Viofo A129 Pro Dual Dashcam - 4K Front + 1080 Rear

After watching a bit of the A129 Pro 4K front video, all 1080 video looks disappointing! I think the hardware in the rear camera is the same as the Duo, so if it doesn't look as good, maybe your brain is comparing it with the front 4K camera instead of comparing it with the old Duo rear camera?

The video you posted from the rear has all the plates in shadow with a strong sun, so difficult conditions, really need a side by side comparison with the A129 Duo before you can say that it is worse in difficult conditions like that.
You make some good points. I decided to test both setups side by side. Its not as bad as I initially thought. (Videos taken within minutes of each other, camera date/time not set correctly)

A129 Regular Version Rear Test

A129 Pro Version Rear Test

Last edited:
I think the pro version is still a bit darker than I would like but its not as bad as I initially thought. (Videos taken within minutes of each other, camera date/time not set correctly)
Yes, darker, but I think a better exposure resulting in better colour. There are quite a few cars/plates overexposed on the standard version, maybe a few underexposed on the Pro, but you can often brighten the underexposed and still read them while the overexposed are irretrievable. Also, darker probably means a shorter exposure, and thus less motion blur.

Edit: If you want to be able to brighten the dark areas then it helps to use higher bitrates since the codec will always compress the stuff it thinks you can't see first.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was referring to the 256GB A1 card that Rhody401 is currently using which, as Nigel has already pointed out, has no quoted write speed.

Rhody uses the A1 currently but wondered about the A2. Which the A2 is a great card. Run it in two cameras, no troubles what so ever.

Thanks ill prob get an A2 extreme. I would love to get the Viofo chip, but it looks like they dont offer a 256gb option yet.

The 256gb Sandisk A1 has been running in one of my A129 Duos since mid December, with zero problems. I'll re-purpose it to our other car (which has a regular A129), when I put the A129 PRO w/Sandisk A2 Extreme in my own vehicle.

Today encountered a new issue with my A129 Pro. It keeps restarting itself this morning when I was going to work. It keeps restarting until it can't power on anymore.

Had to slide it off the IR GPS mount, wait a couple of minutes then slide it back on the IR GPS mount. Was working fine after that.

I have switch out the Transcend High Endurance 128GB for a Samsung Evo Plus 128GB. Will monitor and see.

Today encountered a new issue with my A129 Pro. It keeps restarting itself this morning when I was going to work. It keeps restarting until it can't power on anymore.

Had to slide it off the IR GPS mount, wait a couple of minutes then slide it back on the IR GPS mount. Was working fine after that.

I have switch out the Transcend High Endurance 128GB for a Samsung Evo Plus 128GB. Will monitor and see.
What power supply are you using? The A129 Pro can run at higher than 1.0A, so a 2A or better USB supply is recommended.

What power supply are you using? The A129 Pro can run at higher than 1.0A, so a 2A or better USB supply is recommended.

Using the USB charger from Viofo. Maybe tomorrow I'll try my Aukey USB car charger and see.

Curious, how did you all get free samples to beta test the A129 Pro?

Got my a129 pro last week but have been extremely busy to install it. Will be testing parking mode in california heat. What hasnt really been shown yet is very lowlight night shots in comparison with a129 so I will try to get those shots/footage since there have been comparisons of everything else already. Thank you @viofo for sending out samples for testing - maybe if blackvue did the same, the DR900S wouldnt be such a POS (I owned one for a couple months before getting rid of it due to overheat issues and terrible low light performance)

Last edited:
Curious, how did you all get free samples to beta test the A129 Pro?
Some of us have been testing Viofo cameras for years. Earlier in this thread Viofo also asked for extra test volunteers.

The A129 Pro looks very interesting, currently having various issues with my Nextbase 2 channel setup and I'm looking for a good alternative. Not sure where it's available in UK?

The A129 Pro looks very interesting, currently having various issues with my Nextbase 2 channel setup and I'm looking for a good alternative. Not sure where it's available in UK?
The A129 duo is available now and is an ample 1080p dual channel, well respected cam, they do an ir version too. The 4k pro is still in testing and a month or so away id imagine.

A129 is as you say already available, on Amazon for about £146. As I'm thinking of making a change seems reasonable to wait for the Pro as there seems to be some significant benefits.

A129 is as you say already available, on Amazon for about £146. As I'm thinking of making a change seems reasonable to wait for the Pro as there seems to be some significant benefits.
im using the a129 now and will probley wait till it packs in before i upgrade, hopefully lasts a while. i must say, its been fine for the 12m i have had it.

Some of us have been testing Viofo cameras for years. Earlier in this thread Viofo also asked for extra test volunteers.
I offered myself in the same day when they posted this,but they answered that don't need more testers??

Installed my tester unit last night. Have only driven a few miles with it, but initial impressions are very good. A couple notes I've made:
-There is a decent amount of windshield glare so I might need to get a CPL filter
-I am also experiencing some sub-par quality with the rear camera - dark and grainy. This might partially be due to a dirty back windshield. Any other suggestions maybe in regards to camera placement?
-I currently have the dash cam installed on the driver's side, but might move it over to the passenger side so it is less obstructing. Hopefully I can still hide the cables so it is discrete from the exterior.

I'll be putting it through a full test tomorrow driving 1 hour through morning darkness, sitting out in the sun for 8 hours (though tomorrow is slightly cooler at 85F) (note: I don't have parking mode set up yet), and then an hour of driving home at 5:00 PM. Will upload some footage from both drives.

I find the rear to be darker too. I will try adding a small amount of +EV to it today.

It's dull and rainy this morning though. Not best for test.

Last edited:
Installed my tester unit last night. Have only driven a few miles with it, but initial impressions are very good. A couple notes I've made:
-There is a decent amount of windshield glare so I might need to get a CPL filter
-I am also experiencing some sub-par quality with the rear camera - dark and grainy. This might partially be due to a dirty back windshield. Any other suggestions maybe in regards to camera placement?
-I currently have the dash cam installed on the driver's side, but might move it over to the passenger side so it is less obstructing. Hopefully I can still hide the cables so it is discrete from the exterior.

I'll be putting it through a full test tomorrow driving 1 hour through morning darkness, sitting out in the sun for 8 hours (though tomorrow is slightly cooler at 85F) (note: I don't have parking mode set up yet), and then an hour of driving home at 5:00 PM. Will upload some footage from both drives.
You might want to ask Viofo for a firmware upgrade if you have not already had one, there have been a few improvements recently including to the parking mode and how hot it gets.

Back