Viofo A129 Pro Dual Dashcam - 4K Front + 1080 Rear

I'm not very fond of taking the dashcam out of the car. I always put the card into a USB 3.0 card reader when I want to save some footage to the laptop. It's faster than anything else. I can play the videos on the big screen from the laptop's HDMI output.

+1 to that.

+1 to that.

DarthMaul said:

I'm not very fond of taking the dashcam out of the car. I always put the card into a USB 3.0 card reader when I want to save some footage to the laptop. It's faster than anything else. I can play the videos on the big screen from the laptop's HDMI output.
I can't agree more..(y)

USB 3 card reader is definitely fastest.

USB from the camera downloads files at maximum 20 MBytes per second, normally averages 19 MBytes per second. So it is useable and easier than extracting those fiddly little microSD cards!

Wi-fi is a bit variable on my setup, not sure where the limit is, camera, computer, interference from other wifi? Fastest download over the 5G Wifi I've had is a 1 GByte file in 79 seconds, 13.27 MBytes per second, normally around 10 MBytes per second.

Here is a quick comparison with the current Viofo A119 V3:

RAW FILE HERE

Here is a quick comparison with the current Viofo A119 V3:

Only looked at the YouTube video, but it appears license plates are crisper on A119 V3. A129 Pro has sharper colors, but it was much easier to read on-coming plates with the V3 vs A129 Pro. Thoughts?

Only looked at the YouTube video, but it appears license plates are crisper on A119 V3. A129 Pro has sharper colors, but it was much easier to read on-coming plates with the V3 vs A129 Pro. Thoughts?
You had better download it then!

Playing the raw file in VLC with the zoom turned right up, it is clear that even though the A119 V3 is narrower angle, the plates and road signs are significantly clearer and more readable on the A129 Pro.

I suspect that YouTube favours the A119 because it compresses out the finest detail that it thinks you can't see leaving the narrower FOV of the A119 V3 having an advantage.

it was much easier to read on-coming plates with the V3 vs A129 Pro. Thoughts?
The Pro does have more blur of passing cars close up (i.e. at the edge of the frame) than the V3. The higher resolution of the Pro lets you see those number plates a few frames earlier, but that can be hard to see when watching the video on youtube.

I've watched the original file on my pc and the YouTube video on my phone, and it's not surprising that there's a huge difference between them!

Also, take a look at things like bricklwork on walls and buildings. Roof tiles. That sort of thing. The definition is much better there too.

Wow the quality of the pictures posted here is fantastic, especially at night. (from regular A129 to new Pro)

I wish I was testing these, as I did for the initial A119 and A129 units.

I installed another A129 today, with Viofo hardwire kit. I wish it was one of these new ones! :)

Is parking mode working with the new Pro units, the same as it does with the regular A129?

Have there been any heat related issues, with the faster processor and heat resulting from double the power consumption?

Is parking mode working with the new Pro units, the same as it does with the regular A129?

Have there been any heat related issues, with the faster processor and heat resulting from double the power consumption?
Yes, the same parking mode options are available. I've posted a 4K low bitrate example. After I get my HK3 installed I will do more parking mode testing.

No issues with heat so far, although more testing in very high temperatures would be useful.

A129 Pro - Low Bitrate - Day & Night
The A129 Pro appears to use variable bitrate according to scene complexity in its low bitrate parking mode. During the day with moving cars, people and trees blowing in the wind, the bitrate can be up to 10Mbps. At night with much less movement, the bitrate drops to 3.7Mbps.

y4mGqT4TYuw6Q7IWdaIpgwSXlCchzSBqeRTEelxcUl_X3I2zZgkCz_42Z872jm_4zJOQN1RM2QrX7U_yb-1kL8GFp2ODtZvS8tbIr_YmQC77FaWgx-AO_JdlR6Bbk32NCIYHjEagnrqQ9AbeGQYkEfuyI9JhYNhnpNEUzlJIcCf6DGgDnR4PLyHhzCy_yZ3lFzoubgS2bNlxH9Sjc2otulvqQ

y4mi_hoR3VdXETp3G-rNc3zQzR-JBXGhNagdrfI09o2i_o6FBs33L3DlV2lRHyRzw_AhP7un8c23uhiPssdYUHRzrsJZSrEydSRRmVBqCizOo9Nvb_qmS2ljuX-BCSQPROGXrOKrUJmdfAylojbxuxjk0acoj_0wkIusZ2jkBFGyJNgC53k2oFH0GT3vbkHMoWbuAat7uAaLG-2cDxuQr99Bw

