26F_p4DT8kWSBqq_CE8L_u01kIs_O7yQegb3oJgBikv3ZgZFAQwxG8cUJeHGJkPx4bUTfKi8LPtN2E9ZEdKieylW22RejibTtZkDWjmQSCsrSkAVqSLkG8CrfWRKpu5ndjZOl2Uc-2uKvD9xVA

y4mSqejUvymrhvHmxZrBZEDWr_gR0e_nAxF9rPYDNlECT-SJC18hz9BOfD9EWh5NcTUfYhcbE8vq7HWoCy4tnY-OhVOVAShTTYRUJtusaIjKX6S_gPX8QQ35-ivdJE7S6KA1301DWL9W3gnom1_if_vUS8OS5lDJi53wW8GOUNJAU73xzepdYQl6gY6bUVu6Qp5sM7uwZi8b2cSV30ByFsClw

y4mqyr3yLkFeWDLturTMvp4kMa7z5ujGv5F-sByWAoMaZQmKnqlJkYv1VkJHj-C47cwEVGVgjau68E-mj2ufPWG7n162lmrS9hl10KoFZxfibAtxhSUDHylRGoYM5_uHER8noMxtQ4VItcaCqCi8zpxA1CtUk6oJhOVP1XJp9sR2TVUpKp6HAXMAA6m_5eO3qx0O3axnos6cGqJsV94wyKjHQ
WOW !! Amazing A129 4Ue Sharp123+Edge132, excellent low-med-high light comparison, exactly the images required for accurate assessment. That has to be the best static photos i've seen from A129. Not sure I want to risk Beta testing Sharp123 to 124 but if you're willing can be created. Well done Sir, the perfect gift for a hacker, something to show the guy in next cell as you write code on the wall with sharpened spoon.

Back