We'd like to offer more samples for testing, please send PM to me if someone wants to review and test.
We don't have plan to offer samples to new members on DCT.

I will open a new thread for beta firmware testing.

Hi @viofo
I am interested in testing. Did send a PM a few days ago but didn't hear back

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

We'd like to offer more samples for testing, please send PM to me if someone wants to review and test.
We don't have plan to offer samples to new members on DCT.

I will open a new thread for beta firmware testing.
I'm interested to take the offer for sample review and testing. I already PM you.

A129 Pro - Low Bitrate - Day & Night
The A129 Pro appears to use variable bitrate according to scene complexity in its low bitrate parking mode. During the day with moving cars, people and trees blowing in the wind, the bitrate can be up to 10Mbps. At night with much less movement, the bitrate drops to 3.7Mbps.

y4mGqT4TYuw6Q7IWdaIpgwSXlCchzSBqeRTEelxcUl_X3I2zZgkCz_42Z872jm_4zJOQN1RM2QrX7U_yb-1kL8GFp2ODtZvS8tbIr_YmQC77FaWgx-AO_JdlR6Bbk32NCIYHjEagnrqQ9AbeGQYkEfuyI9JhYNhnpNEUzlJIcCf6DGgDnR4PLyHhzCy_yZ3lFzoubgS2bNlxH9Sjc2otulvqQ

y4mi_hoR3VdXETp3G-rNc3zQzR-JBXGhNagdrfI09o2i_o6FBs33L3DlV2lRHyRzw_AhP7un8c23uhiPssdYUHRzrsJZSrEydSRRmVBqCizOo9Nvb_qmS2ljuX-BCSQPROGXrOKrUJmdfAylojbxuxjk0acoj_0wkIusZ2jkBFGyJNgC53k2oFH0GT3vbkHMoWbuAat7uAaLG-2cDxuQr99Bw
NICE, finally..! :love:

A129 Pro 4K - Night video sample
59Mbps, no CPL

563MB Original 1min 20s - https://mega.nz/#!GgBlWYYZ!AloyBuI-sLu1Feaf27yLsaFzW2luKOwM-qYc_OimdQY

(sound removed because my car makes a funny noise - it's being serviced next week)

4K single video frame
y4mGieYMJNO3XZ6ryLejM_czDzlmxfgwR5hYGfH0lijl0umWfs-gTOJ0TqsGkS5KZhrlnnoEFmSSupFePlxwkic3OXxkBcuwAFG1CFaryoEMlSnDFlJx93KjFiCx3agNGo8Ne_8HfGnjmbvqfTNd2Wc25_op00LF3VpMbFXIAhgTZ3G3a3WTIp99hf4Lq_I8nmrftPb8axtAKflm8k_nfuo1w
I have the 129 Duo which works okay apart from when I want to use the Bufferd parking mode ! Will this camera just replace the Duo on the mount and connect to existing rear camera?

But will it have a better Bufferd Parking Mode option or is it all down to Firmware?

The Pro does have more blur of passing cars close up (i.e. at the edge of the frame) than the V3. The higher resolution of the Pro lets you see those number plates a few frames earlier, but that can be hard to see when watching the video on youtube.

I've watched the original file on my pc and the YouTube video on my phone, and it's not surprising that there's a huge difference between them!
Not sure that comparing your PC original image with your YouTube phone image is valid, although many people may do the same!

I just took some frame grabs from Paul's video, not sure they are entirely valid either since Paul must have produced interpolated A119 V3 video to fit it on the 4K video, and then I'm not sure my use of VLC Player and it's zoom is a perfect way to compare, but others will be doing the same, so maybe it is perfectly valid, anyway here are the results:

A129 Zoomed in on Paul's video:
y4mB6SV9K9mGxTxC2bitwEEhv3yCMrNVuVXZptM5kV_PBz1UtphD8F4eh2hwlNZybZJ-mtJHZHLILz3rTLB7fIZYQmJ7xfw5puyD-j-Tq-erFt5Zr-H834n-Ufg4j808q5XqL6QR4BQwK96OmAFhME6XNZQLAroENoRJOHHcYYGi2B-FAs0wneA6WolHk8zEAlA

A119 V3 Zoomed in on Paul's video (From the same frame, just moved the zoom box over the V3 part of the frame).
y4mk4i9HeG_POWMJ_o9r57VjzAhJeGLYhmp3svB1oxJnlJn1ouSRj6IlW52u-p9MWcgObNJ-B-9Wc73GcsdgOSNmNW_mvU1IBequImrS0Wy-3l0HlEudwMDHglBnEWHJRcln6I3W2IW0f8Jt4Sh2_uLA8vOH0hM-2JztYES7Fun6McTvXvm6kO5pwe7np5hIZmC

To me the plates on the A129 are more readable, especially the distant one, the driver's faces have far more detail on the A129, and I can see three plates instead of two plates due to the A129 having a wider field of view - sometimes a very useful feature to have (No I didn't change the zoom level between the two). Of course having a wider field of view puts the A129 at a bit of a disadvantage, reducing the pixels per plate, but just going for narrower and narrower fields of view is not great if it means that you can't see things because they are off the edge.

Last edited:
I have the 129 Duo which works okay apart from when I want to use the Bufferd parking mode ! Will this camera just replace the Duo on the mount and connect to existing rear camera?

But will it have a better Bufferd Parking Mode option or is it all down to Firmware?
Essentially, yes it can be placed on the Duo mount with the Duo rear camera, although the mount has been upgraded a bit to allow the parking mode signal from the HK3 hardwire kit to work when plugged into the mount, and as a result there may now be an incompatibility with the Duo's GPS. So upgrading the mount is recommended.

Hopefully the buffered parking mode will work correctly on both, after the Duo gets it's next firmware update.

The point I was trying to make (not very well) is that if you look at the video from both cameras at the point when the V3 can see the plate nice and big close up, then there is blur on the Pro. However, if you go back 8 frames then the Pro gives a clearer image.

1565687831586.png 1565688205773.png

y4mIg1GzLzVn8HDoIMi3y-cVEXY_c9BoqL1WjoUUIhPDYHONJxaG99zxDZQQukyiMG_dBwTdaaAyTKDdWPMvytRVCLvMKbI-oNQv1j-N-EH9subHjlsmZkfeMMWR12IJ61GjVr0GBxpc5-Dsk02kxia4rTm7nhfQJxOYun5UD-687oltzARlZAUrkiCCKOA3jnByG5sKDE1HDD1Rp62sEMdNw

y4m708z2c2oUiJ9nLahQ0n9KiRkYDhGzu1Eeoa6qyvaJt6SOhK5BxJyXLfix0L5womkn2g7qq8Zcvq4lM2f1kPk7iBsqfc6CKGRztvjoGvgsTbYMDCfd6lcy14tDQBDnzbUKEI_WG24WkPwipFLCPRLyDB13r88pXMWs2QqyXKVe6e4zvQPXCptzeu-x32Cn9LKd2-byty-3m_eJCsQ482rTg

The point I was trying to make (not very well) is that if you look at the video from both cameras at the point when the V3 can see the plate nice and big close up, then there is blur on the Pro. However, if you go back 8 frames then the Pro gives a clearer image.
Part of the extra blur on the Pro is due to the wider angle meaning that things are moving faster across the pixels as they approach the side of the image. If you only look at the part of the image that the V3 can see then that effect is removed, well, on the left of the image anyway, Paul's cameras are not both facing directly forward!

Back